Game Development: Glimmer Thatch

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Glimmer Thatch

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:12 pm

jorb wrote:
Tarnum wrote:Anyway running around enemy army and gather ip on each enemy untill you got enough to start fight not even fun

I could see how it could play out like that if you're using take aim from the old systems, but does it really now that you gain IP from actual hits?

its still not a fun mechanic and really fucks over 1v2+ scenarios since getting up close to use punch is a quick way to die. also the extra openings dont accomplish anything it would play out the same way if opk cleave was linked to normal openings. a better version would be an attack bar that goes up by using abilities and once its at x# you can use the bigger moves on anyone and it SHOULDNT be linked to a single person.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:51 pm

wonder-ass wrote:its still not a fun mechanic and really fucks over 1v2+ scenarios since getting up close to use punch is a quick way to die.

Well, yes, but should your priority in a fight like that be to get IP? Why? Why not fight more opportunistically and focus on retreat/fleeing/whatever the better recourse is?

also the extra openings dont accomplish anything it would play out the same way if opk cleave was linked to normal openings.

I have to doubt that. If cleave were tied to the normal opening, or even just to IP, I'd use it all day erry day. It would make several of the lighter/simpler attacks moot.

a better version would be an attack bar that goes up by using abilities and once its at x# you can use the bigger moves on anyone and it SHOULDNT be linked to a single person.

That'd be nice, but in that case I'd build myself up against a bunny rabbit before the fight even starts, which was precisely the case in Legacy before we change IP to be per fighting relation.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:18 pm

jorb wrote:That'd be nice, but in that case I'd build myself up against a bunny rabbit before the fight even starts, which was precisely the case in Legacy before we change IP to be per fighting relation.

Well, yes, but should your priority in a fight like that be to get IP? Why? Why not fight more opportunistically and focus on retreat/fleeing/whatever the better recourse is

a fix for this would be to make it like how meditation works you only have a short moment to where you can use this attack bar.

because this game is nothing but ganking people and if the person getting ganked had a chance to fight that be cool. instead of it being a run fest for 1 hour.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby bmjclark » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 am

jorb wrote:
Pan_w_okularach wrote:1. Multiple openings. Why are we doing multiple openings, again? What does it achieve that one opening can't? Needless convolution.

So that no every fight is always about cleaving, and only that? So that fights can have state that matters? So that you can unlock more powerful attacks through intelligent manipulation of said state?

I'm not wed to multiple openings, but those are the reasons behind it, at least.

People are just going to find the best move to use anyways and largely ignore the other openings like 90% of what happens right now. Could always bring advantage back since you already did some work implementing stuff like it? :)
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby jordancoles » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 am

bmjclark wrote:
jorb wrote:
Pan_w_okularach wrote:1. Multiple openings. Why are we doing multiple openings, again? What does it achieve that one opening can't? Needless convolution.

So that no every fight is always about cleaving, and only that? So that fights can have state that matters? So that you can unlock more powerful attacks through intelligent manipulation of said state?

I'm not wed to multiple openings, but those are the reasons behind it, at least.

People are just going to find the best move to use anyways and largely ignore the other openings like 90% of what happens right now. Could always bring advantage back since you already did some work implementing stuff like it? :)

4+ advantage = cleave?

Of if you bring back intensity, cleave could be unlocked after a certain intensity level which has the same sort of agro and wait to engage mechanics that stacking coins currently does but at least it prevents people from engaging and immediately cleaving you :?:
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Vigilance » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Oh gosh we're still talking about this new combat?

Chop is worthless, the net code is too bad to actually enjoy this system, fights take way too long unless someone is deliberately ignoring their defenses or someone lands enough punches (good luck against sentient people) to oppknock cleave three times.

Can't wait for custom client power creep to be significant in immediate pvp instead of just implied via spiral bots etc.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Jalpha » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:08 am

The combat system is getting closer to being the sole point of failure within the game mechanics with every patch. I encourage the discussion and only regret that I have nothing to add. Except to offer encouragement to the devs for attempting to perfect a combat system which works in spite of discordant latencies between combatants unlike the Salem system.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby dafels » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:47 am

bmjclark wrote:
jorb wrote:

People are just going to find the best move to use anyways and largely ignore the other openings like 90% of what happens right now.

Yea, I have never liked the multiple openings aka "multiple defence bars" idea, it requires too much balancing in order for it to work and I think 1 defence bar is enough...
dafels

Postby pppp » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Somewhat tangential to what is discussed here and should be obvious:
It can be easily proven that in a stable system if a duel always ends with death of one character then average time between fights will be equal to the time required to (re)build a combat capable character. Both times expressed in [player x hours] and the time will be much longer if there are other things to do in game than building a fighter over and over again.
pppp

Previous

Return to Announcements