Game Development: Mine Jesus

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mine Jesus

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:30 pm

svino wrote:I would like to see a pentalty for challenging and failing as well.

I did actually considered that exact thing, but wasn't really sure what kind of penalty. I considered making it so that the realm has a "challenge counter" that goes up once for every challenge made and makes the cost of challenging higher the higher it goes, and goes down by one when succeeding to destroy the challenged object, or more slowly over time. Thoughts?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby svino » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:32 pm

loftar wrote:
svino wrote:I would like to see a pentalty for challenging and failing as well.

I did actually considered that exact thing, but wasn't really sure what kind of penalty. I considered making it so that the realm has a "challenge counter" that goes up once for every challenge made and makes the cost of challenging higher the higher it goes, and goes by one when succeeding to destroy the challenged object, or more slowly over time. Thoughts?

Yes, that would work.

Also, i don't think you should be allowed to build any cairns if you are currently postponing or in an active challenge. Because right now, if we challenge 10 cairns, and have to wait 8 hours to bash them, a kingdom can build 50 new ones in another place.
svino

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:33 pm

svino wrote:Also, i don't think you should be allowed to build any cairns if you are currently postponing or in an active challenge. Because right now, if we challenge 10 cairns, and have to wait 8 hours to bash them, a kingdom can build 50 new ones in another place.

I'm less sure about that. For one thing, that seems like an excellent incentive to maintain that exact sort of dummy challenges as often as possible just to harass other realms. For another thing, I'm not sure why one part of a realm should really be affected by a completely different part of that realm being challenged. You already can't build new cairns on challenged ground.
loftar

Postby Kirche » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Absolutely fantastic addition to the game, more like this please, industry should have more to it than just rebuilding smelters, give me more stuff like this to build that lets me do interesting things! :D
Kirche

Postby svino » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:37 pm

What about increasing the cost of cairns into something that's not so easily farmable? Foragables, mined material etc. Right now they have virtually no cost because people just have massive flax fields run by bots. Maybe if they actually costed something that required a player to play the game, people would have more incentive to defend, and it would feel a bit more rewarding to destroy some. Right now i think BB has 2000 cairns, even if every other realm decided to challenge 10 cairns every 8 hours, and they were building 50 cairns every hour, noone would manage to make any changes to their kingdom size.

Good example for me would be gold nuggets, since it requires a fairly high statted character to go and mine something out. It would especially delay the early kingdom expansion race.
svino

Postby loftar » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:40 pm

svino wrote:What about increasing the cost of cairns into something that's not so easily farmable? Foragables, mined material etc. Right now they have virtually no cost

I'm split on that. I've considered making them more expensive, but I also want them to be cheap, so that realms can easily cover large areas instead of just prioritizing the big villages that net them large amounts of authority and leaving everything else unclaimed. I also think the point of destroying a cairn should be being able to claim the area it occupied for oneself, rather than destroying the investment that is the cairn itself.
loftar

Postby svino » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:46 pm

loftar wrote:I'm split on that. I've considered making them more expensive, but I also want them to be cheap, so that realms can easily cover large areas instead of just prioritizing the big villages that net them large amounts of authority and leaving everything else unclaimed. I also think the point of destroying a cairn should be being able to claim the area it occupied for oneself, rather than destroying the investment that is the cairn itself.

I think for 2000 cairns, 200 gold bars is a fair price. Probably noone would have 200 gold bars at this point, but i'm sure most big realms could have 50 gold bars stored right now. I don't like the idea of staying up all night, setting your alarm clock to wake you up every 2 hours to build cairns on your 10 realm expander alts, just to have a big advantage over the other factions which will have to spend hundreds of hours trying to gain territory back.

I think it would be more fun if the materials were the bottleneck of the expansion speed, rather than a persons autism level to skip sleep and multibox alts.
svino

Postby thomas_ewing » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:56 pm

svino wrote:Right now they have virtually no cost because people just have massive flax fields run by bots.

I would just like to state for the record that I am not a bot. LadyGoo once also accused me of being a bot, and Cole once accused me of being Onep. I'm just poor old Thomas. Nothing more, nothing less.
thomas_ewing

Postby Ciego » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Elevator - an expensive lesson (got taken for a ride...)

Built an elevator in the basement of a building on the surface, that was over a mine with open space. Cost 10 metal, 2 rope, etc.
It had no option for extend. In other words, an expensive 8x8 cupboard in a basement.

So went to mine lvl 1, in hopes of building something for the first elevator to extend to (the way a travel sign crossing a river works). Cost 10 metal, 2 rope, etc.
It HAS an option to extend DOWN (to mine lvl 2), but no way to "extend UP" to the elevator above it, in the basement.

Third try, cost 10 metal, etc... On the overground (surface). Option to extend. Said it placed a construction sign on the level below.
Went down, found construction sign on mine lvl 1 (in an open space, with already paved mine floor), clicked to see how much it would cost - 6 metal, a rope, etc.
Moved away to get materials, construction sign was gone. Back to surface, extended, construction sign again placed, no penalty or extra cost.

Now have an 8x8 "box" that effectively acts as a dumb-waiter, existing on the surface and mine lvl 1 simultaneously.
(Also have a "useless" elevator in a basement, and a third elevator - the top of which is in mine lvl 1 - with the capability to "extend down".)

The functioning elevator (on it's lowest level) asks you to CHOOSE WHETHER TO "OPEN" OR "EXTEND (down)" every time it is used.

Cost to date, 36 metal, 7 rope, etc. But it works, and will be a welcome tool, between my farm at the surface, and my storage in the mine below, at less cost (and smaller footprint) than a mine shaft.

The 8x8 box looks like a big cupboard, and accepts the same things as a wooden cupboard. No stacks, no liftables, no people, no animals, no wheelbarrows, no chests.
This is like an 8x8 cupboard, that multiple mine (and overground) levels can see at once (simultaneously).

========================================================

TLDR (Too Long, Didn't Read): Half of my elevators don't go all the way to the top.
Last edited by Ciego on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ciego

Postby captainmorgan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:43 pm

Can you put liftables in the new box?
captainmorgan

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements