Game Development: Through a Glass Darkly

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Through a Glass Darkly

Postby Schattengaenger » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:56 pm

jordancoles wrote:
jorb wrote:Generously, I don't think there is any risk of Quicksilver Poisoning when making Glass Panes. Should arguably be fixed.

As far as I know/recall, any time that you touch quicksilver you risk poisoning (like if you're transferring it between vessels such as a bucket/barrel/glass-pane-mold thing)

Maybe it would be a good idea to have protective gear at least lowering the risk of quicksilver poisoning. A bandit's mask Looks like it might help at least a Little with fumes.
Schattengaenger

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Mercury soaks in through the skin while you're handling it. Heavy leather gloves might help. It's been a while since I've read up on uses in alchemical and chemical processes through history, but I don't think it was seen as a serious threat until just a couple hundred years ago (and even then, not enough of a one to eliminate it from daily use until about 75 years ago).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:24 pm

I recalled someone dying from handling mercury with protective gloves but that was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury

I think the primary way people like "Mad hatters" got exposed to mercury was by fumes. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... definition
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:42 pm

vatas wrote:I think the primary way people like "Mad hatters" got exposed to mercury was by fumes

That's what I've always understood, too, but even without that, they handled so much of it that it wouldn't have mattered if they had breathing protection. Then again, I read that at one point, mercury was used to treat certain bowel issues, and one member of the early Royal Academy used to do experiments by ingesting surprisingly large quantities of mercury.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:14 pm

https://io9.gizmodo.com/archaeologists- ... 1727887223 mercury-based laxative still remaining in places that they camped in over 200 years ago.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby jordancoles » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 am

jorb wrote:I mean... I work from the document all the time. Anything in particular you'd like to see?

It would be nice if you could mark the notepad additions as such in the patch notes so that we could see some of the community's ideas being implemented each week. From the outside, these development topics feel pretty random and disjointed, as if you're pulling it out of nowhere when nobody asked for it.

I personally would be more invested in the game's development and progress if I knew that my suggestions might be heard/implemented the following week, and I assume it's the same for most other people reading these forums as well.
(I know that community suggests get added all the time, but it would be nice to see them clearly laid out each week)

Edit: Also please just add some more house types god damnit :x A few years ago you said you didn't want to spend 5 hours making a new house when modular housing is something you would like to pursue in the future, but at the current pace modular housing is likely half a decade away behind OCO and the rendering update, so can we please just get some new stuff :idea:

Ty :geek:
Last edited by jordancoles on Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Slowwalker » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:46 am

Should we expect the Alchemistr's creed? Anything that will reduce negative effects, or see one "strongest" component effect, for example? Or maybe reduce the chance of mercury poisoning.
I think "drink 5 potions" quests should be quite fun in the current mechanics. :D

And what about the Glassblower's creed, which will allow you to get extra thin glass for special alchemical treatments?
Slowwalker

Postby vatas » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:00 am

Patch topics often used to have a link to a forum thread that suggested the addition. It's less convenient to mention if the implemented idea came from text document with no sources included.

vatas

Postby ctopolon4 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:32 am

glassmaking are enough complicated process now for include it into global Q spiral.
fix harmless PvE (abused animals AI)
floating Q spots(for not visit high Q node everyday) ((bones))
let us build charter stones everywhere without alt's spammed villages
how about add exp cost to collecting rare resources via alts
or questgivers could provide rare resouces to us (fuck that +1 taproot Q)
let us summon alts from offline to get their stuff and kill offline lawspeakers
involve sidesoft into off.client to make it compare (make players not depended from 3rd side dev's) (map trade usability)

P.S.ability to remove quicksilver from glass frame

#HYPE
ctopolon4

Postby Noid » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:45 pm

I'm not sure what this game needs is a new type of house but it would definitely be nice to add more content for the end game.
More dungeons? More random shit that can't be predicted, botted and camped by the same group of players? Time to fix winter?
Noid

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements