Game Development: Hit Sting

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Hit Sting

Postby abt79 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:20 pm

A bestiary in the test server might help give insight into PvM encounters and allow people to test and get a feel for the new combat system when no one else is on.
abt79

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:14 pm

sting is kinda trash imo! i cool idea i had for sting is that your character lunges forward with his sword x tiles (depending on weapon) instead of another stationary attack that looks identical too chop :P

p.s. add more trees to the test server so we can see how jug fairs against lots of trees : )
also add ip to jug so its less spammed its so easy to spam someone to 100% opening with multiple people.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Vigilance » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:41 am

what is the takeaway remark from devs regarding how awkwardly clunky and non-functional this combat feels

im kind of on the other side of an ocean. i'm almost certain that if this combat goes through pvp is an entire non-option for me, and honestly it might even get to the point that pve isnt an option either. this combat seems like it will REQUIRE smoother netcode and lower pings.

no idea how much of this is a "Grass is greener" situation, but seeing as how people seem to actually like this combat (with everyone i've heard liking it being european?) i doubt that concept.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby jordancoles » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:09 am

I just hopped on the test server for a bit for some spars. It's decently fun but sometimes I'd get a weird delay on the moves.
I'd click to que it and like 1s would pass before it would start, which is pretty shit for twitch combat.

Op knock and cleave can be landed through trees and stuff but normal moves can't from what I tried.
Green punch gains IP if you land it, even if they defend against the dmg.
I prefer that over take aim though, I think. So far anyways.

Blue punches are really easy to land and they work as a nice counter move but in small spaces they'll be pretty free.
You can also quick dodge or blue punch to counter cleave, but that also seems sorta fair considering you can hit cleaves over walls and shit.

Haymaker is pretty bad unless you have them cornered in a house or something..
But if that's the case then you're probably better off punch > punch > op knock > cleaving or blue punch spamming them into the corner and then switching to chop or green punches

The lazer beams help a lot for knowing what is happening, but knowing which target you're currently in combat with less-so. Perhaps a red circle under the player would also help since it's hard to see the arrow when you're decently zoomed out.

Go for the Jugular is really strong if you can land it, moreso if they don't see you charge it up--likely common in group fights

I'm really happy combat moves don't cost stamina or anything like that, tying it to phlegm and yb in salem was a mistake imo
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby jordancoles » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:12 am

Did some more spars.

Friendly fire seems fine imo. It adds more skill to team play and prevents total overkills in tight spaces. For example if someone were to run into a small house, with friendly fire disabled, one of their attackers could block the doorway inside of a house while everyone else could indescriminately op knock and then cleave for easy and massive dmg on one target.

The targetting system is a little clunky in group combat but it is needed for moves that lock-on like jugular.

Op knock lasts quite a long time, almost to the point where you can go half a fight with a red bar on your character. I don't really have a problem with not having moves to easily lower the red bar, but if it decreased 25-30% quicker it would be more of a 'window of opportunity' rather than flicking the 'on switch' for cleave for the rest of the encounter.

Another thing to consider which we haven't seen before is being able to see the HP of your opponent. Maybe it reveals too much, I'm not sure. If you were to chop someone and do a good chunk of dmg and if you see that you only hit them for 10% of their total hp, then it might be a good indication that you should run away instead of fighting an impossible fight. Previously you could hit them once and judge their stats based on the opening you would raise. Since openings aren't really a thing in the new system, you are sort of blind in that way
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Archiplex » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:10 am

Noticed that its a bit awkward how easily people can dodge attacks by running 'into' a person at an angle, since many attacks are VERY thing where they originate (on the hearthling) and either get thicker or just keep that consistent thickness as they go out.

Maybe all attacks should have a very, very small semicircle in a 180 degree (or realistically more like 120) angle in front of the hearthling that triggers the attack? Or make attacks a little thicker at the start (and thus make cones spread a little less)?

To illustrate: Image
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby HasseKebab » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:56 pm

True, there should be a box in front of the character for those kind of moves which should guarantee a hit at extremely close ranges like that.
HasseKebab

Postby Agrik » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 pm

jordancoles wrote:to see the HP of your opponent. Maybe it reveals too much, I'm not sure.
It does, as long as there is a way to bypass a "non-rage protection" by knowing target's HP.

jordancoles wrote:If you were to chop someone and do a good chunk of dmg and if you see that you only hit them for 10% of their total hp, then it might be a good indication that you should run away instead of fighting an impossible fight.
Maybe it would be enough to show health very roughly, like in 25% steps or larger. Probably even randomized to make it impossible to calculate total HP from level when transition occurred. E.g. three states with borders 70±15% and 30±15%.

Archiplex wrote:Maybe all attacks should have a very, very small semicircle in a 180 degree (or realistically more like 120) angle in front of the hearthling that triggers the attack? Or make attacks a little thicker at the start (and thus make cones spread a little less)?
Shouldn't it depend on the kind of an attack? If one is crushing an enemy with a downward hammering strike, I doubt he's going to hit anything near his shoulder. Such strike, or a stinging forward attack, naturally has a narrow zone of hitting, IMO. While a sweeping attack, OTOH, is reasonably to have hitting a wide semicircle, yep.
Last edited by Agrik on Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agrik

Postby Fierce_Deity » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:54 am

If you will give a hitbox to attacks like Archiplex suggest then the damage closer to the attack origin should be reduced. "Stepping into an attack" is a legitimate way to avoid taking a hit to yourself in a vital area or at all. If someones swingin their arm for a chop and you step in past that arm, then you shouldn't be taking full chop damage. So rather than give attacks a small semicircle of damage, I would rather see attacks do more or less damage at certain parts of the move. Being hit by cleave at max range could be more devastating than a close range blow.
Fierce_Deity

Previous

Return to Announcements