Game Development: Tough Cordage

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Tough Cordage

Postby Oddity » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:56 pm

shubla wrote:...

Don't you know they only have 2 hours per week to work on the game? (despite it being their only job AFAIK)
Also they would have to play the game beyond the spruce cap stage to understand most of this stuff
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:40 pm

shubla wrote:You only add some fucking useless foods that take 1 minute to implement that no one ever cooks because game is so unbalanced.

Considering your choice of foods is limited by your supply of materials, I doubt there are any food items nobody ever cooks. Not all food is fantastic but as far as I'm aware each food item has its use, with the exception of some roast meats.

shubla wrote:(Like buff some curios and add "satiations" for curios)

Fuck no, curio maintenance is already enough of a hassle. I have an entire building for curio storage to maintain my LP gain, I don't want to have to expand even further because I have to mix up curios more to not have my LP gain crippled. Not to mention this runs counter to the current study desk mechanics and thus requires even more frequent logging on just to swap curios.

shubla wrote:Fix forageables. (Like buff them and make more common)

shubla wrote:For example, I haven't found any glimmers in 2-3 days, even though I have gone through all of our caves multiple times. Some weeks ago I could easily find multiple glimmers each time. What the hell is happening? Did you blacklist me for glimmers? Or is your game just broken? Why don't you change this, why don't you give any comments.
What are you trying to achieve by taking away glimmers from me? Make me buy them? But no one has any to sell, and they are not that good that I would buy them for a good price even if somebody had some of them to sell. This is not only broken forageable, there are others too, like boletes. I found plenty of them during early world, but now I haven't seen them IN MULTIPLE WEEKS, even though I try to forage quite a lot, but I'm getting desperate and am thinking about just stopping foraging (or playing altogether?) as I never find anything!

shubla wrote:Only way to find flotsams, edels etc. seems to be botting these days...

No, you just suck. As more players become capable of foraging glimmers and they do it more efficiently, supply decreases. This is not botting; this is making progress in normal gameplay. I have roads to three different areas where glimmers spawn and check them somewhat regularly, and I'm still studying glimmers nearly 24/7 as a hermit with no bots. No, it's not easy to get glimmers. But it shouldn't be because they're crazy good and function as a reward for putting in the effort to efficiently obtain them.

shubla wrote:Fix crime mechanics. (Make outlaw debuff more severe)

Why? It's not like there's a problem with excess crime. The roundpole fences I've built to block off cave entrances on the inside in the first few days still remain undamaged because nobody wants to leave vandalism scents. The game sufficiently discourages crime at this point.

shubla wrote:No one cares about barrels getting circular hitboxes.

I do. Minor changes are usually underappreciated but they subtly make the gameplay a lot more pleasant. Adding some fancy new content is a lot more exciting, but in the end I'll be interacting with these new hitboxes a lot more than whatever content they introduce.
VDZ

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:17 am

VDZ wrote:No, you just suck. As more players become capable of foraging glimmers and they do it more efficiently, supply decreases. This is not botting; this is making progress in normal gameplay. I have roads to three different areas where glimmers spawn and check them somewhat regularly, and I'm still studying glimmers nearly 24/7 as a hermit with no bots. No, it's not easy to get glimmers. But it shouldn't be because they're crazy good and function as a reward for putting in the effort to efficiently obtain them.

Actually, I think that IS the point. When players do make bots to get very specific things, you have to accept that the thing is way out of balance with the rest of the game and do something smart and reasonable to fix it. Doing something that just allows bots and very dedicated players to get it (or the lucky ones that have spots near them) while most of the rest of the player base struggles just makes it unfair. Last world, I never had an issue finding glimmers for needs, but never enough to study them consistently, and I was in the mines mining a lot and roaming caverns.

Now, I don't have numbers on any of this, but it would sure be interesting to see them. It'd either prove the point that it's broke or it is working as intended and quiet down some of the complaints.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby SirGoogle » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:54 pm

I am not very active HnH player. Last time i played was like 3-4 years ago? But for some reason i can relate to the point that some people are talking here.
Like i never was very good forager back then. I googled some stuff , upped my exp^per ratio. And on rare occasions i could find glimmers, flotsams,bluebells,heartsease.
What about now? Im playing from the start of the world. Not 24/7 obv but more like 2-3 hours per day.
Im taking long trips on my snekkja sometimes going around 2 hour trip for swamps/grass. Sometime i wonder off to some cave system where is no settlement around.
And guess what? I found 0 bluebells this world. I found 7 heartease(3 proced from forager credo). I found 0 glimmers. And i found about 7-8 flotsams(3 of them again being proc from forager) And that is with consideration that i put my time and effort to hunt for these things. Yet i still can't find them.
What is point of them then? What is point of my 10 000 exp*per score if i can't really forage anything useful?
I can just take some of my 40q chickens( which is not even great) take my 60q stone ( which is not even great) and made 45q feather trinket of them. Resulting in 530?i guess lp/hour. And this is MASS PRODUCTION stuff. I can get them anytime i want.
For counter part i have 8 flotsams that i found in 2!!! months that gave me 1200 lp/hour for a whole 32 hours ( rounded up).
So what is the point of rare forages? U can't even find them in your lifetime and EVEN IF U DO , they not even that great if u consider how few of them u can actually get.
And even so i have yet to find like 5-6 more foraging stuff with exp*per all seen lvl lower than mine.
I know there is people botting so devs can't really make them spawn more or give more lp/hour for them being worthy for me to waste my time.
But come on. Bots problem is dev problem. Why should i as a decent player suffer for it?
Im not asking to throw at me all rare foragers 50 per hour.
But getting 2-3 a day would be nice.
Because right now there is really nothing to forage for me.
Ill be better hunting boars/bears for q bones and making a lot of feathers / seer bowls/seer bones etc.
SirGoogle

Postby drakesaint » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:46 pm

Current Boar Spear has no lugs, which is almost a requirement for making spears specialized for, well, hunting boars, since you don't want your weapon stuck in the animal when it charges at you. If the current spear is too strong, then make two kinds, a normal Spear and a Boar Spear, one made from any metal, and other from Steel, and revert the nerfs on the Boar Spear and make it unthrowable. There, hermits can have their crappier spears and the Boar Spear will still be there for when you can make steel.
drakesaint

Postby drakesaint » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:51 pm

Also, two Tough Bark for ONE bark string? So cut the bark of six and a half trees for one rope. Mmkay.
drakesaint

Postby Oddity » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:39 am

drakesaint wrote:Also, two Tough Bark for ONE bark string? So cut the bark of six and a half trees for one rope. Mmkay.

don't forget 20 string for the stupid ropewalk :)
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby tyrtix » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:03 pm

i'm actually making ropes for a knarr out of this update. Nice thing. I still think that we should be able to make strings out of intestines, and possibly from entrails too, maybe drying them and then using a spindle. Intestines and animal tendons were used to string bows because they can make very thin and incredibly strong and elastic strings.
What if a bow can be strung with different kind of strings like a fishing pole?

Small edit: since trees are getting a better forageable resource, credos should reflect that by giving maybe more branches/baks/fruits and other stuff from them (like all the abilities do with farming products), and also we should be able to put most of that stuff, including bark, into wicker picker baskets.
tyrtix

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:54 am

jorb wrote:[*] Significant work on extending the bounding box representation to include polygonal and varied types bounding boxes. Should be deployable next week.
[

So something went wrong? Or just the work wasn't significant enough? the "next" week ends tonight without the patch? :(
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Previous

Return to Announcements