Game Development: Feasting Leonardo

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Feasting Leonardo

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:58 am

loftar wrote:Given this satiation rework, I'm not sure I think that Hunger should be reworked any longer. With no hunger bar whatsoever, you'd have a pretty dumb incentive to just eat literally every possible foodstuff in the entire game, and I'm not at all sure that would be an improvement. I feel that it provides a reasonable balance to the variety encouraged by these satiations.

One could argue that the hunger bar--specifically the accompanying bonuses--need to be removed as for experienced players, it's too easy to game it, and for new players, too easy to utterly kill your progress. I do think Ozzy123 makes a strong point about food variety. Some of the best foods you can eat to 50% or worse satiations and still get better results from than most of the rest of the food in the game.

But overall, yeah, I think you may be right that this may be enough. The hunger bar is self-correcting with time as you learn how to manage it, so it could be a carrot to get players to learn how to best manage it for FEP gains. (I think 300% bonus is way too much. Cut it in half, please, if people think there still needs to be a bonus.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:28 am

Hunger bar punishes noobs and gives huuuge advantages to hc players!!!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby HasseKebab » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:28 am

Yes, 300% is way too powerful and i think everyone can agree on that. We could tune it down to like 150% and it would still be fair and doesnt make it as punishing to eat food just to increase energy bar like it does right now.
HasseKebab

Postby ctopolon4 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:19 am

shubla wrote:Hunger bar punishes noobs and gives huuuge advantages to hc players!!!

not hunger bar, "because i can" players punishes noobs.
because i can : use custom client , put all in UA ,alt spam ,buy premium ,play 24\7 ,RMT ,use bugs ,autoclickers, bots, etc
ctopolon4

Postby berifuni » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:49 am

make the game eve online style
berifuni

Postby Fostik » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:09 am

Ozzy123 wrote:but still there will be 10~ best meals that everyone will spam because there will be a lot of food that will not be worth wasting hunger on

+1
At least some unpopular recipes should be reconsidered to decrease hunger level.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby MarcusXDead » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:19 pm

ctopolon4 wrote:
shubla wrote:Hunger bar punishes noobs and gives huuuge advantages to hc players!!!

not hunger bar, "because i can" players punishes noobs.
because i can : use custom client , put all in UA ,alt spam ,buy premium ,play 24\7 ,RMT ,use bugs ,autoclickers, bots, etc

This.
In the very begining, when you have to do a lot of traveling and hard labor like building, tree cutting and ground layering, you have to choose between gaining energy to continue working and ruin stat gain, or use alts, to AVOID ANY DISADVANTAGE AND PENALTY THE GAME GIVES YOU.
Like, buying premium, playing 24/7 and even RMT at least takes effort from players. Custom clients... well devs got what they wanted, otherwise they shouldn't have let people mess with it in the first place. Everything else is bullshit. It literally ruins every attempt for ballancing the game. Disposable alt doesn't care if he'd get stung for 7 or 5 damage by a bee when you release a patch to encourage people "not getting punished too much by bees". Meta players don't get punished at all in any scenario, they don't care. I mean having a dedicated character for something is fine, even if you play all of them at once, like a farmer alt or a full pvp UA alt. But it's not the same when it comes to energy, hunger and hard labor, traveling and performing dangerous actions.
Hunger bar does punish people who don't use alts for everything.
^The wall of text^
MarcusXDead

Postby snapko1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:27 pm

/rant
To progress in this game with one character you need energy. To restore it you need to eat food, looks like simple game loop and here is the problem. If you eat food to restore energy - you waste hunger. Thats it. Hunger literally triples your FEP gain and speeds up your stat rising speed three times.

Question, how I'm supposed to get stuff done and eat efficiently and the answer is - you dont.
If I do eat food even though I have less than 300% bonus, I will waste two times or even three times more food to get the same amount of stats! Ridiculous right? Well then dont eat food with less than 300% bonus, its simple! Yeah, except you dont get any energy to play the game... oh. thats hurts, but I bought the game and want to play it, how come I cant get anything done now? :(

Solution - ALTs, freaking ton of them.
You need to get stuff done? Just create another alt, waste his energy, his stats are irrelevant anyway. You need to do dangerous task? Create an alt! Why should you risk getting trauma and heal it if you can just create another toon in a minute or two? Did I mention that its free as well? True sales pitch for HnH right here.

If you like to limit people with hunger bonus that much, do something with energy as limiting factor as well. People are literally punished for playing the game as intended. You cant do anything with alts, sure, but it can be atleast playable for people who actually want to play fairly as it was designed.
/rant
Nice hat btw. :)
snapko1

Postby Ocerion » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Lol the problem isn't that the current system encourages alts. Anyone can make alts, alts aren't restricted to a select few people. The problem is the time required to get the full bonuses. Some of us don't have 20 hours a day to do endless questing. This game is brutal towards people who have jobs, or children, or school. I miss the old school haven hunger thing. Being overstuffed was funny.
Ocerion

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Ocerion wrote: I miss the old school haven hunger thing. Being overstuffed was funny.

The problem was the hunger bots eliminated hunger all together and made it pointless. Of course, when you factor in bots, all of these "time gates" and "action penalties" become moot. There no effective means of policing the bots, though, so a sensible solution is to just let the players do. That means removing such mechanics so that alting for them isn't necessary, and botting doesn't give as much of an advantage.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements