Game Development: Hit Sting

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Hit Sting

Postby jordancoles » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:25 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Added an effect to illustrate the hit area for normal attacks. Pew-pew laser fight says hi, but we really have to indicate it.

This should help quite a bit
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Archiplex » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:34 am

jordancoles wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] Added an effect to illustrate the hit area for normal attacks. Pew-pew laser fight says hi, but we really have to indicate it.

This should help quite a bit

It's definitely the gem of the update.

I think they could be stylized to remove pew-pew laserness, though. Make the indicator for sting a giant spearhead with a rectangular 'box' around it to show the hitbox, or stuff like cleave/chop the image of an axe on the floor and whatnot
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby MarcusXDead » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:00 pm

>Working on new combat mechanics and still ignoring archery.
Maybe you could read a post I made half a year ago - and give it a chance while ballancing combat?
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=63924
Might be just the right time to bring that dead stat from the grave, halloween is coming!
...At least in the world 12.
I've written my suggestions back then, and while you're reworking combat, maaybe you could try at least adding some archery/support related moves-stances? It'll help creating a situation, where you'll be "having to choose a combat style in advance".
I honestly like choosing non-meta playstyles in the games, and even in current shitty state I found a couple uses to archery in early game, but I still felt preety useless being compated to the guys who took boats and just speared everything to death.
Ofc I have no idea about late game pvp, but if you're doing ballancing - might as well start merging archery reballance while you're at it?
^The wall of text^
MarcusXDead

Postby jorb » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:31 pm

We're not ignoring archery, but on the contrary have plans to integrate it with the system, ideally giving archery moves and such. An archery revamp is however not a necessary condition for launching the changes to melee/unarmed combat, and thus it would at the very least be a later implementation.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby LaserSaysPew » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:36 pm

jorb wrote:Pew-pew laser fight says hi, but we really have to indicate it.

I approve.
LaserSaysPew

Postby jordancoles » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:14 am

jorb wrote:We're not ignoring archery, but on the contrary have plans to integrate it with the system, ideally giving archery moves and such. An archery revamp is however not a necessary condition for launching the changes to melee/unarmed combat, and thus it would at the very least be a later implementation.

What are the thoughts for the new system and PVM?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:47 am

Only thing I really like about this system is it makes having to switch between targets not as important, because that's a cluster fuck.

Ping seems so important, idk if combat will be possible for people in america, at least when the really thin moves exist. Having bad ping causing you to miss your moves entirely seems over the top for a game with high-stakes and only one central server.

Friendly fire seems dumb and would just add to the feeling of clumsiness/clunkiness, especially when combined with this ping problem. Preventing friendly fire also seems dumb and would feel forced.

Moves stopping movement makes running away too easy. You pretty much can't hit anyone that just decides to not fight because they just out-run your attacks. And every single fight has and will always be one side trying to run towards a more favorable position and the other side deciding to chase and trying to take picks.

Jugular isn't enough to stop this forever-running. And it can't really be because then you have to use it on your allies/animals to run away.

How will this interact with boats/knarrs? Still just completely broken?

How about fixing the stupid stuff still surrounding the current combat system that will plague this one? Coracles take up way too much inventory space for how mandatory they are. Strider credoing/bunny slippers on kritters is stupid. Continents discourage pvp even further, if you're far away from your home without carrying a full prepared inventory of water/food/coracle you'll just get chased to death. Belt changes make inventory space way more sparse before troll belts, lots of fights this world were just ended because there isn't enough space to hold enough water, food, and a coracle for a chase. Winter sleds are probably busted but pvp is dead so no one's tried them.

Move queueing makes no sense with this aiming system, just get rid of it like literally every MOBA.

Mostly just posting this so I have a list to spam on the stream.
DDDsDD999

Postby Archiplex » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:28 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:How will this interact with boats/knarrs? Still just completely broken?

Since i agree with a majority of what you said, I wanted to chime in here

I think it'd be really cool if combat just didn't work on boats (except maybe with bows, albeit harder?) and instead ship combat had its own special system, featuring ship mechanics such as ramming or shooting flaming arrows at other ships to damage them and ultimately cause them to no longer be able to be sailed (but not destroyed! utter destruction should take far longer).
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:28 pm

jordancoles wrote:
jorb wrote:We're not ignoring archery, but on the contrary have plans to integrate it with the system, ideally giving archery moves and such. An archery revamp is however not a necessary condition for launching the changes to melee/unarmed combat, and thus it would at the very least be a later implementation.

wat?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Archiplex » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:32 pm

jorb wrote:
jordancoles wrote:

wat?

Player vs monster, presumably.

W7 - Hermit
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements