DevStream 20191221, 20:00 UTC

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: DevStream 20191221, 20:00 UTC

Postby borka » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:40 am

snapko1 wrote:
borka wrote:and there we are again with demands of a few ... i got bored with all the combat and siege fuzz so i stopped watching

So instead of voicing out your own problems with the game, you prefer to just being angsty kid in his thirties?
Great stream, a lot of answers. Hopefully we will see positive changes next year! And, probably, rendering.

Jon snapko1 you know nothing - but i guess some ppl here at forums will have a good laugh with
angsty kid in his thirties
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby shubla » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:22 am

I agree that streams have a lot of discussion about different things, some of them (like combat and siege) not very interesting for some people, thus these people may not watch the streams, even if there would be some interesting content.

Perhaps streams happen too rarely for having specific topics for streams. Combat and siege get a LOT of time on streams, even though only few people are interested about them.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby ydex » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:28 am

Can we please try to focus on the positive here guys..

The idea of replenishing claims!
Let me inspect my neighbour everyday and then finally that one day in the month it says "repleneshing claim" (jorb did use a better english word for this right?). Happyness and bliss will just hit me, and forever be mine, as I bash his fucking kiln back to smithereens where it belongs!
Finally a chance to influense and monopolize pottery trading in my region! Very nice, thx.

Or for that matter just randomly roam around and find a claim repleneshing and gathering up your raid group and have some fun for the night. Just dont make it so that I still have to wait a stupid long amount of time for stuff to dry.
Lets let a raid take like 2 hours, cheers :)

P.S. Noticed that you talked alot about the issue where a base that has been around for a year could be leveled in a night. Can we perhaps turn that question around:
Should there even be bases that have been around for more then a year? In my opinion the fun of the game is to build the base, re-build the base, pvp, etc. so there is like .. a natrual circle of getting raided, rebuild, raid someone else, get raided... idk.. PvP, something something :p
bold
ydex

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:10 am

borka wrote:
snapko1 wrote:
borka wrote:and there we are again with demands of a few ... i got bored with all the combat and siege fuzz so i stopped watching

So instead of voicing out your own problems with the game, you prefer to just being angsty kid in his thirties?
Great stream, a lot of answers. Hopefully we will see positive changes next year! And, probably, rendering.

Jon snapko1 you know nothing - but i guess some ppl here at forums will have a good laugh with
angsty kid in his thirties
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The phrase "showing your age" might have come from the appearance of older people who are trying to avoid looking old, but it applies just as aptly to anyone "too young to truly understand" and comes across as naive, too. ;)

I think borka's right. No point in hanging out if everyone is just going to dog the same dead horse the whole time (or at least long enough to wear a person's patience thin).

ydex wrote:Lets let a raid take like 2 hours, cheers

I'm all for this, but don't think for a minute that it should somehow be that you get some uncontested vandalism and theft session.

ydex wrote: Noticed that you talked alot about the issue where a base that has been around for a year could be leveled in a night. Can we perhaps turn that question around:
Should there even be bases that have been around for more then a year? In my opinion the fun of the game is to build the base, re-build the base, pvp, etc. so there is like .. a natrual circle of getting raided, rebuild, raid someone else, get raided... idk.. PvP, something something :p

You might have something, but entirely too much of this game is built around the quality grind of certain fixed assets that cannot be moved, such as kilns and smelters. Rebuilding a base elsewhere typically means you lose months (years) of spiraling work if it's done in a rushed manner, or it may take a month to move everything so that nothing is lost. It shouldn't be easy to pick up and relocate, but on the other hand, it shouldn't require fixing yourself into a position you can't get away from, either. it's a video game, not a last stand a the motte and bailey, which is what the game feels like if you're the one getting raided.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby snapko1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:52 am

MagicManICT wrote:I think borka's right. No point in hanging out if everyone is just going to dog the same dead horse the whole time (or at least long enough to wear a person's patience thin).

ydex wrote:Lets let a raid take like 2 hours, cheers

I'm all for this, but don't think for a minute that it should somehow be that you get some uncontested vandalism and theft session.

ydex wrote: Noticed that you talked alot about the issue where a base that has been around for a year could be leveled in a night. Can we perhaps turn that question around:

You might have something, but entirely too much of this game is built around the quality grind of certain fixed assets that cannot be moved, such as kilns and smelters. Rebuilding a base elsewhere typically means you lose months (years) of spiraling work if it's done in a rushed manner, or it may take a month to move everything so that nothing is lost. It shouldn't be easy to pick up and relocate, but on the other hand, it shouldn't require fixing yourself into a position you can't get away from, either. it's a video game, not a last stand a the motte and bailey, which is what the game feels like if you're the one getting raided.

So instead of pushing your own concerns on stream in chat so siege and combat questions take less time and important for you problems in the game more, right way would be to ignore this direct communication channel with devs completely. I agree. :lol: Proceed doing that and dont forget to leave snarky post in the thread as well!

Indeed everything is built around static objects, but whats the point in siege system existence if you dont have any risks of losing them at all as long as you are online atleast once per day? Hows that different from losing everything overnight if you dont login? You still lose everything overnight if your defences are breached, except, with window based system, you are here to defend your stuff while enemy atleast have a chance of success with you present.

Right now you either get uncontested vandalism and vulturism or no sieges at all. With adjusting siege times to less hours at predetermined time, you guarantee opportunity for attackers and safe time for defenders when they are not ready for a fight.
snapko1

Postby borka » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:46 pm

dear snapko1 i guess "my concerns" are broadly known and btw we have a forum so i don't need a twitch account to nag streaming devs ;)

I do know that a small minority of players is unhappy not being able to take a way the fun of others in a short timespan to bully them out of game ... but i also understand that siege is complex and lengthy and not coup-like as some want it to be. And i think that's something loftar and jorb are aware of too.

btw when i was an "angsty kid in his thirties" i've worked as bouncer in a club ... when i was an "angsty kid in his fourties" i played MP shooters in campaigns and tournaments ... and now as "angsty kids in his sixties" i play PUBG when i wanted an adrenaline rush, HnH is for recreational relief from work life stress (which in return means that sometimes i can't login every day) ... there are soooo many games to fight and even bully to choose from ...
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:09 am

snapko1 wrote:So instead of pushing your own concerns on stream in chat so siege and combat questions take less time and important for you problems in the game more, right way would be to ignore this direct communication channel with devs completely. I agree. :lol: Proceed doing that and dont forget to leave snarky post in the thread as well!

Maybe if I had time to catch the streams, I'd be more inclined to participate in them. Instead, I usually post my concerns here on the forum or PM the devs directly. One of the great things about participating in a small indie MMO is that the dev will message you back, snarky comments or otherwise.

snapko1 wrote:Indeed everything is built around static objects, but whats the point in siege system existence if you dont have any risks of losing them at all as long as you are online atleast once per day?

Seems that we are in agreement here? A game without risk of loss is a terrible game. It's akin to playing with Legos by yourself. It's not really a game, then. It's just creative play time.
As far as siege and pvp combat goes, I really don't know where a proper balance is. I've conveyed my thoughts on combat, a proper siege system (and related ones I've liked from the past), etc over time. Others around here seem to just want a "let me just gank and yank everything you own without warning." See Rust and other games that support this sort of system. I think it lacks any meta-game balance, because it just boils down to a cycle of one-upmanship that I've seen in other online games. It leads to bad habits, addictive behaviors, and poor life choices just to play a game.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:48 pm

Uh oh!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby rhzk » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:03 pm

stinky...
rhzk

Postby jorb » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:40 am

Did not make sufficient time for this in jan. Will announce feb stream shortly. Sorry about that!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements