Game Development: Garden Bell

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Garden Bell

Postby Mario_Demorez » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:43 am

jorb wrote:
Mario_Demorez wrote:Why did you help the realm who got hurt due a game mechanic and the realms mistakes? Did you do the same for the hermits in Shubla’s video that drowned due to your game mechanics and their dumbness to get to land? Were they revived or gifted half their lost lp? For some reason this whole “fix” seems to put realms at a higher pedestal than anyone else who plays the game.

If those were ongoing situations, rather than fait accomplis, I might have done something about them.

There’s a thread right now posted by one of the people killed by shubla. You’re saying you can’t give his new player an amount of lp equal to half or whatever percentage you think your game mechanic was at fault for? There’s a video of him dying and his old characters information. Seems plausible you can give him something to make him feel better for dying. I’m also sure if I scrolled back to bug reports that there’s plenty of times someone missed an update and thought the game worked differently and lost materials. There was even someone in discord today that tried to make an LP bank using a claim and just lost a shit ton of LP. Are you going to refund his LP due to the game mechanic? What about me? I thought animals could be tamed by multiple people but because of your game mechanic I killed multiple animals that I spent days on? Can I have animals spawned in for me? I even reported this to you. How are these examples irreversible?
Mario_Demorez

Postby AtoB » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:43 am

jordancoles wrote:While we are at it: make whales slower if you would prefer us to fight them on water because right now you agro it and race to land

So you can aggro it and be sure to win the race to land?
AtoB

Postby muncher » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:44 am

jorb wrote:
Mario_Demorez wrote:Why did you help the realm who got hurt due a game mechanic and the realms mistakes? Did you do the same for the hermits in Shubla’s video that drowned due to your game mechanics and their dumbness to get to land? Were they revived or gifted half their lost lp? For some reason this whole “fix” seems to put realms at a higher pedestal than anyone else who plays the game.

If those were ongoing situations, rather than fait accomplis, I might have done something about them.

"Bots and custom clients are both, in the philosophical fundamental of things, only means of generating server input, and as long as the server input they generate is technically legal, there is very little about it that stands out as being obvious and easy targets for anything resembling a "ban"."

I love how you got sent a video of someone using a bot to negatively affect the experience of other players and it didn't cross your mind to take action about it. Guess seeing a video of it really doesn't "stands out as being obvious and easy targets for anything resembling a "ban"
muncher

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:37 am

muncher wrote:I love how you got sent a video of someone using a bot to negatively affect the experience of other players and it didn't cross your mind to take action about it. Guess seeing a video of it really doesn't "stands out as being obvious and easy targets for anything resembling a "ban"

Actively advising me to shoot the messenger?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:46 am

Not saying to Knarr/Snek change is good or bad, but it won't affect drowning nabs at all. It just switches real combat around kanrrs from being silly in one way to being silly in another.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Mario_Demorez » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:48 am

Why not just make hearthlings able to hearth while in water?
Mario_Demorez

Postby muncher » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:49 am

jorb wrote:
muncher wrote:I love how you got sent a video of someone using a bot to negatively affect the experience of other players and it didn't cross your mind to take action about it. Guess seeing a video of it really doesn't "stands out as being obvious and easy targets for anything resembling a "ban"

Actively advising me to shoot the messenger?

If the whole point of the video was as a "message", then he could have killed his own alts or bots instead of going after other players. But it's good to know that I can do whatever I want in this game that will give me an advantage, as long as I send the proof that I did it to you so you can fix it.
muncher

Postby Mario_Demorez » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:51 am

People who report bugs and exploits are actually rewarded sometimes. I think it’s good they didn’t punish shubla. Also shubla and plenty of other people warned the developers about this problem and they were ignored. Shubla just made it where they opened their eyes a little more. Shock value of real players losing their shit probably helped.

The difference here and what you just said, muncher, is that shubla pointed out previously that someone could create this bot and do exactly what he did. THEN after devs did not fix it he went ahead and proved his point. Once a bug or exploit is public knowledge I think it is fair game to use or abuse?
Mario_Demorez

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:19 am

jorb wrote:The changes we made in this patch made it possible for one Realm to lose a significant amount of authority in ways not previously implied by their member permissions. Losses total 1M+ auth.

On account of this, we have bailed that Realm out with a stimulus package of 500k Auth.

Permissions have been changed so that: Issuing Realm challenges when the challenge counter is more than 1 now requires the permission to use Realm Abilities, as well as the permission to issue challenges. This is a temporary measure, and we will make further changes in light of this.

Updating OP. Thank you for reading.

Interesting that players don't get any reimbursement for bugs, deaths due to abuse etc. But devs coffins immediately open when its about realms.

I guess we all others are really 2nd class citizens in this game.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Mario_Demorez » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:22 am

shubla wrote:
jorb wrote:The changes we made in this patch made it possible for one Realm to lose a significant amount of authority in ways not previously implied by their member permissions. Losses total 1M+ auth.

On account of this, we have bailed that Realm out with a stimulus package of 500k Auth.

Permissions have been changed so that: Issuing Realm challenges when the challenge counter is more than 1 now requires the permission to use Realm Abilities, as well as the permission to issue challenges. This is a temporary measure, and we will make further changes in light of this.

Updating OP. Thank you for reading.

Interesting that players don't get any reimbursement for bugs, deaths due to abuse etc. But devs coffins immediately open when its about realms.

I guess we all others are really 2nd class citizens in this game.

Jorb - “ I mean, also, yes, in a sense I do care more about a Realm, than I do about a new character. The former represents several orders of magnitude more work. I think I should care more about that.”
Mario_Demorez

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements