Game Development: Glimmer Thatch

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Glimmer Thatch

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Some good ideas there, bois. I like tying things to shared resources/intensity/the like. Will iterate.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:15 pm

In general for the current discussion: As far as "powerful moves" go, let's remember this is an open world game, not some arena match where you respawn after getting taken out, or at least move on to the next match in a few minutes.

Pan_w_okularach wrote:Agreed. Getting 10-15 coins on every opponent before the fight could actually start was pure cancer. I suggest adding some sort of combat stamina: you start with full combat stamina, every move, offensive or defensive, costs some amount, and it refills over time. Kinda like the attack bar from Legacy.

Let's not forget the old exploits from this where people would stack (IP, advantage, I forget whatever else) on something inconsequential. I know some of it did get fixed during w7, but seems like it was too little, too late given the massive change to combat with the start of w8.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:39 pm

The IP mechanic in 1v1s isn't terrible, but managing multiple pools of IP across multiple targets and switching targets is just awful and always had been

Custom clients make it more bearable but then the screen just becomes so cluttered with overhead displays that you might as well be fighting a black collision box rather than another player wearing gear

Directional combat seems to be the way to go but ping differences and the IP mechanics are making it clumsy now.

I am also not a huge fan of the "combat interaction" that you need to initiate before being able to use combat moves. I would prefer it if we could que moves at any time from our hotkeys and then initiate combat more freely in that way. Group combat usually starts with agroing everyone near you and stacking coins. If one of your targets runs too far away and loses agro, you have to get coins all over again. It makes for a lot of micromanagement and spam clicking that I feel takes a lot of the focus and fun away from group combat
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby bmjclark » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:40 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Vigilance wrote:New combat is so fucking incoherent between two people, one with 60 ping and one with about 200. I am completely unable to put up a convincing fight.

This would absolutely kill the game for me. It's conceptually okay, I don't like it, but holy fucking crap this netcode and this ping have thoroughly convinced me that this is the single most detrimental implementation that could ever come to me.

I assume the high ping population is small/not worth catering to given the state of flower menus/coracles.
450MS btw

Yea it's just everyone in NA who needs um.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby jordancoles » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:41 pm

bmjclark wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:
Vigilance wrote:New combat is so fucking incoherent between two people, one with 60 ping and one with about 200. I am completely unable to put up a convincing fight.

This would absolutely kill the game for me. It's conceptually okay, I don't like it, but holy fucking crap this netcode and this ping have thoroughly convinced me that this is the single most detrimental implementation that could ever come to me.

I assume the high ping population is small/not worth catering to given the state of flower menus/coracles.
450MS btw

Yea it's just everyone in NA who needs um.

I idle at like 250-285ms and at one point I saw it spike to 460 for some reason. This is my life in HNH since legacy
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby CTheRain » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:18 pm

It sounds like you guys are talking about the rogues energy bar from WoW.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:08 pm

neeco wrote:You can outrun someone using gftj on run speed, much less sprint.

Can you? On the latest build? How?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:10 pm

Pan_w_okularach wrote:1. Multiple openings. Why are we doing multiple openings, again? What does it achieve that one opening can't? Needless convolution.

So that no every fight is always about cleaving, and only that? So that fights can have state that matters? So that you can unlock more powerful attacks through intelligent manipulation of said state?

I'm not wed to multiple openings, but those are the reasons behind it, at least.

jorb

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:20 pm

Tarnum wrote:Anyway running around enemy army and gather ip on each enemy untill you got enough to start fight not even fun

I could see how it could play out like that if you're using take aim from the old systems, but does it really now that you gain IP from actual hits?

jorb

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:09 pm

jordancoles wrote:The IP mechanic in 1v1s isn't terrible, but managing multiple pools of IP across multiple targets and switching targets is just awful and always had been

Custom clients make it more bearable but then the screen just becomes so cluttered with overhead displays that you might as well be fighting a black collision box rather than another player wearing gear

I am also not a huge fan of the "combat interaction" that you need to initiate before being able to use combat moves. I would prefer it if we could que moves at any time from our hotkeys and then initiate combat more freely in that way. Group combat usually starts with agroing everyone near you and stacking coins. If one of your targets runs too far away and loses agro, you have to get coins all over again. It makes for a lot of micromanagement and spam clicking that I feel takes a lot of the focus and fun away from group combat

Wasn't all of this the case in Legacy as well?

jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements