Game Development: Patriotic Takedown

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Patriotic Takedown

Postby Archiplex » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 pm

I wouldn't compare it to normal RNG since it can be mitigated and can even be played around; plus at certain ranges it's not very relevant- or vs certain foes.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby sMartins » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Noone ever talked about just a "normal" rng implementation, where do you think we are? :)

I missed a 94%
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby wonder-ass » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:53 pm

thoughts about artful i feel like the timing should work exactly like quickdodge the delay + opening it gives you is not worth it imo. the opening in itself is a nerf it doesnt need an extra delay on it which basically can fuck over high ping users.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:10 pm

After actually getting to test it, uppercut manages to invalid literally everything about this system, holy fuck it's broken. Why is it so fast, why does it not cause friendly fire, why does it go forever, why can you cancel it. Trying to balance the slowness of every move by adding this ridiculously fast move doesn't work, it's just going to be used by the runners on alts with horses/wildlife to get away. The current system is balanced by the fact that using moves didn't slow you down so the skill of the chaser and the runner wouldn't vary wildly by what moves are op and there aren't a ton of outside factors affecting everything.
DDDsDD999

Postby Rexz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:49 am

Rexz wrote:
jorb wrote:
Rexz wrote:
The difference in the range of damage done based on distance is still valid no? Please address the entirety of my suggestion :3

I don't think it matters much how or when the randomness is applied. I don't want intentionally random elements in the combat system.

I am sad cuz you didn't read all that I said. Even without RNG you can still apply difference in damage based on the distance of the target from the assailant.

So if the person is right next to you, 30 damage, medium distance away from the conal/sweeping attack 20 damage, furthest away the target can possibly be hit by the attack 10 damage.

If you are chasing the target and the damaging attack is a lunge or locked-on chasing attach, furthest the target from you 10 damage, medium distance from target 20 damage, if you are very close to them and you use this then you hit them for maximum of 30.

Jorb never replied to this sadface.jpeg

But to be fair I haven't fully tested everything out yet in the combat testing so far. I just like that its more dynamic but because I am so new I don't know what's OP and what's not, all I have is references from other MMORPGs and MOBAs that I have played in the past (15+ years of those gaming experience)
Rexz

Postby MarcusXDead » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Archiplex wrote:Gosh there's a lot of fuss on whether it should be "easy" or "hard" to get away from combat, and I think there's obvious biases on both sides.

One thing I want to bring in from another game (Wurm, but I won't get into details since it's very different) is the idea of a combat 'handshake'- that is, the idea that once you commit to combat, it's hard to escape.

I think something like that would be feasible to exist- people in general being faster outside of combat, but once they get into the 'heat' of things (either hitting someone or being hit), that their relative speed is slower than otherwise. This means that if someone approaches you when you're not looking for a fight, it should generally be easy to just get 'away' (and frankly, this should be the case- avoiding gank squads and protecting hermits) unless you get caught out and hit by an attack in the first place (to still actually ALLOW surprise attacks to happen).

This also makes combats 'tighter' instead of so heavily movement based like what currently exists- and removes that issue of people who run from combat once their opening is high enough. I also think that there should be a way to start to 'try' and escape combat- perhaps dodge abilities (or Artful evasion) don't allow you to? Or perhaps an IP ability that grants you a large movement speed burst for just a few moments to try and escape- so that in order to escape, you need to land a few attacks/dodges that allow you to escape?

In general I sort of agree with coles in that these autohit abilities feel like they're damaging the intent of the system, but I don't think they 'break' anything (numbers tuning aside)- I just think it's lame they exist.

I totally agree with "combat handshake" idea - you should be able to run away if you don't want to fight, but as soon as you agressed - you should not be allowed to escape easily. To be fair, like in any game, consensual fight usually happens either about something (There's something contested, and both sides don't want to let go of something) or in some kind of arena or brawl, where all the participating people are willing to show and test their skill.
Every other pvp is basically a rape, especially in Haven, where there's a giant gap between casual and competitive players.
The only real reason I can see why strong should be able to attack the weak and unwilling if the weak is taking something that strong consider theirs. Like, collecting something near stronger player bases.

Overall - I suggest adding slow debuffs on both attacker and defender, and if defender doesn't have rage, instead of applying slow debuff force them to drop items from inventory or equipment window.

Maybe adding special "net" weapon type and moves will help the situation as well?
^The wall of text^
MarcusXDead

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:19 pm

that idea is so fundamentally shit that im not even going to go in on how many levels i could fuck you guys over and kill you because you cant run away
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby MarcusXDead » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:41 am

Yeah, sure, as if in current state anyone can run away if you want to "fuck us guys over and kill us" when it comes to a range where you can hit someone. When you're a hermit, and you bump into some overpowered gang there's nothing that can save you anyway, unless they're bored enough to play with you. They'll be having faster boats and more enduring horses anyway.

Aside from that, I can see people abusing pesky alts to lay debuffs so yeah, as long as using alts for everything is a thing it won't work.
^The wall of text^
MarcusXDead

Previous

Return to Announcements