Client rewrite β-testing

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Client rewrite β-testing

Postby algeralith » Sun May 17, 2020 8:58 pm

The DPI issue is still persistent. I'd rather not have to change the scaling every time I am playing the game.

Here is a link to the past post on it.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=66481&start=30#p841001
algeralith

Postby loftar » Sun May 17, 2020 9:12 pm

algeralith wrote:The DPI issue is still persistent. I'd rather not have to change the scaling every time I am playing the game.

Right. I'm not sure why that happens, and I don't have a setup where I can really test it for myself. You compile the client from source, right? Could you check what parameters the reshape function in HavenPanel/JOGLPanel (in the old vs new client, respectively) in the GLEventListener is called with, and whether that matches the physical pixel count of the window?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby algeralith » Sun May 17, 2020 9:22 pm

loftar wrote:
algeralith wrote:The DPI issue is still persistent. I'd rather not have to change the scaling every time I am playing the game.

Right. I'm not sure why that happens, and I don't have a setup where I can really test it for myself. You compile the client from source, right? Could you check what parameters the reshape function in HavenPanel/JOGLPanel (in the old vs new client, respectively) in the GLEventListener is called with, and whether that matches the physical pixel count of the window?

Oddly enough, with a compiled client, it works just perfectly.
It seems that when launching the default client from the web that the issue occurs.
algeralith

Postby loftar » Sun May 17, 2020 9:24 pm

algeralith wrote:It seems that when launching the default client from the web that the issue occurs.

That's really, really weird. How would they even differ in how they're being launched?

Or, oh, is it perhaps that you're launching it from within an IDE and that it, like, inherits the IDE's scaling configuration or something? Does it make a difference if you run the client by manually invoking Java on the compiled Jar file?
loftar

Postby algeralith » Sun May 17, 2020 9:30 pm

loftar wrote:
algeralith wrote:It seems that when launching the default client from the web that the issue occurs.

That's really, really weird. How would they even differ in how they're being launched?

Or, oh, is it perhaps that you're launching it from within an IDE and that it, like, inherits the IDE's scaling configuration or something? Does it make a difference if you run the client by manually invoking Java on the compiled Jar file?

Still works. Tried both from command line and running it through a bat file.
algeralith

Postby loftar » Sun May 17, 2020 9:32 pm

algeralith wrote:Still works. Tried both from command line and running it through a bat file.

Literally wat. Could you copy the command-line of the Java process that is launched by the website launcher, just run that verbatim and see what happens?

EDIT: Does the website launcher use a different version of Java that is installed in parallel, perhaps?
loftar

Postby algeralith » Sun May 17, 2020 9:57 pm

loftar wrote:
algeralith wrote:Still works. Tried both from command line and running it through a bat file.

Literally wat. Could you copy the command-line of the Java process that is launched by the website launcher, just run that verbatim and see what happens?

EDIT: Does the website launcher use a different version of Java that is installed in parallel, perhaps?

That'd be it. Seems the website is launching using java 12, while I still use java 8 for the client. So its a difference in java versions.
Launching the compiled client with java 12 produces the same results.
algeralith

Postby loftar » Sun May 17, 2020 10:27 pm

algeralith wrote:Launching the compiled client with java 12 produces the same results.

Ok, nice to have that cleared up. Would you care to check the reshape parameters, then?
loftar

Postby algeralith » Sun May 17, 2020 10:37 pm

loftar wrote:
algeralith wrote:Launching the compiled client with java 12 produces the same results.

Ok, nice to have that cleared up. Would you care to check the reshape parameters, then?

Yep. Resolution of my desktop is 3840x2160.

Reshape is being passed the following.
x: 0
y: 0
h: 2561
w: 1378

Client looks like:

Clicking is also massively off too.
algeralith

Postby algeralith » Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 am

I went ahead and started looking into it myself. Looks like it is a known issue with jogl, and scheduled to be fixed in 2.4

https://jogamp.org/bugzilla//show_bug.cgi?id=1374

Will just see if I can find another work around until then.
algeralith

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements