Game Development: A Low Blow

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: A Low Blow

Postby Kamil457 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:32 am

Please add feature for paved tiles that they can not be snowed.
Kamil457

Postby mvgulik » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:22 pm

loftar wrote:I think (the game server) is about as central to the current player-base as it can be.
Mmm ...
That's kinda assuming there is no "cause and effect" feedback's between the two.
Otherwise ... one could argue that one is a logical side effect of the other.

(ping-wise location of course)
mvgulik

Postby Potjeh » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:43 pm

If combat is going to be so ping sensitive the only sensible solution is to have separate US and EU servers. It's what every other latency sensitive game does.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:37 am

mvgulik wrote:That's kinda assuming there is no "cause and effect" feedback's between the two.

I don't quite understand what it is that you're trying to say.

Potjeh wrote:so ping sensitive

I don't think we should be exaggerating just how ping-sensitive it is. It's not like it's an FPS that we're building, and we've also had feedback to the contrary from people who don't feel the ping is a big issue.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:08 am

loftar wrote:
mvgulik wrote:That's kinda assuming there is no "cause and effect" feedback's between the two.

Potjeh wrote:so ping sensitive

I don't think we should be exaggerating just how ping-sensitive it is. It's not like it's an FPS that we're building, and we've also had feedback to the contrary from people who don't feel the ping is a big issue.

Just divide the map into 4 parts, all hosted on separate servers in separate continents, so people can build their homes in the low ping area but still interact with others.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby mvgulik » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 am

loftar wrote:
mvgulik wrote:
loftar wrote:I think (the game server) is about as central to the current player-base as it can be.
That's kinda assuming there is no "cause and effect" feedback's between the two.

That's ok. I'm used to that.
Besides ... server location seems perfect in my case. (GFX lag being the local killer)
mvgulik

Postby MightySheep » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:18 am

shubla wrote:Just divide the map into 4 parts, all hosted on separate servers in separate continents, so people can build their homes in the low ping area but still interact with others.

Id love to see that just for all the creative bugs people would come up with. I bet people would somehow find a way to teleport, raid villages and dupe items with a server crossing.
MightySheep

Postby Agrik » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:20 pm

loftar wrote:I don't quite understand what it is that you're trying to say.
I think mvgulik meant that the server position may shape the distribution of existing players over the globe. Those who experience larger lags are a bit more prone to leave the game because of "the last drop", while those who live closer have one drop less.

That said, I'm not sure whether the effect is noticeable among the other reasons to play or not to play the game. Q gap seems to be immensely more influential.
Agrik

Postby vatas » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:16 pm

shubla wrote:Just divide the map into 4 parts, all hosted on separate servers in separate continents, so people can build their homes in the low ping area but still interact with others.

Other than cost to maintain 3 more servers, effort to implement this code-wise and possible bugs this could create (as mentioned by MightySheep) one issue would be that people are going to complain that other areas are simply better than their home area, and trying to balance them would make every continent the same, at least somewhat defeating their purpose.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby blinx » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Will there be a full writeup of all finalized changes once the new system is migrated to the official server?
blinx

Previous

Return to Announcements