Game Development: Bound in Checkers

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bound in Checkers

Postby Vigilance » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:15 am

Oddity wrote:
jordancoles wrote:I'm not sure what your current dev schedule looks like and if you are working on a daily basis then fuck me, I guess, but maybe you could shed some light on that as well :?:

also curious

agreed, also pretty curious how much the devs are actually doing at this point. i think the only way i can personally imagine the development cycle taking on the pace it has, is if there's some super mega giga-project being worked on thats top sekret.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:15 am

NeoRed9 wrote:
Mario_Demorez wrote:
Doesn’t really fit.

You're a moron.

Always the morons calling others morons when they get called out for being wrong.... :roll:
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:31 am

Vigilance wrote:there's some super mega giga-project being worked on thats top sekret.

What's "secret?" Loftar is trying to finish up the client update, and from the last live stream, jorb is working on assets to improve efficiency there. Jorb is working on Hammerting with Warpzone Studios--post here (at least part time... guess will be later before we know how much he's working on it). Both (I'm assuming) are working on the "object controlled object" thing, as jorb says he'd like to get that out as the next big update. Sounds like a lot of background work, to me, that is going to eat up a lot of time.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Jalpha » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:02 am

I think I recall jorb saying that he was going to have to redesign a lot of assets for the "object controlled objects" update. If he has a second job and with loftar bogged down in his own code (haha the irony) patches probably will be a little light.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Stoneface » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:06 pm

Nobody has murdered you yet?
Stoneface

Postby Jalpha » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:34 pm

The death system is much more forgiving now. People have tried.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby shubla » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:12 pm

loftar wrote: one of the things I plan to change once this system has been somewhat tested, is to effectively rotate the player's bounding box 45°, which should make it generally more conducive to not get stuck on stuff, trees or otherwise.

But wouldn't that mean that player hitbox gets a lot wider when you walk?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby bmjclark » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:03 pm

AtoB wrote:
bmjclark wrote:
AtoB wrote:In case the client does not use that data: send it random garbage to fuck with the bots.

Ironically, it would fuck with the public client users more than it would fuck with the private client users seeing as the private ones are more actively maintained at this point.

I know their stance is that automated parts of the game are an indication of lacking mechanics. But along that logic they would need to discard practically the whole game as it as been fully automated by the ones that had to do it because they could. Thus fuck with the bots and private cheat clients, whenever the occasion arises. Make them worthless or counterproductive. So push garbage for hitbox data, then let the first some hundred characters that managed to run in straight lines around obstacles stuble and break their neck.
Repeat similar from time to time.

Just saw this, so a late response to it. It doesn't matter if they give junk data for hitboxes. There were pathfinding bots in legacy and the client makers figured those hitboxes out and manually put them in as I understand it with no help from the devs. Unless you want to significantly change the size of objects randomly every few weeks, you'll never stop them.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby shubla » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:25 am

bmjclark wrote:Just saw this, so a late response to it. It doesn't matter if they give junk data for hitboxes. There were pathfinding bots in legacy and the client makers figured those hitboxes out and manually put them in as I understand it with no help from the devs. Unless you want to significantly change the size of objects randomly every few weeks, you'll never stop them.

Yeah, botting could be reduced quite easily for sure. But then there would be secret private clients that would still gain advantages of botting, while majority of the player base would have to be without bots, at disadvantage.
There are so many ways that one can use to automate things that it would be just a never ending battle.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Previous

Return to Announcements