Game Development: Through a Glass Darkly

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Through a Glass Darkly

Postby jorb » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:31 pm

I forgot to mention: We did buff the Potent Rod, Prism and Magnifying Glass. Updating OP.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:54 pm

jorb wrote:I forgot to mention: We did buff the Potent Rod, Prism and Magnifying Glass. Updating OP.

Prism was ok already for a low budget grind character, so thanks for the buff. Other two definitely needed buffs to even get them close to consideration. More passes on curio LP gains, please!! (edit: still not sure if these will be worth it with the changes to glass processing, but will look them over.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:59 pm

Curiosity buffs:

Prism base LP from 800 to 2000

Potent Rod study time from 22 hours to 11 hours

Don't have recipe for magnifying glass, I assume it requires glass panes. Prism requires molten glass, potent rod any. Neither requires specialized tools in addition to crucible.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby captainmorgan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:13 pm

TheRussianB wrote:
loftar wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:loftar already did that, there's a million posts about how all the custom clients are broken.

That should actually be fixed already, but I have to admit I never did see any posts about it, so I just kind of assumed that everyone had those resources cached and so didn't have trouble with them.

The cause was that I was rebuilding the internal environment to have the new client as the main one, but as part of the process I accidentally pointed the old resources to the new ones.

Glad it's fixed. Most of the posts about it were in The Wizards Tower since people identified it as a custom client issue. Here's an example of one (I was also getting this exception): viewtopic.php?f=49&t=69064

It's still broken.
captainmorgan

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:19 pm

captainmorgan wrote:It's still broken.

Hmm, it could be that the resource is cached for you and that's why it still doesn't work. I'm not immediately sure what to do about that. I would tell you to clear your cache, but it is somewhat unfortunate that the map data is kept in the same place... I'll have to think about that for a bit.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby captainmorgan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:18 pm

loftar wrote:

Hmm, it could be that the resource is cached for you and that's why it still doesn't work. I'm not immediately sure what to do about that. I would tell you to clear your cache, but it is somewhat unfortunate that the map data is kept in the same place... I'll have to think about that for a bit.

Replaced data folder with one provided by Vatas and problem solved
captainmorgan

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:26 pm

loftar wrote:

Any way we could make the "discovered" map information cached server side? That way if we lose our local install, we get our discovered maps (and pins!) back? If it needs replacing after data corruption or other loss, then it could be a low priority background process to update so as to keep server costs down if it's a problem.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby TheRussianB » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:56 pm

loftar wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a way to import map data if you've set your (amber) client to save tiles to disk?
TheRussianB

Postby loftar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:00 am

MagicManICT wrote:Any way we could make the "discovered" map information cached server side?

If a "discovered" flag were all that the server would store, then that would imply that it would be possible to arbitrarily fetch the latest map data, which I don't think is a particularly good idea.
TheRussianB wrote:Does anyone know if there's a way to import map data if you've set your (amber) client to save tiles to disk?

I've been thinking for some time that I should implement import/export of maps, so perhaps this should accelerate that project.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby TheRussianB » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:05 am

loftar wrote:
TheRussianB wrote:Does anyone know if there's a way to import map data if you've set your (amber) client to save tiles to disk?

I've been thinking for some time that I should implement import/export of maps, so perhaps this should accelerate that project.

That would be cool!
TheRussianB

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements