Game Development: Alchemical Adventures

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Alchemical Adventures

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:20 am

I think we should at least give them a chance ... it's only just been introduced and Jorb quite clearly says;

jorb wrote:Added Alchemy.

There is a lot that can be discussed, changed, added or thrown out here, but I think I'll defer further commentary until you've had a chance to toy around with this. It is by some necessity a tentative implementation.

I'm sure they fully intend to make adjustments and alterations on returning and reading the comments and the pm's they've been sent. I suspect in the meantime they thought it would be a fun thing for us to play around with and discover what works and what doesn't while they take a little break.

I agree atm that ofc it needs some amount of tweaking, getting extra wounds that aren't written on the tin, effects being unbalanced and too many random possibilities but, personally, I think once it's been revisited this has the potential to be a really fun and interesting addition.

I'd like to see potions being able to be added to drinks surreptitiously ..... "Wanna come over for a tankard of beer Jorb?" ..... :D

Also while I'm here ... Could we now pls have variable mats on jars? Would be handy for sorting purposes. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby jordancoles » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:13 am

Mashadar wrote:
Enjoyment_2 wrote:well, you can change your mind about alchemy when you understand the fact that devs have no idea in what could be created in fact.

Since devs have full information, they can simulate every possible combination of ingredients and generate a list of the most potent elixirs that can be created. This sort of simulation is generally how I make sure that a new game mechanic is at least somewhat balanced when it involves a fair amount of randomness, be it loot, cooking, alchemy or similar systems. I'd be surprised if loftar hadn't done something similar.

I wouldn't be surprised at all actually lol

Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:20 pm

I can just see jorb and loftar sitting in their armchairs going over the list of potential effects seeing "I bet the player's are going to go ape shit over this." "Definitely. Let's do it!" "LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!11"
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ardennesss » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:09 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit-
alpha btw, users are the play testers btw, no revives btw, pls buy a hat btw.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Mashadar wrote:
Enjoyment_2 wrote:well, you can change your mind about alchemy when you understand the fact that devs have no idea in what could be created in fact.

Since devs have full information, they can simulate every possible combination of ingredients and generate a list of the most potent elixirs that can be created. This sort of simulation is generally how I make sure that a new game mechanic is at least somewhat balanced when it involves a fair amount of randomness, be it loot, cooking, alchemy or similar systems. I'd be surprised if loftar hadn't done something similar. Even if game balance wasn't a factor to consider, I would have done it out of sheer curiosity of what the most powerful elixir would be.

Well, you should be surprised then.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby mvgulik » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:56 pm

Wow. Did not even have to feed the chickens ones during winter.
At least the Pre and Post snow patchwork period is shorter too. (should probably come with some epileptic warning)
mvgulik

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:14 am

Ardennesss wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit-
alpha btw, users are the play testers btw, no revives btw, pls buy a hat btw.

tbh maybe somebody should make a guide for all of the commonly known bug that frick up nabs a lot. Like, stacking wounds continuing to stack has been commonish knowledge since world 10.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby AtoB » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:51 am

Ardennesss wrote:

Negative effects being added to the 'classic' drinks (milk, beer, wine, tea) when?
AtoB

Postby Wunsz » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:01 am

i thought ALL effects of an elixir lasted 7.30 minutes, including the wounds - so now i am stuck with a rot gut which i don't know how to treat.

if you guys introduced new wounds then let's also have info on how to treat them - shouldn't it be written in the wound description how to get rid of it or if it will disappear of itself?
Wunsz

Postby jordancoles » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:57 pm

Wunsz wrote:i thought ALL effects of an elixir lasted 7.30 minutes, including the wounds - so now i am stuck with a rot gut which i don't know how to treat.

if you guys introduced new wounds then let's also have info on how to treat them - shouldn't it be written in the wound description how to get rid of it or if it will disappear of itself?

RIP

Can I have ur stuff
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements