Feedback please: Do you require support for OpenGL 2?

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Feedback please: Do you require support for OpenGL 2?

Postby borka » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:45 am

Last edited by borka on Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby Fostik » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:35 am

Hell yes, Loftar!
If it will be possible somehow to run game on old pc's it will be great!
I am always facing problem on my notebook, because without drivers on linux my OpenGL version is not enough to play haven, so i am locked on windows.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby mvgulik » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:53 pm

borka wrote:mv - want a 8800 GTS /640 for free ?!?

How ? (pm: probably best)

I generally have no problem with free stuff ... But I'm not sure if I can plug it into my current system (one of those office rigs with some special (and low) power supply for which there no real update option available)

TDP: 25w => 143w
Slot Width: Single-slot => Dual-slot
(Mmm, will need to take a closer look at that ...)
---
Nope. That "TDP: 25w => 143w" is a definite show stopper. Can't plug it into my current system.
Last edited by mvgulik on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mvgulik

Postby ghandhikus » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:34 pm

LibGDX moved to 2 a few years ago.
Unreal Engine stopped supporting ES 2.0 last year in September.
Unity still has legacy support but you would need to write most of the shaders manually to support ES 2.

So yeah nothing too crazy about moving to a newer version of OpenGL. Since the game can't really run on the oldest hardware that doesn't support 3.0
King of Game-design and Java Programmer
Image RIP lather ball 2017/08/24 01:21
ghandhikus

Postby Clenda » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:10 pm

it's ok for the option 2
Clenda

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:04 pm

ghandhikus wrote:So yeah nothing too crazy about moving to a newer version of OpenGL. Since the game can't really run on the oldest hardware that doesn't support 3.0

While you have a very good point here, most of the reason for the client update and optimization was so that it could run on this older hardware. At least that's my understanding of it.

That the rest of us benefit from better overall performance is great. (And the performance is significantly better.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ghandhikus » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:17 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
ghandhikus wrote:So yeah nothing too crazy about moving to a newer version of OpenGL. Since the game can't really run on the oldest hardware that doesn't support 3.0

While you have a very good point here, most of the reason for the client update and optimization was so that it could run on this older hardware. At least that's my understanding of it.

That the rest of us benefit from better overall performance is great. (And the performance is significantly better.)

On older hardware in terms of performance, not 15-year-old hardware or relics like Android 4.
King of Game-design and Java Programmer
Image RIP lather ball 2017/08/24 01:21
ghandhikus

Postby shubla » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:37 pm

MagicManICT wrote:most of the reason for the client update and optimization was so that it could run on this older hardware. At least that's my understanding of it.)

That is not true.
The current client has so many bottlenecks that having the best computer that money can buy would still result in shitty fps at villages with lots of players/animals etc.
Performance for me seems to be largely CPU-bound, and as the client doesn't really seem to take advantage of multiple cores, having the newest processor doesn't help much.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:25 pm

shubla wrote:The current client has so many bottlenecks that having the best computer that money can buy would still result in shitty fps at villages with lots of players/animals etc.
Performance for me seems to be largely CPU-bound, and as the client doesn't really seem to take advantage of multiple cores, having the newest processor doesn't help much.

Maybe people have forgotten or never noticed because they don't look at bugs other than for their own issues, but there were a lot of people that quit playing due to single digit fps when w8 started. If this were purely about boosting performance for the current users, I don't think the question of dropping OGL 2.x support would even be here .Almost everyone that this question is aimed at has probably not been able to play due to driver compatibility (Intel GMA graphics only) or system performance was just too low.

But yes, I agree that performance has been largely CPU bound as OGL 2.x doesn't have GPU based optimizations that 3.x has. It's that particular crux that makes this upgrade a bit of a choice. Keep it as low impact as possible, even if it means losing a few players, or aim for no impact if possible (and the resulting increase in code maintenance).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby bmjclark » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:49 am

shubla wrote:The current client has so many bottlenecks that having the best computer that money can buy would still result in shitty fps at villages with lots of players/animals etc.

In fairness, this problem can largely be mitigated with some changes to the client from client makers without rewriting the whole thing. Boshaw fixed our client to not lag with lots of animals and im pretty sure ardennes pushed that fix to his public client later. I played the game at a solid 60 fps in 90% of cases. Even while watching meteor fights or while standing around 200 animals in their pens.

My computer was middle of the line around 6 years ago so im not exactly playing on anything fancy either.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements