Game Development: Glimmer Thatch

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Glimmer Thatch

Postby Astarisk » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Vigilance wrote:New combat is so fucking incoherent between two people, one with 60 ping and one with about 200. I am completely unable to put up a convincing fight.

This would absolutely kill the game for me. It's conceptually okay, I don't like it, but holy fucking crap this netcode and this ping have thoroughly convinced me that this is the single most detrimental implementation that could ever come to me.

Yeah ping is always going to be a concern for me. I already feel the effects of it with the current combat system we have, I can only imagine how the new one will feel with it.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Archiplex » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:13 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Granger wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:450MS btw

Unless you've completed ~ 1/3 of your trip to the moon: something is wrong with your internet connection.

There's a good chunk of the world that doesn't have high speed internet connections available. Some of them move little faster than dial-up with comparable latency--250-500ms average. Some of that is even in "rich first world nations."

I'm one of those, although i'd like to note that i had a pretty fine time fighting a guy with 50 ping on 200-400 ping connection

Haven't tried the latest changes yet though
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby neeco » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:37 pm

Archiplex wrote: I'm one of those, although i'd like to note that i had a pretty fine time fighting a guy with 50 ping on 200-400 ping connection

Haven't tried the latest changes yet though

Maybe their brain lags.
Thats enough of a difference to be quite annoying between two competent people, especially with fluctuating ping that you can't adjust for.

Not that it matters, because you can actually just run away and become immune to damage.
jorb wrote:It may be too difficult to flee now

You can outrun someone using gftj on run speed, much less sprint.
W9: Hermit
W10: LS of EoCity
W11: God King Emperor of the East [Retired]
W12: Wouldn't you like to know

jorb wrote:The running server is the test server.
neeco

Postby Tarnum » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:46 am

IP mechanic make huge problems in teamfights, biggest combat problems is about IP and targeting in huge teamfights, it was so annoying at old metheorite fights of this world. Can we have any outher way? New combat looks better, but maby we can got cast time or like this instead of ip? Or strong attaks will be useble only on enemy with some amount of openings? Or stamina cost? Anyway running around enemy army and gather ip on each enemy untill you got enough to start fight not even fun
W3 LS of Boar Bay
W4 LS of Herbalist
W5 LS of Axes village
W6 LS of Abode of Hermit
W7 LS of Tarnum's Hermitage
W8 Hermit
W9 Emerald City, Ni Knights
W10 King of Silver Soul
W11 AD, LS of Ocean Store
Tarnum

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Tarnum wrote:IP mechanic make huge problems in teamfights, biggest combat problems is about IP and targeting in huge teamfights, it was so annoying at old metheorite fights of this world. Can we have any outher way? New combat looks better, but maby we can got cast time or like this instead of ip? Or strong attaks will be useble only on enemy with some amount of openings? Or stamina cost? Anyway running around enemy army and gather ip on each enemy untill you got enough to start fight not even fun

i completely agree with tarnum on this. i think its a good idea to part ways with ip mechanics and make it something different.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:02 pm

1. Multiple openings. Why are we doing multiple openings, again? What does it achieve that one opening can't? Needless convolution.
2. The AoE's on all of the new moves are way too big. Is this even melee combat at this point? IMO no attack should have bigger range than 3-4 tiles or group combat is going to be very unpredictable.

wonder-ass wrote:
Tarnum wrote:IP mechanic make huge problems in teamfights, biggest combat problems is about IP and targeting in huge teamfights, it was so annoying at old metheorite fights of this world. Can we have any outher way? New combat looks better, but maby we can got cast time or like this instead of ip? Or strong attaks will be useble only on enemy with some amount of openings? Or stamina cost? Anyway running around enemy army and gather ip on each enemy untill you got enough to start fight not even fun

i completely agree with tarnum on this. i think its a good idea to part ways with ip mechanics and make it something different.

Agreed. Getting 10-15 coins on every opponent before the fight could actually start was pure cancer. I suggest adding some sort of combat stamina: you start with full combat stamina, every move, offensive or defensive, costs some amount, and it refills over time. Kinda like the attack bar from Legacy.
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby Archiplex » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:37 pm

I do agree with both, particularly bringing back the attack bar in some way or form.

I think we should part ways with any individual-target tracking point system (initiative so far) and focus on a target-less combat system (where the targeting system only exists for things like jugular needing to select one person)

Stick to buffs, debuffs and personal resources more, IMO.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby HasseKebab » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:41 pm

I think ip costs should be really high and have really powerful abilities or damage on them instead of what we have now tbh
HasseKebab

Postby Archiplex » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:52 pm

HasseKebab wrote:I think ip costs should be really high and have really powerful abilities or damage on them instead of what we have now tbh

I would still rather it be tied to a different resource than IP.

I would normally suggest that every time you hit anyone, you just get a personal resource bar of "IP", but I think the obvious claim to that would be using an alt to 'stack' ip on and then go on running into the battle- so perhaps it should be something more like active combat "heat" (not intensity from legacy, but similar) where fighting a lot in a single moment gives you a lot of heat, but running away or using defensive skills reduces it, and you need certain 'heat' to do certain skills. Being hit should also give heat.

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby HasseKebab » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Oh yeah that actually sounds great, abillities being tied to combat instensity instead of ip or other resource tbh, obviously these moves should have their own cooldown instead of a shared one or something along the lines. We could also have the combat intensity generate IP's instead of the people in the combat doing certain ip generating moves, giving both players a fair chance to win, just comes down to how the players would use their ip's respectively.
HasseKebab

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements