Game Development: Pigeon Rock

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Pigeon Rock

Postby Apocoreo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:35 pm

OOO in the future could we get messenger pigeons? If raised in a coup, you can right click and set how many tiles they will fly, then release them in that direction. With a string and parchment you can tie a messenger to their legs.

EDIT: also make them shit on carts and wagons
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby iamahh » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:31 pm

maybe messenger birds, maybe we'll build a generic coop for collecting birds, or bird dungeon, late world is best world for crazy updates
iamahh

Postby talon00302 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:44 pm

Wew lad, haven will have a better postal service than the US. Now you can send a message saying “get fukt retard” after you raid someone. Just send your lowest quality pigeon because you ain’t getting it back.
talon00302

Postby loftar » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:10 pm

Apocoreo wrote:OOO in the future could we get messenger pigeons? If raised in a coup, you can right click and set how many tiles they will fly, then release them in that direction. With a string and parchment you can tie a messenger to their legs.

Not that I'd necessarily be opposed, but I do wonder how useful it would actually be. You know, like, as compared to just PM'ing someone out of game.

Apocoreo wrote:EDIT: also make them shit on carts and wagons

Lol. Will consider. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby MrBunzy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:06 am

jorb wrote:
  • You may now carry knocked out animals, fixing problems with them being used to block stuff.

Can you carry animals KO'd on claims where you do not have rights? Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of having animals get KO'd instead of die? Maybe the solution is to just let animals die instead of having 3 lives.

Also In the context of siege, letting us move KO'd horses is a pretty strong buff to archery, as domestic animals were one of the few strategies to prevent defenders from firing at you from the safety of their gates. You should totally nerf archery some more to make it fair haha
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Postby loftar » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:05 am

MrBunzy wrote:Can you carry animals KO'd on claims where you do not have rights? Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of having animals get KO'd instead of die?

To some extent perhaps, but not fatally so, I think. It would at least be a ton more work to totally get rid of a non-tiny number of animals than there would be if you could just slaughter them.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby elmapa » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:20 am

An update of several languages ​​including Spanish, for when?
elmapa

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:01 am

loftar wrote:Not that I'd necessarily be opposed, but I do wonder how useful it would actually be. You know, like, as compared to just PM'ing someone out of game.

Absolutely less useful, to be fair. and if you don't know them you can leave a rune stone, now that I think of it. Think of it as a ranged, distance runestone. Maybe send messages as ads for local services? Pigeons could chirp if you get close, and have a market ad tied to their legs.

Still, needs more uses.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby valeriesusanne » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:20 am

As per messaging - I was thinking maybe you could mark the coops in such a way as to be able to send a pigeon with a message (on parchment) to a given coop (assuming there is a slot available). It could be like an in-game mailbox. Personally, I rarely think to check my pm's (nobody pm's me) but I'm always wishing I could leave a message for a fellow player who is off line. I usually just travel to their "house" and leave a message in a basket by their door, and I've had other players do this for me. Carrier pigeons would be way cool!
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Postby Agrik » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:50 am

Apocoreo wrote:OOO in the future could we get messenger pigeons? If raised in a coup, you can right click and set how many tiles they will fly, then release them in that direction. With a string and parchment you can tie a messenger to their legs.
AFAIK this isn't how pigeon post works.
Pigeons were effective as messengers due to their natural homing abilities. The pigeons were transported to a destination in cages, where they would be attached with messages, then the pigeon would naturally fly back to its home where the recipient could read the message.
Agrik

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements