Game Development: Beehive Fields Forever

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Beehive Fields Forever

Postby jordancoles » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:52 pm

loftar wrote:
Fostik wrote:After almost month of long alchemy discovery, when people at least found some few useful recipes, you decided to nerf it, 10/10.

I mean, the stuff we nerfed was mainly stuff that was pretty universally agreed to be broken.

So, you mean, the stuff that had actual value and didn't just kill you in your sleep?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby jorb » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:52 pm

Fostik wrote:After almost month of long alchemy discovery, when people at least found some few useful recipes, you decided to nerf it, 10/10.

Will fix things after 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, or 1 year, if I think it's broken. No other way to do it, really.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:53 pm

jordancoles wrote:So, you mean, the stuff that had actual value and didn't just kill you in your sleep?

More like the stuff that allowed you to eat unlimited amounts of pepper, and the like.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby not_a_cat » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:55 pm

Rough Cut bald spot. Just a minor model issue (completely unreleated to GPU-skinning rework)
roughcut_model_bleeding.jpg
roughcut_model_bleeding.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 569 times
not_a_cat

Postby jordancoles » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:59 pm

The performance is noticeably better than the last time I played, so that's cool.

I'm running around the village and fps drops from 59 to 57ish. I'm pretty impressed actually.

Edit: Ok, a new chunk of area loaded and it dipped to 41 but jumped back up immediately. It did however dip down to 21 when loading in the livestock and is now idling around 37-40 near the sheep.

My camera still rubber bands/stutters when running across big chunks of land and I get some mini lags here and there, which ideally could be fixed at some point because the game has always been like this and it's pretty jarring coming back after playing other games that aren't like this.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Fostik » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:04 pm

loftar wrote:I mean, the stuff we nerfed was mainly stuff that was pretty universally agreed to be broken.

I mean, this mechanic was pretty raw, extremely random and punishing, and after all, when it started to do some profit, you immediately fixed healing effect which were absolutely obviously for you when you developed it.
People payed cooperation, time, wounds, and some even lost characters due to this mechanics, but when the time to receive benefits has come, you removed it almost completely.

Next time, please consider rebalance rather than just nerf.

jorb wrote:Will fix things after 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, or 1 year, if I think it's broken. No other way to do it, really.

Just a kindly reminder that there are a lot of people in playerbase who will gladly help you to test mechanics or discuss game balance.
Last edited by Fostik on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:05 pm

jordancoles wrote:Edit: Ok, a new chunk of area loaded and it dipped to 41 but jumped back up immediately. It did however dip down to 21 when loading in the livestock and is now idling around 37-40 near the sheep.

Sometimes, some of those issues are due to Java compilations happening the first time some specific things are loaded (and thus don't cause the same problem on subsequent loads as long as the client hasn't been closed in the meantime). If those are the kinds of stutters you're seeing, I'm not really sure it can be feasibly fixed without rewriting the client in some other language entirely. I'm continually looking into new optimization opportunities, though.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jorb » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:06 pm

Fostik wrote:Next time, please consider rebalance rather than just nerf.

What, in this case, would/should be the difference?

Also, the recipes you found still work.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jordancoles » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 pm

loftar wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Edit: Ok, a new chunk of area loaded and it dipped to 41 but jumped back up immediately. It did however dip down to 21 when loading in the livestock and is now idling around 37-40 near the sheep.

Sometimes, some of those issues are due to Java compilations happening the first time some specific things are loaded (and thus don't cause the same problem on subsequent loads as long as the client hasn't been closed in the meantime). If those are the kinds of stutters you're seeing, I'm not really sure it can be feasibly fixed without rewriting the client in some other language entirely. I'm continually looking into new optimization opportunities, though.

It's unfortunate because it seems like that will always be an issue in that case while running around foraging in the wilderness or checking out bases (or when starting the client to play the game in the morning). So unless you run around your entire base to render the area and then keep the client open you figure we will always have the rubberbanding/fps drops?

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:12 pm

Fostik wrote:Just a kindly reminder that there are a lot of people in playerbase

Zentetsuken

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements