Game Development: Nothing but Testing

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Nothing but Testing

Postby The_Lich_King » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:32 am

jordancoles wrote:Private servers would split the population and make the empty worlds of late game even emptier

You can already play a private server if you go north enough and that's true nearly every world

This, plus i imagine you would get burnt out on haven uber quickly without other people, because then there would be no other player interaction. Already a huge problem with this world has been a lack of trade, pvp, and just player interaction in general. I don't know why anyone would wanna play without any at all.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Granger » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:18 am

The_Lich_King wrote:I don't know why anyone would wanna play without any at all.

Talking to the unknowns you meet, before you (*) cut them down for the lulz so they rage quit, could change that.

*) Not against you in person, just illustrating a possible reason for why some might like a server for their own.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:47 am

Granger wrote:
The_Lich_King wrote:I don't know why anyone would wanna play without any at all.

Talking to the unknowns you meet, before you (*) cut them down for the lulz so they rage quit, could change that.

*) Not against you in person, just illustrating a possible reason for why some might like a server for their own.

Sounds like those people accidentally started playing an open world pvp permadeath survival game when they were really meant to play harvest moon.
Zentetsuken

Postby Granger » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am

Zentetsuken wrote:Sounds like those people accidentally started playing an open world pvp permadeath survival game when they were really meant to play harvest moon.
That might be possible. But should that actually be the case these people would be the perfect target audience for private servers, giving them a private world where they won't be cut down by others, effectively turning a game that isn't for them into one that is.

And these kind of players happily harvesting in private worlds wouldn't affect the main server population anyway, simply because the main server isn't a game they'll continue to play (the moment they realize that they accidently started with the 'wrong' game) anyway.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby tyrtix » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:16 pm

just to help people understand: every time wurm online added a new server, it just made the population split up from the existing ones, and have a small but steady quantity of players go away from the game. One server is enough, i still find untouched places around and even not-on-kingdom areas. Tbh, i'd like to have the chance to check those islands in the middle of the ocean that are reachable just by knarr or snekkja: i've tried to spawn in such places but on over 15 toons i spawned like 12 in the south area.

Well, i just imagined if devs can add a way to spawn in less populated areas if a player wants it...could be fun and very useful as an option, especially now that we have oceans.
tyrtix

Postby MadNomad » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Cayur wrote:
peanutzrgud wrote:And for those of you who are not pvp and enjoy the peaceful hermit experience, we have......?

All the updates before these??? Are you brain dead?

yes.
MadNomad

Postby Agrik » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:25 pm

tyrtix wrote:One server is enough,
if it's large enough.
Agrik

Postby CaveHermit » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Idk but jorb never understand ppl what they want. PPL was asking for combat where will be some skill no random. That you shot from punch and shot enemy its random rly rly random here is no who better will fight just you will use shift + attack and you will shot enemy or no Full random stuff.
CaveHermit

Postby jorb » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:55 pm

CaveHermit wrote:Idk but jorb never understand ppl what they want. PPL was asking for combat where will be some skill no random. That you shot from punch and shot enemy its random rly rly random here is no who better will fight just you will use shift + attack and you will shot enemy or no Full random stuff.

Not sure what you mean. The system is entirely deterministic.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:34 pm

Granger wrote:And these kind of players happily harvesting in private worlds wouldn't affect the main server population anyway, simply because the main server isn't a game they'll continue to play (the moment they realize that they accidently started with the 'wrong' game) anyway.

Giving J&L the chore of whatever work is involved in setting up the ability for people to create private servers seems like something that would affect the main server population pretty dramatically. Doesn't sound worth it to spend time pacifying a bunch of people that only bring opinions and input to the table that go against the grain of the main direction of the game.
Zentetsuken

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements