Game Development: Through a Glass Darkly

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Through a Glass Darkly

Postby captainmorgan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:08 am

loftar wrote:I've been thinking for some time that I should implement import/export of maps, so perhaps this should accelerate that project.

That would be very helpful, especially if it would handle our custom markers/flags and discovered quest givers, etc. Thanks!
captainmorgan

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:54 am

loftar wrote:I've been thinking for some time that I should implement import/export of maps, so perhaps this should accelerate that project.

if it's gonna take less than 6 months please do this
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Karede » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:17 am

I don't suppose there's any kind of compensation for deaths relating to that bug with elixir timers, is there? Posting battle-scar

Karede

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:08 am

loftar wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Any way we could make the "discovered" map information cached server side?

If a "discovered" flag were all that the server would store, then that would imply that it would be possible to arbitrarily fetch the latest map data, which I don't think is a particularly good idea.

I was thinking more along the lines of saving the data the player found, and not just getting the most recent version that sits on the server. That might run into drive space issues, though, and understand if that's bumping against the ceiling for storage limits. Still, if an import/export function is possible, that would at least give us a way to back up our map data. I more or less gave up on w11 when I lost my client installations after a drive failure. (There were like two, maybe 3 of us logging in every day, anyway, out of over a dozen that started the world, so that didn't really help, either.)

Just as long as it all includes the pins I make!!!
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Noid » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:23 am

Finally a new exciting system to make glass! Damn better watch out for server stress with all the returning players :lol:
Noid

Postby jorb » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:33 am

Noid wrote:Finally a new exciting system to make glass! Damn better watch out for server stress with all the returning players :lol:

I know! :D
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:19 am

Well, if they don't all come flooding back at the thought of quicksilver poisoning I'm sure the new hat will do the trick!

I can no longer make towers, guessing they need planes of glass now, *sigh* ... not a fan of having to draw everything out these days tbh, Lye takes a ridiculous amount of time and the return on quicksilver isn't great. Hopefully glass blowing will lead to some new decorative items ... ? :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby jorb » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:49 am

It is a pretty sweet hat, though.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Noid » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:07 am

jorb wrote:
Noid wrote:Finally a new exciting system to make glass! Damn better watch out for server stress with all the returning players :lol:

I know! :D

Yeah!!? That's the scary part I guess ¦]
Noid

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:08 am

jorb wrote:It is a pretty sweet hat, though.

The little cloud was a nice touch! :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements