Game Development: Spring Cleaning

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Spring Cleaning

Postby jock » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:56 pm

1. Remove Rage
2 Add mortality

Every time you do a murdery thing you become immoral.

The lower the slider the LESS you gain back after death. May the Hearth Serve the peaceful.

players start as Moral, scaling down to Immoral on a "10" point System

1 point for attacking a player(opening combat with a player for the first time)
3 points for knocking a player
5 points for killing a player

(players should be able to go beyond the point limit e.g. 10 immorality = 80% skill loss but they can go to 10+ immorality and live like a monster that they are. +1 if they get an evil hat)

Points recharge at 1 point per "x" day/s

Skill loss goes up the more points capping at 80%

Additional Option :

Add a War Declarations between Kingdoms that nullifies any of these effects. (some cooldown before it's active)

This enables PvP for all but punishes people for targeting rando's. Moves Pvp to war based/ desired players pvp focused more.
jock

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:52 am

jorb wrote:[*] When attacking, a damage modifier (m) is calculated based on the ratio between the attacker's Strength (S) and the target's Constitution (C) such that m = (C/S)^(1/5). The purpose being to somewhat soften the gain from increasing Strength and Constitution.

Have you guys decided to revert this yet? I kinda of assumed you'd remove it within a day, but the lack of autistic screeching has me concerned it'll take like a month
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby shubla » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:13 am

Devs really need some professional help with their obsession with arbitrary formulas that they just throw everywhere, causing chaos.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby VDZ » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:55 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:Should probably make this based on HP, so 10 CON characters with a bunch of heart containers don't just regenerate their health faster than the damage they take. Or just remove heart containers, like they probably should be.

Is HP regen based on Max HP rather than CON? Because if that's the case that seems like a problem to me. It's not just heart containers; it would also lock out the option of having equipment buff HP directly, temporary buffs raising HP, etc. Likewise, it's not just this specific formula that would be problematic in that context; anything involving CON-based damage or damage scaling would be hindered by faster regeneration. Wouldn't it be better if a 10 CON character with a bunch of heart containers would only regenerate as fast as a normal 10 CON character? (I'd expect an increase in HP to do only that and not also be a pseudo-CON increase for regeneration purposes.)
VDZ

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:48 pm

VDZ wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:Should probably make this based on HP, so 10 CON characters with a bunch of heart containers don't just regenerate their health faster than the damage they take. Or just remove heart containers, like they probably should be.

Is HP regen based on Max HP rather than CON? Because if that's the case that seems like a problem to me. It's not just heart containers; it would also lock out the option of having equipment buff HP directly, temporary buffs raising HP, etc. Likewise, it's not just this specific formula that would be problematic in that context; anything involving CON-based damage or damage scaling would be hindered by faster regeneration. Wouldn't it be better if a 10 CON character with a bunch of heart containers would only regenerate as fast as a normal 10 CON character? (I'd expect an increase in HP to do only that and not also be a pseudo-CON increase for regeneration purposes.)

HP Regen is flat (at some point at least, I don't know if they changed it). The problem here is that a 10 CON character would take single digit damage cleaves which heal off over any chasing period.
DDDsDD999

Postby rye130 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:09 pm

Am I missing something with the new damage modifier or would a character with 10 con have ~60% damage reduction against a character with 1k strength?

(10/1000)^(1/5)=.398

The scaling of damage from strength against low constitution characters is terrible...

Edit: How did this make it through? My numbers are showing a 10 con character being effectively as tanky against a 1k strength fighter with a q300 hirdsman sword using cleave as a character with ~1800 con used to be... This isn't even factoring in using hearts to gain health which become extra effective since lack of con is just straight up damage reduction...
rye130

Postby stya » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 pm

rye130 wrote:Am I missing something with the new damage modifier or would a character with 10 con have ~60% damage reduction against a character with 1k strength?

(10/1000)^(1/5)=.398

The scaling of damage from strength against low constitution characters is terrible...

Edit: How did this make it through? My numbers are showing a 10 con character being effectively as tanky against a 1k strength fighter with a q300 hirdsman sword using cleave as a character with ~1800 con used to be... This isn't even factoring in using hearts to gain health which become extra effective since lack of con is just straight up damage reduction...

I don't understand, if it works that way I would definitely want to fight with 1 con, there is no reason to stop at 10 ¦]

Just get some sweet dragon bite debuff and get down to 1 CON, hopefully they don't check base stats before modifiers but effective stats.

(1/1000)^(1/5)=.251
stya

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:16 pm

@Rye: no, you're numbers are correct according to a graph I ran (see an earlier post of mine).

@stya: Is there anything in calculations that are on "base value" rather than "current value?" I think you have a terrible, terrible idea there... (do note that because it's a fifth root, and you're only talking a 10^1 variance in ratio, it's going to make little difference against anyone with more than 100 STR.)

quick edit: if anyone really wants to see what this looks like, find a 3d graphic calculator on the internet (if you don't have one already; there's a few free sites out there) and run the formula "10 * squrt(x/10) * (y/x) ^ 0.2" simply to base the values on a punch; x = STR, y = CON. If you want to figure what a B12 or other weapon does, simply substitute the formula for the weapon in place of the punch damage (the first 10).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby VDZ » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
VDZ wrote:

HP Regen is flat (at some point at least, I don't know if they changed it). The problem here is that a 10 CON character would take single digit damage cleaves which heal off over any chasing period.

Then the problem isn't really with heart containers, is it? At single-digit hits you'd need to take over 10 hits without healing before you get KO'ed. The heart containers will only protect you from a death of a thousand cuts as the wounds slowly bring your HHP from 100 to near-0.

Which, if the scaling is really that bad, just brings another problem: If stronger players cannot properly KO newbies, they'll instead be crippling them through slowly accumulating wounds, and by the time they can feasibly KO the newbie, the concussion might actually kill them. (It'll at least cripple them for the foreseeable future.) By not getting KOed before then they miss out on the free teleport home to protect them from being murdered, thus likely only increasing the suffering caused to newbies by griefers.
VDZ

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:46 pm

VDZ wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:HP Regen is flat (at some point at least, I don't know if they changed it). The problem here is that a 10 CON character would take single digit damage cleaves which heal off over any chasing period.

Then the problem isn't really with heart containers, is it? At single-digit hits you'd need to take over 10 hits without healing before you get KO'ed. The heart containers will only protect you from a death of a thousand cuts as the wounds slowly bring your HHP from 100 to near-0.

Which, if the scaling is really that bad, just brings another problem: If stronger players cannot properly KO newbies, they'll instead be crippling them through slowly accumulating wounds, and by the time they can feasibly KO the newbie, the concussion might actually kill them. (It'll at least cripple them for the foreseeable future.) By not getting KOed before then they miss out on the free teleport home to protect them from being murdered, thus likely only increasing the suffering caused to newbies by griefers.

I don't know what you're on about, but having 1k hp through heart containers and taking single digit cleave damage is obviously bad.
DDDsDD999

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements