Game Development: Smoked 'Shroom

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Smoked 'Shroom

Postby sabinati » Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:well, since the hype train is somehow gone, I wanna make some summary:
smoked meat - is another noone-asked and noone-would-care mechanic, useful only for "we're testing fuel influence on prepared food and also wanted to fuck up all the food-services players have made as hard as we could". cool.

people did ask though
sabinati

Postby xzo » Fri May 08, 2020 1:25 pm

you guys all missing one important point there

this thing is cheap to build, cheap to run, so why should it give op foods, also it might not be super cool now but once we can smoke fish and sausages it might bring it to some good level, you cant expect smoked pork to be better than it is just because thing is new, relax a bit, new does not have to be super unbalanced op straight away
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby MadNomad » Fri May 08, 2020 1:28 pm

xzo wrote:you guys all missing one important point there

this thing is cheap to build, cheap to run, so why should it give op foods

why immediaely call it op? it could be just enough for it to be viable

there are a lot of cheap and easy to make things which give more feps and do not require to bother with using various wood for various meats (thousands of combinations to try out in case of smoked meats, just to figure out which combinations yield the most, and those aren't that great) and this makes smoking meat a bad option

just look at some random baked item or sausage and it's going to be cheaper and yet give like 3 times as much fep/hunger

if they already added it then it's just better to make it something useful, instead of just pretending it doesn't exist because other things are better

of course if it stays as it is then it's fine, because the other things for feps are still there, but it doesn't mean we can't ask for it to be improved!
MadNomad

Postby Hadehariast » Fri May 08, 2020 3:55 pm

In case anyone is wondering, using multiple woods results in multiple bonuses being applied-- but the bonus seems to scale depending on how much of each individual wood is being used.

In this example, Maple reduces Hunger while Hazel adds Intelligence.

Based on previous examples posted in this thread, 100% Hazel added twice as much Intelligence as 50% Hazel does.

(bug report submitted for fuel rounding error)
Hadehariast

Postby drakesaint » Sat May 09, 2020 6:19 pm

Not sure what people expected out of a low-entry food alternative. Also not seeing non-traditional wood being tested nor ludicrously high-quality sheds.

If this requires salt water for better FEP gain/better hunger reduction, then it might be usable in low Qs.
drakesaint

Postby Kuddie » Sat May 09, 2020 7:15 pm

I don't really understand the complaints here about the food "not being strong enough". You're supposed to mix different foods to cash in on the variety food bonus, and the more different types of food we have available the easier it is to get this huge bonus when feasting.

Be happy that we have more food types.
Kuddie

Postby Ciego » Sun May 10, 2020 3:02 am

sabinati wrote:cool concept but very underwhelming as it currently is.

as others have said please consider the following:
  • brine/spice optional prep
  • better FEP output in general, a lot of the output of this is just trash
  • other inputs: fish, bird, cheese, sausage, mushrooms, vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, salt
  • specific recipes to be smoked e.g. 1 pork + 1 fat cut = 1 bacon
  • allow some recipes like fishwraps & etc to be smoked as well as pitbaked
  • use smoked ingredients as inputs either in specific recipes (recipe requires or allows smoked ingredient) or general recipes (smoked x substitutes as either raw or roast x)

I vote for all that. ^^^
Ciego

Postby Necrisha » Sun May 10, 2020 3:14 am

Quality from a 40q shed and 20q shed appear to be comparable with 10q logs being burned, so quality of smoke shed likely affects sqeed of completion like drying racks rather than softcapping meats. other than that, what I've seen indicated that wild meat benefits from smoking the most- I've personally seen highest gain from wild goat & venison, others have reported Lynx as gaining some high bonuses as well.
Necrisha

Postby lostnumber » Wed May 13, 2020 4:29 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Builds and crafts now present their cost in short form on their tooltips in the Action Menu wherever the cost is deterministic/straight-forward.

super! it is +100 to usability
can you consider this suggestion again please?
lostnumber

Previous

Return to Announcements