Game Development: Hit Sting

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Hit Sting

Postby Archiplex » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:56 pm

loftar wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:thoughts about removing the forced only 10 moves? it would be better imo if we could just use all of them.

Well, one of the main reasons why we haven't wanted to do that is that it wasn't particularly nice to need like three or four whole toolbelts in both Legacy and Salem just to fit all the moves. Also, while I'm open to the idea that it might be naïve, I'd like to think that having to choose a combat style in advance might offer some fun variance when fighting unknown people.

I highly agree with this angle, but I want to stress that this will only work if there is a broad variety of combat styles (not just moves- combat styles and builds.). Like, way more than exists. And at that, each combat style should be pretty viable to use in general- I did like the variety of metas w8 combat experienced after all.

I don't mean to speak down about it at all either, but at the current rate of new attacks being released Im almost afraid that if thats your ultimate goal, that introducing enough combat moves will take well into next year- and while having these small updates normally is fine to me, I can see people drumming up more "dead game" talk as all the patches add essentially nothing but a fix or two to the main game.

Have you all been busy (I recall jorb has another game he's working on, too), is this harder to work on internally than we think, Or are you all also working on a super secret project behind the scenes as well like w12? The slow, small patch thing is a bit worrying, and just having a bit of clarity as to why it's happening would probably ease some worries. Maybe.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Mary_CZ » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Flyrella wrote:I want more non green thatching materials please.
maybe fine clay roofs or metal thatching?

Also, maybe you just should try to play with some custom clients like Amber? It could be a fresh account for safety, but it has so many useful features

Good idea Fly, I wish windows and chimney for houses, too.
Mary_CZ

Postby yogo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:01 pm

great update, keep the good work!
yogo

Postby jorb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Archiplex wrote:I don't mean to speak down about it at all either, but at the current rate of new attacks being released Im almost afraid that if thats your ultimate goal, that introducing enough combat moves will take well into next year- and while having these small updates normally is fine to me, I can see people drumming up more "dead game" talk as all the patches add essentially nothing but a fix or two to the main game.

We're treading carefully, and spend a lot of time testing, theorizing, and discussing what we're doing and where we're going. If the end result is that we get combat to some semblance of a working order, I'm honestly happy to have it take the remainder of the year.

The demise of the game is a constant prophecy, and the gaem is always ded. Nihil novum sub sole.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Ysh » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:55 pm

I have been only half pay attention to update lately. It is correct that now my battles are fight with ghostly disembodied arms float behind me? I can stand this change. Pun intended.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Clemence » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:08 pm

Never understood combat thats why i only eat vegeatbles.
Clemence

Postby not_a_cat » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Combat crazy idea: customize-able moves. Ability to modify movements range, angle, effects by the price of IP, windup/cooldown time and counter-effects (like openings on an attacker).
Less crazy thought: a dedicated topic to separate and consolidate new combat discussion posts
not_a_cat

Postby sabinati » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:06 pm

*tips hat*
M'raker
sabinati

Postby Gutharr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Thx lorb and joftar :-*
Gutharr

Postby Jalpha » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:10 pm

Flyrella wrote:I want more non green thatching materials please.
maybe fine clay roofs or metal thatching?

Slate roofs when?
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements