Game Development: Sails Furled

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Sails Furled

Postby jason1982 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:41 pm

vatas wrote:My first thought was that if I'd been the devs, I'd just spawned them q200 knarr. Also when during w8 or w9 I had a stern position that when the strongest character of that world was bugraided and killed, I'd given him LIFETIME subsription (devs gave him one month which I stated, seemed more like just adding insult to injury. )

More careful consideration might have revealed to me why devs did neither of those things. People would rush to build q20 knarrs and insist they should actually be q400. Bugraided character is harder to replicate, but I bet your ass that people would be begging for free sub every time they died to smallest of bugs if my suggestion had been granted back then.

I don’t think you understand what happened because people building q 20 knar would do them no good the bug was a q1 I would challenge any one to build a q 1 knar to say they been cheated. It would probably take more work then building a high q one lol
jason1982

Postby vatas » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:45 pm

jason1982 wrote:
vatas wrote:My first thought was that if I'd been the devs, I'd just spawned them q200 knarr. Also when during w8 or w9 I had a stern position that when the strongest character of that world was bugraided and killed, I'd given him LIFETIME subsription (devs gave him one month which I stated, seemed more like just adding insult to injury. )

More careful consideration might have revealed to me why devs did neither of those things. People would rush to build q20 knarrs and insist they should actually be q400. Bugraided character is harder to replicate, but I bet your ass that people would be begging for free sub every time they died to smallest of bugs if my suggestion had been granted back then.

I don’t think you understand what happened because people building q 20 knar would do them no good the bug was a q1 I would challenge any one to build a q 1 knar to say they been cheated. It would probably take more work then building a high q one lol

MagicMan mentioned getting q20 knarr, assumed it was this bug. q1 knarr would probably have much better grounds for dev intervention. At least I couldn't make one in short notice without specifically trying to do build q1 workstations (requiring me to plant q1 trees.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby jason1982 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:44 pm

No that was in response to the devs giving everyone at least a q20 knar who got a q1 I said that because then it would show the devs at least are trying to help fix what the messed up
jason1982

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:40 pm

vatas wrote:MagicMan mentioned getting q20 knarr, assumed it was this bug. q1 knarr would probably have much better grounds for dev intervention. At least I couldn't make one in short notice without specifically trying to do build q1 workstations (requiring me to plant q1 trees.)

Aye, it was an example of "not enough compensation" or "not the right kind of compensation. Sorry for the confusion there, but you made an excellent point of why it's hard to compensate people for some things. Characters are never reinstated, even if it is possible, because it's too complicated to get to the truth of "why." I think it was in this thread that I mentioned the database tracking that could be done via transactional systems, but they require a lot of server overhead.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jason1982 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:27 pm

Yeah I guess what it boils down to is the devs don’t care about the people who support the game. But I guess I should know that with as many years as I have been a member of this website. All I can say is if this is to stay true I will be investing my money elsewhere.
jason1982

Postby Narski » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:26 am

Not that the devs don’t care, it’s the fact that they don’t care because, it has been stated multiple times by them, this is “their game”. They don’t ban bots - which can be directly correlated to power creep and the killing of the server pop after 3 months. I have been staying for years, this is an amazing game, however, pvp is too punishing, the fact there are boundless exploits in which can be used against you by players who have farming bots farm, cooking bots cook, mining bots mine, and smithing bots spiral. (Most of of spiraling metal was killed back in w11)

No average human can compete with that. Hence the die off of player base.

So full circle, the devs do care that you play “their game” they just don’t care if you have fun while doing it.

No hard feelings to jorb or loftar, just have a different opinion on how their game should be marketed. You can’t have a game as Grindy as this (love the grind), have such a grief riddled game world.

Btw, if you guys ever do decide to do private servers, I’d pay $100 a month for a subscription to host my own server.
Narski

Postby Ants » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:54 am

Is the hat animated? Does anyone have a gif?
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Ants » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:03 am

Does this update mean we can steal enemy sails and replace them with ones that say stuff like #1 CUCKLORD?
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:31 am

Ants wrote:Does this update mean we can steal enemy sails and replace them with ones that say stuff like #1 CUCKLORD?

If you've got a master key to the knarr or snekkja, I suppose so.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:46 pm

Narski wrote:pvp is too punishing

As someone who is not a PvP'er, and has been the target of raids and have lost characters... I respectfully disagree and would say it isn't punishing enough. Death has been so padded and coddled it barely has any relevance anymore.

Narski wrote:Btw, if you guys ever do decide to do private servers, I’d pay $100 a month for a subscription to host my own server.

I hope they never, ever, do this.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements