Game Development: Alchemical Adventures

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Alchemical Adventures

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:03 pm

some may say that it is good to not include more than one "also" in your post...
maybe they're wrong...
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Okocim » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:57 pm

TalosB wrote:And may be duration of Elixirs shoud be tweaked, because i think, 7,5 minutes is too short for some of them(Battle-potions is fine, 7,5 minutes is far more then enough, but for the civil potions 7,5 minutes completely aren't)

Duration is one of alchemy effects and can be both shortened and extended.

I have spent a lot of time playing with alchemy and imho it's poorly implemented.
1. Filling up excel sheets might be fun for me, but for most ppl is not, there should be an easy way to check ingredient qualities.
2. All elixir recipes require base material, meaning perfect potion needs to have at least 4 different effects, on top of that all processes seem to be removing effects of ingredients, meaning the most effects we could theoretically have in a perfect potion is 6, combining of effects also seem limited by this, so creating long duration potion with decent stat bonus isn't happening.
3. Stat bonuses are flat values, meaningless for developed characters. For new world start you probably won't be able to create a perfect potion because of lack of materials and any other kind of potion would take huge chunk of your initially low hp pool.
4. The only real use for potions atm is to easily remove wounds that should have been hard to heal, like bum burn or wretched gore and again flat values for everything makes it unbalanced.
5. Wounds in every imperfect potions are just pushing ppl away from alchemy

How things can be improved:
1. More negative effects, instead of summing all unmatched effects and turning it into one of 4 wounds, turn them into negatives of specified effect, when smithing is unmatched it turns into debuff for smithing for the duration of the potion, only unmatched heal effects should turn into wounds.
2. Add elixir recipes that does not require a base material and can use processed materials only.
3. Make stat bonuses % values, so they wont become obsolete.
4. Adjust effect strength so healing bum burns isn't as easy as healing scrapes and cuts.
5. Can also make some wound that would prevent from drinking massive amounts of potions.
Okocim

Postby ctopolon4 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:44 pm

potion should last longer (4hr, long 8, short 2)
mix all properties again and dont show them on potion description (only after drinking or skill to identify(for sale) if you already know it)
wounds should provide positive effect in exchange for health (like pipe wheeze)
ctopolon4

Postby Lalaxx » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:19 pm

ctopolon4 wrote:wounds should provide positive effect in exchange for health (like pipe wheeze)

yeah rotten guts sounds like a good thing
Lalaxx

Postby Karede » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:18 pm

Add me to the ranks of those who got alchemy'd
Karede

Postby Ardennesss » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:10 pm

Karede wrote:Add me to the ranks of those who got alchemy'd

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:11 am

I mean, he was pretty honest about the whole situation

After Baron died I truly believe he looked at it
Zentetsuken

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:50 am

It seems absurd to me that you would try to balance the game with wounds, like bum burn, to stop people from heavily abusing certain mechanics, then you add a way to completely circumvent those wounds. You talked so much in dev streams about liking wounds, and wanting PVP wounds to be more cumbersome, but you added a way to cure every wound cheaply within a few hours.

Alchemy seemed like fun when I thought it was just going to be a side thing that would be useful in niche situations(adder bite, allergic reaction, beestings, early world stat buffs), but it has become overwhelmingly apparent that it's obscenely overpowered, and anybody who doesn't heavily engage with it just isn't trying. Same as credos, could've been fun, if it weren't a mandatory chore.

I assume based on people heavily complaining, and the next patch not addressing it at all, that alchemy is going to be around in its current form for at least a while. I just want to go on record as saying I think it makes the game way worse for very little benefit, but could VERY EASILY be balanced to just be some misc side fun. Just like credos.

Also, alchemy makes getting stats WAY easier. If stats suddenly become 40% easier to get (alchemy made it more than 40% easier), then everybody who grinded prior to alchemy may as well have died. The value of my character definitely way down way more by virtue of alchemy than if it had died. This happened three or four times last world, and at least once the world before that. Some patch adds a new way to grind that's obscenely OP compared to the previous methods, and idk about others, but when my character gets devalued like that it's kinda demoralizing...
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:27 am

remove bum burn cure, you made ancient root worthless.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Slowwalker » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:06 pm

jorb wrote:
  • Added Alchemy.
    <...>
    • A raw material -- base ingredient acquired from nature -- can only be used once in an alchemical elixir or process, meaning that you can't, for example, use both Blueberries and an Herbal Grind made from two blueberries, to create a perfectly matched elixir.

It was a long time ago. But the question for the mechanics remained. Why can't we make elixir from Blueberries and Herbal Grind(blueberries+dandelion)? After all, the Herbal Grind has completely different properties, which do not coincide with the properties of the Blueberries included in its composition.
Slowwalker

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements