Game Development: Beehive Fields Forever

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Beehive Fields Forever

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:12 pm

jordancoles wrote:It's unfortunate because it seems like that will always be an issue in that case while running around foraging in the wilderness or checking out bases (or when starting the client to play the game in the morning). So unless you run around your entire base to render the area and then keep the client open you figure we will always have the rubberbanding/fps drops?

Well, I mean, it depends. Like I said, it should only be on first loads, and only really of some things (and the wilderness, I think, should generally be light enough to not cause such issues pretty much at all except on initial client startup). If the issues are more of a continual nature, then there should probably be ways to fix it.

One general tip with regards to inherent Java problems, though, is to use Java 11 or above, since it uses a new garbage collector which is fairly superior to the one used in Java 8 with regards to stutters. Though I'm also aware that there is some Java upgrade in that direction (Java 13, perhaps; not sure) that currently breaks to version of JOGL that I use. I believe there should be a new release of JOGL soon that is supposed to fix that.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby captainmorgan » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:27 pm

Thank you!
captainmorgan

Postby TheRussianB » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:37 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Added Import/Export functions to the client side maps. You may now import and export your local maps to file, to transfer them to another computer, or the like. We will probably be adding more functionality to this interface to be more specific about how to handle selective imports/merging, &c. Importing a map currently merges it with your existing map, but do note that the import feature may contain bugs, so it is wise to keep a backup before importing.[/list]

God bless, thank you.
TheRussianB

Postby jordancoles » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:47 pm

loftar wrote:
jordancoles wrote:It's unfortunate because it seems like that will always be an issue in that case while running around foraging in the wilderness or checking out bases (or when starting the client to play the game in the morning). So unless you run around your entire base to render the area and then keep the client open you figure we will always have the rubberbanding/fps drops?

Well, I mean, it depends. Like I said, it should only be on first loads, and only really of some things (and the wilderness, I think, should generally be light enough to not cause such issues pretty much at all except on initial client startup). If the issues are more of a continual nature, then there should probably be ways to fix it.

One general tip with regards to inherent Java problems, though, is to use Java 11 or above, since it uses a new garbage collector which is fairly superior to the one used in Java 8 with regards to stutters. Though I'm also aware that there is some Java upgrade in that direction (Java 13, perhaps; not sure) that currently breaks to version of JOGL that I use. I believe there should be a new release of JOGL soon that is supposed to fix that.

I am actually running Java 8, I'll upgrade to 11 and see how that goes

Edit: seems to be about the same, if not a little bit worse with JDK 11. Disabling the animations on the animals and the visitor gate flags helped a decent amount, but it is ugly for videos and whatnot
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Mashadar » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:50 am

I'm really impressed with the performance, I now get a smooth 50-60 fps with ~1000 animals on screen, even at 4.0x render scale.
When I tried it about a month ago or so, it was less than 5 fps with constant freezes. Custom clients with disabled animations manage about 10 fps, for comparison.

This will be a nice step forward for large villages.
Mashadar

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:10 am

jorb wrote:If not, get with the times?

Ikr? default client could literally use all of these custom client features already
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby ctopolon4 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:37 am

alchemy almost discovered by some people, except herbal grind (60*59 new ingredients) and calcination (random, not stable)
its easy to heal whatever you need (just need to know order of properties of ingridients and how lye, brimstone & distilation works) (ABCD, -A, -B, 1ABCD+2ABCD=1A2A)
but sometimes it transforms wounds (into nerve damage, allergic reaction) instead of heal it. kinda not predictable, weird but OK.
it will kinda expensive to heal 30 small wounds via elixirs (if you have to use 1 potion for 1 wound) (quicksilver poisoning)
ctopolon4

Postby azrid » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:22 pm

Great to see loftars long work finally pay off.
azrid

Postby vatas » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:43 pm

Cloak bug still happens when you sit on Long Bench or Fine Sofa (most likely with Cushioned Bench too) but unless you can fix that in 5 minutes, I wouldn't invest any more time on supporting old rendering.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby shubla » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:45 pm

yes!
the client can finally render more beehives than the game has players!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements