Prelude: World 12

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Prelude: World 12

Postby mvgulik » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:13 pm

(superseded)
Last edited by mvgulik on Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mvgulik

Postby bmjclark » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:26 pm

So if you're rank 5, you have a 4 hour vulnerability when you upgrade. Ram dries in 15-20 hours depending on wall type meaning the vulnerability period is useless? You'd have to place the ram 12ish hours in advance to even make use of the vulnerability window. Why even bother putting this new system in at all other than to make it potentially annoying to build a new settlement?
Last edited by bmjclark on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby shubla » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:31 pm

bmjclark wrote:So if you're rank 5, you have a 4 hour vulnerability when you upgrade. Ram dries in 15-20 hours depending on wall type meaning the vulnerability period is useless? Why even bother putting this new system in at all other than to make it potentially annoying to build a new settlement?

Must change, change good.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jorb » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:47 pm

Indeed.

After much deliberation, and very reluctantly, we have decided to scrap most of the claim changes entirely, and simply make these changes.

• All claims now have a "Power Level". ranging from 0 to 1.
  • The "Power Level" of a newly established claim increases from 0 to 1 over the course of four RL weeks.
  • A Battering Ram requires 24h * the Claim's Power Level of drying time to destroy Palisades on the claim, and 32h * the Claim's Power Level of drying time to destroy Brick Walls on the claim.
  • The stronger claim always applies in case of overlapping claims.
  • Anyone can find out the "Power Level" of claim by inspecting it.

We, again, reluctantly, recognize that the problem of overlapping and enveloping claims is too great to solve naively, and that the system as it stands would be plagued by too many of the problems we saw with shields in W10. We believe that the establishment time mechanic, which was one of the primary reasons we wanted the change, can still be salvaged, as it acts as a strict debuff on younger claims.

We have not abandoned the mechanic as such, and still believe that it could show some promise, but not unless the problem of overlapping and enveloping claims is solved more forcefully than we are presently able to do. If and when we decide to change this again, we will consider doing so in a context more singularly dedicated to testing.

Thank you for your insistence in pointing out problems, and your feedback in general. We are still making changes, so there is plenty of time to complain about other things should you desire to do so.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Audiosmurf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:50 pm

jorb wrote:Indeed.

After much deliberation, and very reluctantly, we have decided to scrap most of the claim changes entirely, and simply make these changes.

• All claims now have a "Power Level". ranging from 0 to 1.
  • The "Power Level" of a newly established claim increases from 0 to 1 over the course of four RL weeks.
  • A Battering Ram requires 24h * the Claim's Power Level to destroy Palisades on the claim, and 32h * the Claim's Power Level to destroy Brick Walls on the claim.
  • The stronger claim always applies in case of overlapping claims.
  • Anyone can find out the "Power Level" of claim by inspecting it.

We, again, reluctantly, recognize that the problem of overlapping and enveloping claims is too great to solve naively, and that the system as it stands would be plagued by too many of the problems we saw with shields in W10. We believe that the establishment time mechanic, which was one of the primary reasons we wanted the change, can still be salvaged, as it acts as a strict debuff on younger claims.

We have not abandoned the mechanic as such, and still believe that it could show some promise, but not unless the problem of overlapping and enveloping claims is solved more forcefully than we are presently able to do. If and when we decide to change this again, we will consider doing so in a context more singularly dedicated to testing.

Thank you for your insistence in pointing out problems, and your feedback in general. We are still making changes, so there is plenty of time to complain about other things should you desire to do so.

Does this have any impact on the already existing timer for claims to become Active?
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby jorb » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:51 pm

No. The old activation timer was always unchanged.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Audiosmurf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:54 pm

jorb wrote:No. The old activation timer was always unchanged.

I suspected so, but wanted to confirm that explicitly. Thanks.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby ubersheva » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:56 pm

jorb wrote:Indeed.
[*] The "Power Level" of a newly established claim increases from 0 to 1 over the course of four RL weeks.
[*] A Battering Ram requires 24h * the Claim's Power Level of drying time to destroy Palisades on the claim, and 32h * the Claim's Power Level of drying time to destroy Brick Walls on the claim.

So in first four weeks, battering ram dries immediately?
ubersheva

Postby thomas_ewing » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:57 pm

jorb wrote:No. The old activation timer was always unchanged.

Good to know.

Will there be a change to the credo progression system? That is, can we have a system where you have to do 5 additional quests per credo attained, instead of 10? You've mentioned favoring this change a few times on streams. It would be nice.
thomas_ewing

Postby jorb » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:58 pm

No it increases linearly from 0 to 1 over the course of 4 weeks, passing an infinity of possible decimals on its way there.

jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements