Game Development: Spring Cleaning

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Spring Cleaning

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 am

Vigilance wrote:
Dakkan wrote:So, fuck miners?

yeah brother sorry thats how it seems

usually how it goes.... :(
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Dakkan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 am

Vigilance wrote:super sweet update up until the whole "It's no longer a great strategy to actually focus time and energy raising a character in conventional strength." bit where I'm unable to hurt someone as bad because they deliberately avoided Constitution when they were grinding out their FEP's.

admittedly it would be very expensive to raise a sufficiently strong character via heart containers to exploit this bad-game-ism, but with the amount of heart containers some of my casual friends are consuming, it is very much doable to produce a meta fighter with super low Constitution, effectively gaining extra damage resistance, but not getting punished for it as they've gobbled +400 max hp or more from dungeons.

i would be outright astounded if the solution to this problem wasn't a revert, and instead was a nerf to heart containers, but i dunno what to expect. i do like the principle of trying to close stat-gap, but this is all wrong and really just opens up bad gameplay.

yeah brother sorry thats how it seems

What a wonderful post count to quit on
Dakkan

Postby loftar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:43 am

You still gain damage on the whole by raising strength, clearly, since that raises the base damage of an attack by more than the modifier decreases it. It's just a flattening of the curve, not a reversal of it.

The heart-container thing may be more of a problem, though.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:57 am

Damage scaling this way interacts really badly with AC. I can't max cleave a 10 con character for more damage than it is reasonable to have AC. On the other hand, once people start getting high const(if they're dumb enough to) it's not unreasonable to 1/2 hit people with mediocre Q Rbows. This damage scaling makes gearQ matter more, which I would argue is more difficult to overcome than stat disparity.

edit:
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MightySheep » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:21 am

Wait so getting constitution is bad now? I dont get it

Why does everything have to be so awkward in this game :roll: I just want to make numbers go up, stop trying to make me solve fucking mathematical equations
MightySheep

Postby Schattengaenger » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:28 am

"Table cloths now have a special slot in the table interface."

This might seem to be a simple thing, but I've been waiting for something like this for years now.
Thanks Jorbtar, love you guys to bits #nohomo
Schattengaenger

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:34 am

jorb wrote: m = (C/S)^(1/5)

That does mean "stronger char means weaker punch"
Even if the final plain gain from str is higher, that's just don't make any sense. Why it should be so?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 am

Enjoyment_2 wrote:
jorb wrote: m = (C/S)^(1/5)

That does mean "stronger char means weaker punch"
Even if the final plain gain from str is higher, that's just don't make any sense. Why it should be so?

I think you're reading it wrong, but maybe I am. As I see it, you take the normal damage calculation and multiply by the modifier. Higher strength will still mean more damage, but against a 10 con player, it's really going to hurt the amount of damage one can deal vs the older method. I'll note that I ran a graph. With a 500 str attacker and 100 con defender, you're at 72.5% damage (approximately). If I run up to 2000 str, the damage modifier drops to about 54.9%. The same 500 STR character vs a 10 con defender will only be doing about 45.7% damage. Figure that 500 STR character will be doing about 70 damage base with a punch. I could go much deeper in the statistical analysis about the advantages and disadvantages of what con one should have. That's an exercise for a small essay, though.

As argued earlier in the thread, there is a stark issue with heart containers and a CON 10 character now.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 am

MagicManICT wrote: With a 500 str attacker and 100 con defender, you're at 72.5% damage (approximately). If I run up to 2000 str, the damage modifier drops to about 54.9%

That's exactly what I was saying. Why gaining str makes my character weaker? (I'm not saying "deals less damage" but in one specific characteristic called 'damage modifier' it seems like having more str is not good"
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 am

I's target dependent so that you're not hitting someone with 100 hp for a 200 point punch. Instead, you'll be doing something around 70 points (numbers estimated based on 4000 str vs 10 con... sure I'm off by at least a few points). There are the other limits in place here, of course, such as how much a persons damage you can do in one blow, openings, and other combat related calculations... or at least those weren't mentioned as being removed.

The downside to this new thing is the converse... If I have 100 STR vs a 1000 con defender, I'll end up with a multiplier (about 2.5x), so my 30ish point punch will now be worth about 75. Stat gains now become a part of the meta game--how much, how fast, when to stop. Compare to endlessly pushing higher and higher.

It's certainly going to have a marked effect in PvE combat with bats having the equivalent of about 15 con, etc. It's no longer a consistent progression curve. The opponent is going to be a huge factor in how much you want to push STR, and raising numbers simply to raise numbers is discouraged.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements