Game Development: Circle the Wagon

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Circle the Wagon

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:04 pm

Added "Encamp":ment option to Wagons. Wagons may now be Encamped, and, when they are, require Siege Engines to destroy. When Encamped, any draft animal pulling the wagon will be hidden inside the Encampment, and protected. There is a slight additional exclusion area around Encamped wagons which prevents building, to prevent Wagon walls, and the like.

does this mean you can't build another encampment too close, or you can't build anything (including Siege Engines)?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:07 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:does this mean you can't build another encampment too close, or you can't build anything (including Siege Engines)?

Anything, indeed, but I can't help but wonder if walls wouldn't be a lot cheaper if you're just planning to try create a siege-engine exclusion zone. Mind you, siege engines can roll through encampments once they're built.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:13 pm

I mean how I can destroy this thing if it prevents the building of siege engines around it?
is it ram only?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:16 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:I mean how I can destroy this thing if it prevents the building of siege engines around it?
is it ram only?

Not sure what you mean. The exclusion zone isn't so large that you can't just build a ram and roll it right up to it (it corresponds to the area of the spikes in the OP picture). Likewise, it only prevents buliding (and other encampments), so there's no problem with assembling a wrecking ball right next to it. And catapults obviously wouldn't have either problem.

The main purpose of the exclusion zone is just so that you can't block people with wagons.
loftar

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:22 pm

loftar wrote:The exclusion zone isn't so large so there's no problem with assembling a wrecking ball right next to it.

that's exactly what I was looking to know, thx
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby TheRussianB » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:31 pm

loftar wrote:If you're referring to the previous problem of cached resources, you'll need to clear your cache to make them work again. Just make sure to export your map before doing so, since the cache directory includes all map data. If you're referring to something else, you'll have to enlighten me

My current issue with this is that my custom client map data seems to be stored in a different spot in the cache due to Amber client using HTTPS, so when I open the default client I don't see all of my map data. I can't pass a custom URL argument to the autohaven.jar launcher, so I tried to build the client from source but kept getting an exception every time I tried to login. Would you happen to have any suggestions for what I could try?
TheRussianB

Postby iamahh » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:37 pm

how do you activate the encampment?
iamahh

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 pm

iamahh wrote:how do you activate the encampment?

You right-click the wagon and choose "encamp", but as the OP stated, you can only do so on wagons that you've installed a lock on.
loftar

Postby iamahh » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 pm

oops, thanks Loftar, will do that
iamahh

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:43 pm

TheRussianB wrote:My current issue with this is that my custom client map data seems to be stored in a different spot in the cache due to Amber client using HTTPS, so when I open the default client I don't see all of my map data. I can't pass a custom URL argument to the autohaven.jar launcher, so I tried to build the client from source but kept getting an exception every time I tried to login. Would you happen to have any suggestions for what I could try?

I responded in the thread you made on the subject.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements