Game Development: Sails Furled

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Sails Furled

Postby jason1982 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:19 pm

Again it’s not so much that it happened it’s how the devs handle it
jason1982

Postby jason1982 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:21 pm

And just a FYI it was under construction before update and we lost all cloth when server came back up so we was like that sucks but let’s finish it before something else happens
jason1982

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:13 pm

jason1982 wrote:Yes i know its in Alpha but that excuse only goes so far.

It goes a lot further than you think.

jason1982 wrote:was it preventable sure but its a mistake.

So was Y2K, and it cost, at the time, several billion dollars in hardware and software upgrades to fix. When great CEOs make statements like "Nobody needs more than 640k RAM*" less than 10 years before everyone is running software wanting 4MB of RAM... The industry is still that shortsighted in some regards.

The question is "what's reasonable reimbursement?" I burned up q100 wood and q200 metal to build my knarr. I know that isn't much to some people here, but for me, at this moment, it was a big investment. Do you think I'm going to be happy with a q20 in return? I'd rather just smash it and rebuild. At least I can use my old one until I can regrow my trees.

One could argue that a better database system could be used to track materials spent, so that proper refunds in materials could be made. Is that affordable on the budget that this game has? Good databases require a significant amount of computing power, especially one that has to perform in real time on a game. It's not as expensive as it was 10 years ago, but you can run all the game data for this game on a single desktop PC. The database operations would either require a high end server system or a small network of dedicated nodes. (Note that I am making a lot of assumptions about data throughput on this based on what financial database data processing looks like.)

*Bill Gates, c. 1982 shortly after the release of the IBM PC
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Clemence » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 pm

Well perhaps it could be solved without rebuilding the database, there may be 1 or 2 q1 boats, one dev just come and see the Q of the mat the guy got and make them a boat about that q, not much time spent imo.
Clemence

Postby mvgulik » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:35 pm

... Take your pick ...

7df6a1ce5419ae798098bee0e39db48f
mvgulik

Postby boshaw » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:27 pm

Why do simple tests on the dev server when they have testers who pay them :lol:
boshaw

Postby Gerdgen » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:24 am

mvgulik wrote:Image
... Take your pick ...

7df6a1ce5419ae798098bee0e39db48f

I'll take any of them.
Gerdgen

Postby jordancoles » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:58 am

Gerdgen wrote:I'll take any of them.

Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Stoneface » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:15 am

Has anyone figured out what the rough polish is for yet?
Stoneface

Postby vatas » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:19 am

My first thought was that if I'd been the devs, I'd just spawned them q200 knarr. Also when during w8 or w9 I had a stern position that when the strongest character of that world was bugraided and killed, I'd given him LIFETIME subsription (devs gave him one month which I stated, seemed more like just adding insult to injury. )

More careful consideration might have revealed to me why devs did neither of those things. People would rush to build q20 knarrs and insist they should actually be q400. Bugraided character is harder to replicate, but I bet your ass that people would be begging for free sub every time they died to smallest of bugs if my suggestion had been granted back then.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements