Game Development: Map Rework

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Map Rework

Postby mvgulik » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:54 am

Seems to me the discussion is going backwards.

loftar wrote:
DPblH wrote:Speaking of improvements: why do we have menu option "Pick" for herbs? All custom clients anyway implements their own autopicking functionality. Just remove "Pick" option from herbs, there is anyway only one action for them.

Well, the reason is that I've tried to somewhat consistently apply the principle that non-reversible actions should have a flower-menu "confirmation" to them. I get that you can argue that the action of picking an herb isn't exactly of great consequence, but that's the reason.

So ... why not have a user-option to not show that particular flower menu, but just to pick forageables when clicked(rmb) ?
If its defaulting is off, your principle should still hold true.
mvgulik

Postby dafels » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:51 pm

loftar wrote:
dafels wrote:Less clicks to do something = better from the player perspective. That is the absolute truth that you can't bend, but only to encourage.

If that were the absolute, unbendable and simple truth, we wouldn't have had requests to put a confirmation dialog in the way of declaiming claims. Just saying.

You completely missed the point
dafels

Postby DPblH » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:03 pm

loftar wrote:
dafels wrote:Less clicks to do something = better from the player perspective. That is the absolute truth that you can't bend, but only to encourage.

If that were the absolute, unbendable and simple truth, we wouldn't have had requests to put a confirmation dialog in the way of declaiming claims. Just saying.

Add confirmation dialog to open cupboards then.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:03 am

My friends... it is time. Inkweed 2021. :x
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby fox » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:22 pm

Nice update :3 :D
Here will be my post number 1 in this epic tread, as hello to those who know why. :oops:
fox

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:43 am

Audiosmurf wrote:My friends... it is time. Inkweed 2021. :x

I just want the party hat back. Enough reason to add it right there. :D
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:46 pm

DPblH wrote:
loftar wrote:

Add confirmation dialog to open cupboards then.

kek

For mass tasks, dafels is dead on. For one click things with massive consequences, we like confirmation.

If you want an actual exception, dropping items. On Amber's I have an option turned on that makes it so you drop items with ctrl + left click. This prevents missclicks leading to dropped items and frustration, especially important over water. Still one click, but with confirmation.

Also it's kind of telling how I was reminded of this. Been still playing on Amber's despite it crashing you wear cosmetics. Booted up default to smoke and eat and dropped something. Amber's is still easier, but you're getting to the point where default is more worth playing for the casual player for the stability. Keep at it!
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Previous

Return to Announcements