Client rewrite β-testing

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Client rewrite β-testing

Postby borka » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:31 am

prolly loftar is used to keyboard commands (too much and we rely on mouse too much ... ) ;)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:09 am

Aethyr wrote:Am I the only one that finds those "X" for closing tabs definitely too small? I missclick them 90% of the time...

Click it to make it the active window, then 'esc' to close.

But yes, I find it a bit too small myself as things like the chat window don't necessarily close that way.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Aethyr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:33 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Aethyr wrote:Am I the only one that finds those "X" for closing tabs definitely too small? I missclick them 90% of the time...

Click it to make it the active window, then 'esc' to close.

But yes, I find it a bit too small myself as things like the chat window don't necessarily close that way.

Thanks for the tip, definitely useful!
Aethyr

Postby Jondoh » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:27 pm

Still alt clients have more functionality but was a bit faster. there was lots of white writing on the lef that i could not read as was clahing with the quest i had.
Jondoh

Postby loftar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 pm

MagicManICT wrote:My guess is that he's had to backtrack a little bit because of the Mac problem from a few pages ago and support for different versions of OpenGL. I've no idea how much will need to be rewritten or simply nudged, but it may take a bit of time. (Hopefully not much longer since that last informational update.)

That is actually done now. I'm currently working on tracking down a pretty tricky bug (the "instantion-IDs" one).
Jondoh wrote:Still alt clients have more functionality but was a bit faster. there was lots of white writing on the lef that i could not read as was clahing with the quest i had.

You can turn the debug text off with the :stats off console command. It is simply turned on by default while in testing.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby ubersheva » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:06 pm

loftar wrote: I'm currently working on tracking down a pretty tricky bug (the "instantion-IDs" one).

Do you have problems reproducing it? Because I see it in console quite often.
ubersheva

Postby loftar » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:53 pm

ubersheva wrote:New client sometimes hangs during fights, had a couple of concussions and lost sheep while taming due to this :( After immediate relog it may hang again, but sometimes not and lets me continue the fight. Sound of combat continues playing when hang, looks like only rendering hangs. This happens both on windows and on mac.

If you can reproduce this again, it would be great if you could send a thread dump, because I haven't managed to get it to happen.
loftar

Postby ubersheva » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:28 am

loftar wrote:
ubersheva wrote:New client sometimes hangs during fights, had a couple of concussions and lost sheep while taming due to this :( After immediate relog it may hang again, but sometimes not and lets me continue the fight. Sound of combat continues playing when hang, looks like only rendering hangs. This happens both on windows and on mac.

If you can reproduce this again, it would be great if you could send a thread dump, because I haven't managed to get it to happen.

Found a very easy way to reproduce this after looking at thread dump: aggro an ant, start walking away and furiously spam all your combat buttons and mouse clicks. Client hangs without even actual combat.
Attachments
render-client-fight-hang.txt
(23.67 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
ubersheva

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:26 pm

ubersheva wrote:[Found a very easy way to reproduce this after looking at thread dump: aggro an ant, start walking away and furiously spam all your combat buttons and mouse clicks. Client hangs without even actual combat.

That indeed seems to work fine. Thanks!

On another note, I do believe myself to have fixed the instantiation-id bug, finally, but since I couldn't really reproduce it myself, I haven't been able to formally verify that it is fixed, so if you had some way to reproduce that too, please feel free to test it.
loftar

Postby ubersheva » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:06 pm

loftar wrote:
ubersheva wrote:[Found a very easy way to reproduce this after looking at thread dump: aggro an ant, start walking away and furiously spam all your combat buttons and mouse clicks. Client hangs without even actual combat.

That indeed seems to work fine. Thanks!

On another note, I do believe myself to have fixed the instantiation-id bug, finally, but since I couldn't really reproduce it myself, I haven't been able to formally verify that it is fixed, so if you had some way to reproduce that too, please feel free to test it.

the instantiation ids hang also happens, not very often though. happened today last time (havent updated from the render branch yet though, will update now). 99% of its occurrences for me happen when entering a swamp. few times happened when another player appeared in sight. will try reproducing on a swamp with an alt.
ubersheva

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements