Game Development: Spring Cleaning

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Spring Cleaning

Postby shubla » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Melkior13 wrote:Why is this a bad change?

Typical needlessly complicated things from devs which makes game harder to understand.
They could at least add new stat "damage resistance" to the game or something, so there would be less of these hidden magic values that only way to find out about is to read 100s posts of changelogs. :roll: Or sometimes dig up one of devs post from thousands which reveals some arbitrary formula...
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:24 pm

Melkior13 wrote:More CON is still better than less CON.

Go shoot yourself with a ranger bow on a 10 con character and a 10k con character both wearing ~900-1.1k AC and tell me having stats can't be detrimental.

The above is just the easiest to show example, but there can be very similar outcomes with melee attacks.
It's almost like having a percentile damage reduction on top of a static damage reduction is really powerful, and having a percentile damage taken increase on top of a static damage reduction is really bad

A 10 con character has more effective HP vs. B12 cleaves than my main after it consumes 2 heart containers, and situationally more effective HP without containers verse a bunch of other attack varieties
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby VDZ » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:28 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
VDZ wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:HP Regen is flat (at some point at least, I don't know if they changed it). The problem here is that a 10 CON character would take single digit damage cleaves which heal off over any chasing period.

Then the problem isn't really with heart containers, is it? At single-digit hits you'd need to take over 10 hits without healing before you get KO'ed. The heart containers will only protect you from a death of a thousand cuts as the wounds slowly bring your HHP from 100 to near-0.

Which, if the scaling is really that bad, just brings another problem: If stronger players cannot properly KO newbies, they'll instead be crippling them through slowly accumulating wounds, and by the time they can feasibly KO the newbie, the concussion might actually kill them. (It'll at least cripple them for the foreseeable future.) By not getting KOed before then they miss out on the free teleport home to protect them from being murdered, thus likely only increasing the suffering caused to newbies by griefers.

I don't know what you're on about, but having 1k hp through heart containers and taking single digit cleave damage is obviously bad.

Yes, but so is taking only single digit damage cleaves while having only 100 HP - you'll still survive for ages without using a single heart container. Remove the heart containers from the equation and the problem remains (just slightly less bad). The problem exists with single digit cleaves, not heart containers.
VDZ

Postby VDZ » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:30 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:A 10 con character has more effective HP vs. B12 cleaves than my main after it consumes 2 heart containers, and situationally more effective HP without containers verse a bunch of other attack varieties

Plus way, way faster effective HP regeneration.
VDZ

Postby shubla » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:37 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:

Go shoot yourself with a ranger bow on a 10 con character and a 10k con character both wearing ~900-1.1k AC and tell me having stats can't be detrimental.

The above is just the easiest to show example, but there can be very similar outcomes with melee attacks.
It's almost like having a percentile damage reduction on top of a static damage reduction is really powerful, and having a percentile damage taken increase on top of a static damage reduction is really bad

A 10 con character has more effective HP vs. B12 cleaves than my main after it consumes 2 heart containers, and situationally more effective HP without containers verse a bunch of other attack varieties

Obviously damage reduction is applied after armor.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby Melkior13 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:27 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:

A 10 con character has more effective HP vs. B12 cleaves than my main after it consumes 2 heart containers,

I agree that this is an issue, and can only assume that MHP gain via means other than CON gain were overlooked when the devs made this change.

and situationally more effective HP without containers verse a bunch of other attack varieties

I will admit that I don't understand this case. Would you mind sharing the calculation?

I just assumed that the new modifier was applied to the final damage. Perhaps this is where my misunderstanding is from?
Melkior13

Postby NeoBasilisk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote:the server is EXTREMELY LAGGY lately

I was wondering if it was just me
NeoBasilisk

Postby Dogswards » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:48 pm

I will leave the whole CON/STR discussion to those with more knowledge of combat and its mechanics, but about the symbel changes:

While it goes in the right direction, and certainly makes eating sub-optimal foods feel less punishing combined with the previous satiation changes, I think it went slightly too far. With the current Q of symbel our village has, hunger is pretty much meaningless, and we can eat pretty much everything without worrying about it, putting pressure on cooks.

While this makes cooks more useful, with no limit of hunger we are now going through way too much food. Feeding 3 - 4 people in the current system would pretty much be a full time job, which I think is a bit excessive. Nerfing symbel a bit so we can still eat more variety without feeling like we are wasting precious hunger, but at the same time not go through an entire pantry every day would in my opinion be ideal.
Dogswards

Postby shubla » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:08 pm

NeoBasilisk wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:the server is EXTREMELY LAGGY lately

I was wondering if it was just me

Can confirm
shubla

Postby Chevredoux93 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:11 pm

For me the symbel revert change, with satiation rework, is just good as it is and dont need changes for a while. It's far better than start of w11.
If people want to feast a lot they'll still have to produce the food they eat massively (or buy it).
And the game almost forces you to grind stats to survive even when just mining ... this way you can manage to produce food / consume it without being on game 24/7. As a casual + player, this change is really good. At last i can also gain some significant stats increase with a decent time of playing.
For pvp changes i couldn't tell but as a miner with more strenght than other stats, this will just make life harder as it is now (and sometimes mining is a real pain in the ass ... just stop these sudden attacks of groups of slimes ffs). I agree with some other posters that devs should be more focused on pleasure to play instead of complex mecanisms noone understand / not fun to play, just to complexify the game. That's not fun, and that doesn't prevent botting, but discourage players who can"t play dozens of hours a week.
Chevredoux93

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements