Game Development: Shieldswipe

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Shieldswipe

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:53 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:The problem is you have to stand still to throw an attack that isn't low-blow, and those also knock your opponent back, creating massive distance just by trying to attack.

this is one of the reasons i thought stationary attacks was a really bad idea for haven pvp. the question is do we want a game where running away is easy or a game where running away is difficult. if running becomes easy youll see a lot more people outside to fight but likelyhood of killing them is low and if you make running really hard youll see a lot less people out to fight and a lot more gank squads to get a quick kill.

i think that its fine the way it is and that you guys should focus on actual things that would make people want to pvp instead of run away like meteor.
expanding how realms work to enforce pvp new events like meteor and with how new combat works could actually maybe even think about some decent bosses with aoe attacks (kraken and a not crappy whale :P )
Last edited by wonder-ass on Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby abt79 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:57 am

But guys, if they allowed us to use attacks without inhibiting movement that would just be ridiculously unrealistic! I mean, it’s not like the human body has legs AND arms that can move independent of one another, right?
abt79

Postby Archiplex » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:34 am

Yeah, I'm kind of agreeing with the idea that running away should be easier than trapping someone into a fight; gank squads are never that cool in games, and as long as it isn't as silly as the speed-boost-stacking era where it was impossible to catch anyone at all, I think running away should be easier than being able to catch someone

There are trees, rivers, speed boosts and all to compete with, but ultimately even people running 'away' can make mistakes too- and as long as there are SOME tools to help catch someone running, I think it's fine.

Would suck if you were basically 'dead' as soon as someone triggered combat on you after all.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby CTheRain » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:56 am

Wouldn't archery moves be the solution to running away? Or bolas.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby MrPunchers » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:01 am

CTheRain wrote:Wouldn't archery moves be the solution to running away? Or bolas.

You weren't around during archery bots. Also ranged combat does not fit into this, 10 people running around with bows one tapping people does not sound fun. Bolas (aka movement modifiers) are also VERY not fun. Think before you post.
Suck me good and hard thru my jorts
MrPunchers

Postby abt79 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:06 pm

I don't understand why people think fleeing combat is a bad thing. The way I see it, the "chaser" having a reliable advantage over the "chasee" will always be a terrible idea since escape in my mind should always be a viable option to keep your months/years old character alive. The real problem the game as a whole has yet to address is that there's no real reason to stand your ground in a pvp encounter, and that's why I think at least certain combat moves (aoes like kick and defensive/support moves like Shield Up) probably should halt your movement.

Only a change to how siege works will solve chase combat and I think that's much bigger picture than the devs need to tackle in a combat rework.
abt79

Postby CTheRain » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:24 pm

MrPunchers wrote:
CTheRain wrote:Wouldn't archery moves be the solution to running away? Or bolas.

Also ranged combat does not fit into this, 10 people running around with bows one tapping people does not sound fun. Bolas (aka movement modifiers) are also VERY not fun. Think before you post.

They said they'd be adding in archery moves and even add it into the new system in Hit Sting.
We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.
CTheRain

Postby mvgulik » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:52 am

Sigh. 3rd reminder.

Suggestion: Investigation if the price input could be limited to only one input instant (serving all 3 price outputs). Which would take case of this particular problem, like ... forever.
mvgulik

Postby abt79 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:27 pm

So proud of our forum moderation team atm
abt79

Postby jorb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:11 pm

mvgulik wrote:Sigh. 3rd reminder.

Sigh, fixed.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements