Game Development: Smoked Help

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Smoked Help

Postby TheMephProject » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:33 am

irongete wrote:
Stoneface wrote:I am all for seasons, but the rolling 4 seasons at once seems to not reward those who prepare for the coming seasons. As it was a staple of life to prepare for winter and other natural events, I feel like the 4 seasons at once would just make it seem silly and pointless. -1 to the 4 seasons at once.

You still need to prepare for seasons because in your area will be Winter for X days. You need to have stock or trade with other people that have for example Summer on his area.

I just told the idea because it looks very cool and more realistic, maybe it can be only two seasons at the same time or other variants.

i dont think the idea of walking in the winter to a part of the world where it is still summer is realisticly at all, i could imagen a transition fomr norht to south over some few days or a week could be fine ...
TheMephProject

Postby irongete » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:51 pm

TheMephProject wrote:
irongete wrote:
Stoneface wrote:I am all for seasons, but the rolling 4 seasons at once seems to not reward those who prepare for the coming seasons. As it was a staple of life to prepare for winter and other natural events, I feel like the 4 seasons at once would just make it seem silly and pointless. -1 to the 4 seasons at once.

You still need to prepare for seasons because in your area will be Winter for X days. You need to have stock or trade with other people that have for example Summer on his area.

I just told the idea because it looks very cool and more realistic, maybe it can be only two seasons at the same time or other variants.

i dont think the idea of walking in the winter to a part of the world where it is still summer is realisticly at all, i could imagen a transition fomr norht to south over some few days or a week could be fine ...

Yeah, probably would make more sense having a set of two seasons cycling from north to south, but we dont if there is a Sun or more than one and where is/are located.
One thing we know for sure is that the World is not a sphere so maybe those kind of seasons like in the GIF makes sense.
We need Flat-Earth Society to help us with this.
irongete

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:58 pm

xd if summer is 30 days, and winter is 5-10 I can't wait for it to just be snow on a 20 grid wide line vertically across the map. What fun immersion. Can't wait to have to make a farming outpost and move all of my quality farming shit whenever it's winter in my village, but not elsewhere. Can't wait to chase somebody into the snow where they have sleds waiting and get called a pussy for not following because I didn't also have a sled.

It's almost like purely designing around thematically interesting things usually result in bad/unfun mechanics!!
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Apocoreo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:32 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:xd if summer is 30 days, and winter is 5-10 I can't wait for it to just be snow on a 20 grid wide line vertically across the map. What fun immersion. Can't wait to have to make a farming outpost and move all of my quality farming shit whenever it's winter in my village, but not elsewhere. Can't wait to chase somebody into the snow where they have sleds waiting and get called a pussy for not following because I didn't also have a sled.

It's almost like purely designing around thematically interesting things usually result in bad/unfun mechanics!!

Sounds fun, playing off terrain and timing to do tricky shit like the sled thing. That'd be me minus the trash talk. We got about 6 bases, all potential farming zones this world. I doubt winter would still be 5-10 days were they to do a change on that scale, it would mean a total overhaul of seasons. Plus I'm still going to advocate for unique winter crops (sorta like snowcaps).

I do see you point in that every dedicated farmer I've met hates leaving their walls. Personally I hate that playstyle with a passion, but if Farmer's like being homebodies then we should defend that. On the one hand they'll hate it, on the other hand loading up the farmer and his tools into the knarr, summoning all the village warriors and sailing out around the same time as everyone else sounds like a blast!
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Agrik » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:09 pm

TheMephProject wrote:i dont think the idea of walking in the winter to a part of the world where it is still summer is realisticly at all
It only means that the game world is too small if you can cross half of it in a short time on foot. Or maybe the means of transportation are too fast.

irongete wrote:Yeah, probably would make more sense having a set of two seasons cycling from north to south
I can imagine seasons waving north-south through the year. Probably with the most "summer" part being in the middle of the world (experiencing fall and spring twice a year as a price of having no winter), not at the southern edge, for the sake of contest for the central position.

irongete wrote:We need Flat-Earth Society to help us with this.
I'm not a part of it by any means, but I can suggest (again) four sectors rotating around 0,0 point, as an alternative to four sliding seasons, though I'm not sure which one is better. The center point, I think, can be deliberately placed mid-ocean, so there would be no weird-looking land.
Agrik

Postby mvgulik » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Agrik wrote:... rotating around 0,0 point, as an alternative to four sliding seasons, though I'm not sure which one is better. The center point, I think, can be deliberately placed mid-ocean, so there would be no weird-looking land.

Rotation also comes with different ground/point-speed at different radii. Probably not something the current game engine is capable of, or seems to have a need for ... other than for this idea.
mvgulik

Postby Agrik » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 pm

mvgulik wrote:Rotation also comes with different ground/point-speed at different radii. Probably not something the current game engine is capable of, or seems to have a need for ... other than for this idea.
Current game engine isn't capable of moving seasons at all (or so it seems), but it doesn't mean such a feature can't be added.

"Rotating" doesn't mean actual movement, only a different formula to calculate the current season value for given coordinates on a given day. I don't think it is much harder than a linear motion, only needs a bit of trigonometry. Something like arctan(y/x) in degrees plus or minus 2*day (IIRC, H&H has 180 days in a year) then compare it to ranges...
Agrik

Postby mvgulik » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:46 am

Sure, any feature could be added with sufficient effort and grease.
Maybe it will make it someday ... in the far future.
mvgulik

Postby Gustyboy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:18 am

MagicManICT wrote:A Tale in the Desert had a part of their content that is based around a shifting pattern like this when I played it years ago. I forget exactly what it was off the top of my head (suppose I could look it up on the wiki), but I recall it being a thing that was needed for tests, and was a huge pain in the ass because you'd have to chase into deep desert for it. If I remember "the thing" correctly, it was useful as it did encourage a player to go to areas they normally wouldn't go, and thus interact with things that were needed for other tests (or search the area for construction materials).

Also, just an FYI, not the first time that had been posted.

Fishing for example is ruled in ATITD by "waves". Also, some crops responds to waves to duplicate seeds. There are the 2 I remember.
Gustyboy

Postby AHONEN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:15 am

jorb wrote:
satinembers wrote:I have mixed feelings about shortened winters. I like sled hunting, but for the first couple of days there isn't enough snow and ice to make it worthwhile. Now we'll have less time, unless the pace of snow accumulation can be increased.

Otherwise, nice update.

Thanks! Will consider covering over with snow faster.

Was this implemented for this winter?
AHONEN

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements