Client rewrite β-testing

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Client rewrite β-testing

Postby Garlicman » Mon May 18, 2020 8:49 am

Any UI options in the pipeline?

Garlicman

Postby loftar » Mon May 18, 2020 9:36 am

Garlicman wrote:Any UI options in the pipeline?

Not as part of this rendering rewrite, no. Not saying there shouldn't be any, but that is a completely unrelated topic and should be in its own thread. (If you're referring to UI scalability, the last major discussion on that topic took place here.)

algeralith wrote:I went ahead and started looking into it myself. Looks like it is a known issue with jogl, and scheduled to be fixed in 2.4

https://jogamp.org/bugzilla//show_bug.cgi?id=1374

Indeed, I suspected that might be the case. Jogl 2.4 has been in the pipe for quite some time, though, and I wonder if it will be released anytime soon. I wonder whether it might be reasonable to ship a version compiled from Git sources. It's hard to say without knowing how stable their master branch is.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Garlicman » Mon May 18, 2020 10:58 am

Ok, thanks. Because one of the huge reasons I'm using a different client is it allows me to increase the font size or change the font - don't want to kill my eyes and/or neck playing Haven. You guys aren't probably looking to expand the playerbase significantly, but if you would we doing that, some degree of UI accessibility would be an issue.
Last edited by Garlicman on Fri May 22, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garlicman

Postby Hadehariast » Mon May 18, 2020 6:06 pm

boshaw wrote:Not really a major issue, but I've noticed occasionally that an animal gob won't get deleted when I walk out of render which then keeps it there until I log out and back in. No error message and I'm not really sure what triggers it as i'm never doing anything special aside from walking around.

I believe this is the same thing which my partner has encountered a few times this morning. We've had several animals become "duplicated" on screen. The duplicate has remained frozen. Right-clicking-->Inspect on the duplicate directs you towards the actual animal which it has duplicated. She's encountered it with both a cow and two sheep. Logging out and logging back in has removed the duplicates. I'm afraid I don't know how to do heap dump.
Hadehariast

Postby Spacecpp » Tue May 19, 2020 1:45 am

I have been playing with the new client since yesterday. While the map loading had speed-up a lot, there are several new bugs like:
-when I unequip an item it's outline still appears at equipment window
-player models sometimes disappear complety or show at an outdated location, the animation is frozen in place
-arrows pointing to party members sometimes won't show or freeze regardless of camera angle
-frequent jittering (noticeable when walking)
Spacecpp

Postby loftar » Wed May 20, 2020 1:57 am

Hadehariast wrote:I'm afraid I don't know how to do heap dump.

There are several ways. If you want to try, some of them are listed here. I recommend method #1 (jmap) or #4 (VisualVM) on that list particularly, but it might be that for either one you need not just Java, but the full JDK. I'm not entirely sure.
loftar

Postby loftar » Wed May 20, 2020 2:01 am

Spacecpp wrote:-when I unequip an item it's outline still appears at equipment window

I know, it's still listed in the OP.
Spacecpp wrote:-player models sometimes disappear complety or show at an outdated location, the animation is frozen in place

I strongly suspect that's an instance of the lingering-animals bug being discussed just above.
Spacecpp wrote:-arrows pointing to party members sometimes won't show or freeze regardless of camera angle

Didn't know about that one, will have to check.
Spacecpp wrote:-frequent jittering (noticeable when walking)

I suspect you're using Java 8, right? Its garbage collector seems to have moments of interacting weirdly with new client. I believe this is largely fixed on Java 9 and newer, but you may want to try to see if turning off parallel process (console command :par off) fixes it, as I've noticed it sometimes creating particularly weird GC interactions (which is why it didn't use to be on by default).
loftar

Postby mvgulik » Wed May 20, 2020 12:45 pm

Finally, no more typing of :hz & :bghz all the time.

Sliders:
It might be a nice user-friendly improvement if sliders where giving some focus behavior ... so one could have some alternative way to set/adjust them.
(the default trial & error mouse-sliding become a bit of a nuisance over time)
(I know. Not losing/blocking other game controls, while a slider would have focus, is a important detail ...) ... (Mmm, additional left/right click buttons for sliders perhaps. No key-binds needed that way.)

Probably related to that DPI stuff from some posts back.

Zoom-ing:
When zooming in/out (with mouse-scroll-wheel), the client has a tendency to freeze for a short moment. (animations, mouse cursor, ...)
The time the client freezes seems directly related to the number of zoom commands that where given at that moment.
If (for example) your already fully zoomed-in, and give the mouse-scroll wheel an additional whirl in the zoom-in direction (ie: Fast N times trying to zoom-in). The longer the time is that the client will temporary freeze. (could easily be up to a second, with a moderate whirl on the mouse-scroll-wheel, in my case)
mvgulik

Postby Artemiswhb » Wed May 20, 2020 11:08 pm

What is the point of passing GSettings around as a state? Maybe I'm blind but it seems like nothing more than a class for settings?

Specifically here: https://github.com/dolda2000/hafen-client/blob/render/src/haven/PView.java#L96
Artemiswhb

Postby Spacecpp » Thu May 21, 2020 12:53 am

loftar wrote:I suspect you're using Java 8, right? .

My java control panel says version 9.0.1 amd64
Spacecpp

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements