Game Development: Render Dock

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Render Dock

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:53 am

Antaraner wrote:
Aqua vitae is A highly pure form of alcohol used mostly in medicine. Thats the stuff out which whiekey gin bourbon was developed. Vodka means water, whiksey means water of life.
And the process is as long you dont store it in a barrel or dont differentiate in the sourcematerial 100% identical.

Right, my bad.

Aqua Regia is some Acid concotion to melt metals.

Which would also be an interesting material to have access to.

I'm also enthusiastic about the possible additional use for candles that's more than cosmetic. Either in the building of, or fueling of, the Alembic.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby pheonix » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:19 am

Here's to hoping that this is actually some new fun mechanic or industry :D.

Also please don't make it as bad as last time you designed them, that pressure cooker drove us mad.

pheonix

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:38 am

If we're going to have alchemy, I really do hope it's appropriate to the period--the iron age--and not the 17th century variety. Distillation wasn't really known until just before (or was it after? never can recall with going to wikipedia) the invention of the printing press.

Thanks for the information, at least!
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:07 am

MagicManICT wrote:If we're going to have alchemy, I really do hope it's appropriate to the period--the iron age--and not the 17th century variety. Distillation wasn't really known until just before (or was it after? never can recall with going to wikipedia) the invention of the printing press.

Thanks for the information, at least!

"Early evidence of distillation was also found related to alchemists working in Alexandria in Roman Egypt in the 1st century. Distilled water has been in use since at least c. 200, when Alexander of Aphrodisias described the process."

Sorry, it's quite old.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:17 am

Yeah, I stated that very poorly. But my statement isn't false... the principles (rules) weren't known, and things like production of strong alcohols just didn't happen until the late middle ages. Also to note, the Iron Age was considered to end at around 500 BC. While that isn't a huge difference in technology levels, it is a difference. That's about 700 years between the approximate end of the iron age (at least in the Mediterranean and Arabic regions) and the first recorded uses of distillation processes.

Alchemy, however, is very old dating back to at least King Solomon, Babylonians, etc... at least back into the Bonze Age.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Zentetsuken » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:04 pm

*sitting on a solid gold throne at a table with a spread of birthday cake, troll mushrooms and mammoth, with an electric ceiling fan on your head*

*sips wine from a wine glass*

"I REALLY DO HOPE ALCHEMY WILL BE APPROPRIATE TO THE IRON AGE PERIOD"

Zentetsuken

Postby jordancoles » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:41 pm

I just hope that it's expanded on rather than added in one patch with 2 features and left on the shelf for 3 years
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby AtoB » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:08 pm

I hope they do not double-down on it in case the initial patch goes into the wrong direction (from the perspective of the ones who'll have to deal with it: us).
AtoB

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:56 pm

jordancoles wrote:I just hope that it's expanded on rather than added in one patch with 2 features and left on the shelf for 3 years

literally this, god ive said this like 100 times already.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Stoneface » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:54 am

I'm just happy there is going to be more content, regardless of how fleshed out it is at the start. I remember back when horses were but a pipe dream..... :geek:
Stoneface

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements