Game Development: UI Scaling

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: UI Scaling

Postby mvgulik » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:50 am

jorb wrote:Fundamentally/Personally: I don't think/feel there's any legitimate reason to turn off graphics, draw bounding boxes, or movement vectors. I understand perfectly why you would, but I personally think it's wrong, and its not how I think the game should be played.

I think my the general paradigm/decision of providing a lean and aesthetic default client, with open source code, is fundamentally a pretty good compromise between what I want the game to be, without having to worry about how you want to play it. There's not much difference in principle/my view from using an aimbot or a visibility hack in a shooter.

If ... <snip> ... whatever.
mvgulik

Postby Amanda44 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:08 am

Firstly, I just want to say, I'm glad you guys are having this discussion/debate here rather than on discord, I feel like I miss out quite a bit these days in regard to issues with the game/mechanics by refusing to use any form of social media/chat platforms (bar my one exception, steam) and it's a shame when the forum is right here and basically ignored for the most part! So, thanks, it's interesting to hear everyones viewpoint and devs responses to them. :)

Secondly, I'm basically of the same opinion as Jordan. I agree that bounding boxes, grid lines and hiding stuff is ugly but there are times it's necessary. I think the majority just use them when needed, I wouldn't play with any of these things constantly active but having them makes life a lot easier in certain situations. I'm not a 'powerplayer' so I'm coming from a slightly different perspective I suspect, but, as Bunzy says, having these features enable us to have neat and organized layouts which in the long run make for less ugliness.

With regard to the camera options, I only play with badcam unless searching for new quest givers, ortho is both restrictive and awkward and I find it way too frustrating and unpleasant to play that way for any length of time.

The changes you did make to the default client were great, esp adding the quality of items, but imho you need to go just a bit further if you want ppl to use it over the custom clients. The population always drops drastically when the clients get broken, the only reason it picked up quickly this time was because ElSid gave a fix for Amber but if you look at the last time Amber was broken the population dropped dramatically for almost a week! You guys know this, which is why you made the changes to default.

I would not play if I didn't have any option other than default as it stands atm and I love haven, it's been my main game for ten years now and I would hate to give it up completely but it's true what shubla says, we have been 'spoilt', we are all used to playing with less frustration and considerably more ease with the custom clients and going backwards is not a viable option in terms of enjoyment of the game.

I kinda think you guys are shooting yourselves in the foot over the last couple of years if I'm honest with a lot of the changes you have made to combat bots which then ultimately slows down the game and adds further tedium for all, add to that the possibility of the end of public custom clients and you are seriously not going to have a playerbase left at all.
Saying that though, as I've said to you before, I do feel for you, trying to balance the game and please everyone is an impossible task ... good luck!
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby DPblH » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 am

jorb wrote:Adventure->Toggles->Display Quality on Items

This is the most unintuitive and ugliest way. Why not to put such things to options?
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby WowGain » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:34 pm

jorb wrote:
Forik wrote:
jorb wrote: Default client has had this feature for quite some time.

Can't find it anywhere on the render client, is it still a feature?

Adventure->Toggles->Display Quality on Items

honestly no idea why that's the place you put it- seeing as i would assume anything inside of toggles is exclusively related to gameplay settings (ie swimming, crimes, etc)

slightly off-topic from quality display but related to visibility and ease of finding features, how about the menu search and crafting/building history from Amber?
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby DPblH » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Menu search is also implemented in vanilla. But I forgot shortcut for it.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby WowGain » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm

DPblH wrote:Menu search is also implemented in vanilla. But I forgot shortcut for it.

really???
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:18 pm

DPblH wrote:

This is the most unintuitive and ugliest way. Why not to put such things to options?

Well, maybe the problem in you? It's pretty obvious, that feature works as an on/off toggle, so it is located in the toggle, isn't it?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby iamahh » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:24 pm

cheaper solution is old MMO expandable slotbar, then allow to add toggles to it
iamahh

Postby Forik » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Holy crap thanks a ton jorb! That makes it so much better!
Forik

Postby Apocoreo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Imagine not having a "build mode" in your video game about building, for when you need precision.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements