Game Development: Pigeon Rock

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Pigeon Rock

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:24 am

So we're going to get another dozen birds while you guys are working on the objects, thing? Sounds good to me. Throw a couple of ground critters or fish in there as well.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby pawnchito » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:42 am

hi. not sure if intentional but i just busted someones pallisades with my hands and it literally cascaded over 60 tiles. like no joke. 60+ tiles. bit much or i just hit the rng pinata?
pawnchito

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:57 am

Agrik wrote:AFAIK this isn't how pigeon post works.

How dare you tell me I'm wrong about pigeons. A Kamikaze strike pigeon is en route to your home as we speak.

That's actually cool too though. Combine that with the other guy suggesting they could carry small items. Give a bunch of your pigeons to a base you want shit from regularily.

I like the idea of them flying like normal birds, so you can grab someone else's pigeon out of midair, no scent
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby VDZ » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:56 am

loftar wrote:
MrBunzy wrote:Can you carry animals KO'd on claims where you do not have rights? Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of having animals get KO'd instead of die?

To some extent perhaps, but not fatally so, I think. It would at least be a ton more work to totally get rid of a non-tiny number of animals than there would be if you could just slaughter them.

loftar wrote:It would at least be a ton more work

You mean a ton more botting? The time expenditure might discourage players, but at that level of play tedium is rarely a deterrent for optimal play.
VDZ

Postby delsus » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:02 am

Thank you for the patch, I love birbs! Please, more birbs! (And add eggs as slingshot ammunition, please :D )
delsus

Postby Valkir » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:46 pm

pawnchito wrote:hi. not sure if intentional but i just busted someones pallisades with my hands and it literally cascaded over 60 tiles. like no joke. 60+ tiles. bit much or i just hit the rng pinata?

I also busted a palisade around a log cabin, went in through a wall it destroyed all 4 sides of the palisade and then went 40+ tiles down the main outer wall.
You would think that a corner post would stop some of this cascade.
Valkir

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:54 pm

I got a 117 tile cascade with a ram and a low strength char.
Not sure if it's a bug, but I kinda like it, tbh
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby LadyCricket » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:53 pm

Apocoreo wrote:OOO in the future could we get messenger pigeons? If raised in a coup, you can right click and set how many tiles they will fly, then release them in that direction. With a string and parchment you can tie a messenger to their legs.

Idea: it would be kind of redundant to use messenger pigeons to send messages since this game already has a chat function. However, messenger pigeons would still be really cool and useful to send items to other players.

let's say messenger pigeons have a small inventory, maybe 2x2. place items you want to send in the bird's inventory, then select a player from your kin list and the bird will fly to that player and let them access their inventory. If the player is outside, the pigeon flies right to them and perches on their shoulder until they take what the bird is carrying. if the player is in a building or cave, the pigeon will perch outside the entrance until they leave and then perch on their shoulder. if the player is in a dungeon, the pigeon can't find them and comes back to the sender (or just perches outside). If the player is logged out, maybe the pigeon should wait in the coop until they log back on, then fly out to them.

I see this as having a lot of application for gift giving and trade, especially for players that live in villages or do a lot of trade. Is one of your friends asking for a specific item, but they live far enough away to discourage you from riding out to them? Have the pigeon bring them the item. Have a market alt that you want to send some money to? Have the pigeon bring it to them. Did one of your villagers ride out far away and get seriously hurt in a fight? Use the pigeon to send them some medicine.

Is this realistic to how messenger pigeons work IRL? No, but this is a game where questgivers are all talking trees, so I think it's the right level of realism vs. fantasy. I'm a fan of this idea for the gameplay implications. Admittedly this sounds really OP, but there could be limitations. For example, I also think it should be possible to intercept a pigeon that's flying out to someone. When you catch or kill a messenger pigeon, you get the pigeon as well as whatever it was carrying. So it's possible for players to steal things that were meant for someone else, but it's pretty much impossible to know when someone else is sending a messenger pigeon unless they tell you or something, so your chances of being able to intercept a specific gift being sent to a specific person are pretty low. Taking things out of a messenger pigeon's inventory that weren't meant for you should leave a scent of theft, and killing someone else's messenger pigeon should leave a scent of vandalism.

I feel like there's an interesting risk/reward factor to using pigeons to send things to people if there's a narrow possibility they could be stolen along the way. It might make you have to consider what kind of items you're willing to send out by pigeon. Also, for realism factor/keeping this from being too overpowered, you could put limits on what kinds of things messenger pigeons can carry. No metal ingots, perhaps.
LadyCricket

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:07 pm

LadyCricket wrote:snip

While we have these big public markets for large scale trade, this could be useful for small scale stuff. Stuff like regular trades between friendly settlements, regardless of distance. While initially it seems safer to send pigeons from behind your walls, often trade is done with alts holding the goods. Spawn a new alt is you lose it. Pigeons would be more convenient time wise at the cost of breeding and housing them. The exception is long distance trading, where you must risk and seafaring ship. Pigeons could be given a set range for this purpose, perhaps inspiring close allies to construct mutual pigeon waystations halfway between each other.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby GamingRAM » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:05 pm

loftar wrote:
Apocoreo wrote:OOO in the future could we get messenger pigeons? If raised in a coup, you can right click and set how many tiles they will fly, then release them in that direction. With a string and parchment you can tie a messenger to their legs.

Not that I'd necessarily be opposed, but I do wonder how useful it would actually be. You know, like, as compared to just PM'ing someone out of game.

While things like Discord exist, MMOs are about the multiplayer, and more ways of enhancing are generally a good thing. Not everyone has Discord or knows the other's name. Sometimes folks like to separate their identities as well.
You could have things like, have merchants message others about an in-game sale or deal or something that's going. I'd think it'd be more socially acceptable for this kind of spam in-game compared to spamming on Discord.

Also it enhances the "immersion" to have an in-game mailing system.
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements