Game Development: Bound in Checkers

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bound in Checkers

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:08 pm

shubla wrote:I definitely hope that we get next patch sooner (like in few days) with some additional new hitboxes or anything really.

Not to say that it isn't perhaps a bit controversial with these kinds of patches, but I don't think we want to put ourselves in a situation where we can't dedicate ourselves to more technical issues for a while without throwing bread and circuses into the game just for the sake of it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Hasta » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:18 pm

loftar wrote:throwing throwing bread and circuses into the game

I thought that was the whole point of your existence :<

Srsly tho, "we made cool new boundary boxes... and implemented them for stuff you will rarely see" is an underwhelming patch =\
Hasta

Postby Artemiswhb » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:25 pm

God you people are spoiled :?
Artemiswhb

Postby VDZ » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:47 pm

Hasta wrote:Srsly tho, "we made cool new boundary boxes... and implemented them for stuff you will rarely see" is an underwhelming patch =\

This is a common issue in software development. You want to make the fancy, impactful stuff, but if you focus only on that the software will become harder to maintain and it will get increasingly difficult to add more stuff (plus, there'll be a higher risk of bugs). A lot of equally time-consuming under-the-hood work needs to be done to facilitate more interesting stuff. If the devs are pressured to always add more fancy stuff, when do they get the chance to work on under-the-hood stuff? In the long term, the less under-the-hood work is done, the less fancy stuff we'll get.
VDZ

Postby Procne » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:46 am

I am still amazed devs manage to pump out a little pieces of content on a weekly basis.
Procne

Postby Glorthan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:42 am

loftar wrote:
shubla wrote:But how about trees? are they now circular?

No, trees are so small that I don't really think the exact shape of their bounding box matters at all.

Spruce trees say "hi".

There are a few others with obnoxiously large boxes as well.
Glorthan

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 am

Hasta wrote:
loftar wrote:throwing throwing bread and circuses into the game

I thought that was the whole point of your existence :<

Srsly tho, "we made cool new boundary boxes... and implemented them for stuff you will rarely see" is an underwhelming patch =\

Sometimes it's the most technical, least visible things that will have the greatest impact on the game overall.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby AtoB » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:02 am

bmjclark wrote:
AtoB wrote:In case the client does not use that data: send it random garbage to fuck with the bots.

Ironically, it would fuck with the public client users more than it would fuck with the private client users seeing as the private ones are more actively maintained at this point.

I know their stance is that automated parts of the game are an indication of lacking mechanics. But along that logic they would need to discard practically the whole game as it as been fully automated by the ones that had to do it because they could. Thus fuck with the bots and private cheat clients, whenever the occasion arises. Make them worthless or counterproductive. So push garbage for hitbox data, then let the first some hundred characters that managed to run in straight lines around obstacles stuble and break their neck.
Repeat similar from time to time.
AtoB

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:45 am

Just wanted to say, love these big 'cat in the hat' styles.

:D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby harunic » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:44 pm

grate_hall_bug.png
grate_hall_bug.png (236.97 KiB) Viewed 907 times
I didnt anything :0
harunic

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements