Game Development: Grandee's Horse

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Grandee's Horse

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:56 am

i think adding a few more pretty variations of patterns and colors would make this a lot better rn its kinda barebones and ugly xd
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Amanda44 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 am

^^ Replacing the orange with a dark brown would be a great start. :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Rexz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Amanda44 wrote:^^ Replacing the orange with a dark brown would be a great start. :D

+1 on chestnut horse color

Also, would be cool to have distinct Grullo and Buckskin/Dun variations as shown here by MagicMan.
Rexz

Postby sMartins » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:40 pm

P.S. I have to admit that colours,horses and drama it's funny.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby svino » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:54 pm

loftar wrote:When I was looking at horses, speckled horses do tend to look quite like that, so I don't think it's wrong.

I think most horses, that aren't paint or pinto horses are pretty uniformely colored, except for having a few characteristic markings on shoulders/face/back.
Check out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_markings

common face markings:

Colors are generally of some base color, with white spots or markings. (I.e, a black horse doesn't usually have yellow markings or patterns, however there are some rarer exceptions and 3-colored horses too)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equine_co ... r_genetics
wikipedia wrote:Equine coat color genetics determine a horse's coat color. Many colors are possible, but all variations are produced by changes in only a few genes. Extension and agouti are particularly well-known genes with dramatic effects. Differences at the agouti gene determine whether a horse is bay or black, and a change to the extension gene can make a horse chestnut instead. Most domestic horses have a variant of the dun gene which saturates the coat with color so that they are bay, black, or chestnut instead of dun, grullo, or red dun. A mutation called cream is responsible for palomino, buckskin, and cremello horses. Pearl, champagne and silver dapple also lighten the coat, and sometimes the skin and eyes as well. Genes that affect the distribution of melanocytes create patterns of white such as in roan, pinto, leopard, white, and even white markings. Finally, the gray gene causes premature graying, slowly adding white hairs over the course of several years until the horse looks white. Some of these patterns have complex interactions.

Genes that alter the melanin in the cells cause the patterns, for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobiano - which is what pretty much all the horses look like now, except that they mix colors, where they should be a base color with white patches.

Theres also humans with genes that cause funny melanin patterns:

Of course it's a game and realism is not always the most fun, but it struck me how strange those horses looked.
svino

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:23 pm

svino wrote:I think most horses, that aren't paint or pinto horses are pretty uniformely colored, except for having a few characteristic markings on shoulders/face/back.

I'm not a horse breeder, but I have long loved the animals. Most purebred horse lines are, as you say, primarily "one coloration" with few markings. If you get outside of that into the few places wild horses run, markings can be non-existent to whatever is bred into the herd. Sometimes purebred studs get out of pens and breed with wild mustang herds; sometimes the mustangs get into the pens and breed with the purebred mares.

Let's also not forget the various spotted and mottled horse patterns that are also considered purebred. Painted horses aren't the only ones "not one color." (And which I think is missing from the coloring, but I can understand as it sounds like they reused the colors and code from cattle... would be a nice addition to see later.)

My overall resopnse: get to breeding for the right traits. A little experimentation should be able to out any underlying genetic code.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DeadlyPencil » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:35 pm

because our females now have black and white spots on them.... its going to get really hard to tell a male from a female. is there actually and difference between the male and female models anymore?
DeadlyPencil

Postby sMartins » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:56 pm

Look at my horse! My Horse is Amazing!

I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:45 am

Because managing cows with this shit wasn't awful enough. The positive is that maybe someone will eventually get motivated enough to figure out how to remove this shit with custom clients

Good to see your not wasting time on this fundamentally broken combat system. Maybe spend time fixing the broken shit around the current system that would've likely still been present?
DDDsDD999

Postby Ardennesss » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:47 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:Because managing cows with this shit wasn't awful enough. The positive is that maybe someone will eventually get motivated enough to figure out how to remove this shit with custom clients

Good to see your not wasting time on this fundamentally broken combat system. Maybe spend time fixing the broken shit around the current system that would've likely still been present?

lol just have less animals boomer
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements