Game Development: Map Rework

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Map Rework

Postby vatas » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:55 pm

DPblH wrote:Speaking of improvements: why do we have menu option "Pick" for herbs? All custom clients anyway implements their own autopicking functionality. Just remove "Pick" option from herbs, there is anyway only one action for them.

I'm not objecting to this, but you can use your other hand to press "1" to select the "pick" option.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Thaydi » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:33 pm

vatas wrote:
DPblH wrote:Speaking of improvements: why do we have menu option "Pick" for herbs? All custom clients anyway implements their own autopicking functionality. Just remove "Pick" option from herbs, there is anyway only one action for them.

I'm not objecting to this, but you can use your other hand to press "1" to select the "pick" option.

Accessibility when? QoL improvements consists of removing redundant or useless tasks, such as this one!
World 10 - Founder and Duke of the Duchy of Rattenschloß
World 9 - Founder of Meadhaus County
Thaydi

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:"do I like that devs are working on that particular change instead of something else? Was it the most critical issue?"

Yeah I'm pretty satisfied. Having two maps with functionality split between added to the "alpha" vibe of the default client. A cleaner experience makes it easier to retain new players. While other changes could accomplish that better, in the last thread maps were thoroughly discussed. This lead to a clear communication of mutual desires between the player and devs, therefore an easy update to please everyone.

Now's the perfect time to suggest specifics to J&L and discuss it directly with them, if you want lightening to strike twice. Although tbh I wouldn't mind seeing where their whims take them next patch.

Here's a thought, if adding custom features to default is what's happening now, and thinking about what I personally want, how about that "Build Mode" discussed in the previous thread? How would people (including players and devs) feel about a small compromise? We could add the gridlines, bounding boxes, hiding objects, and turning off lighting/darkness effects, but have them all bound to a single feature/keystroke. So basically either you're larping with vanilla graphics, or when you're doing precision building or serious pvp you go full powergamer mode and temporarily turn the game ugly as sin.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:04 pm

Apocoreo wrote:Now's the perfect time to suggest specifics to J&L and discuss it directly with them

that's the problem - let's fuck all that work done by hundreds of players to accomplish "my idea is on jorb's todo-list" and just lay the development on "someone said random shit in the right moment". seems like another proof we don't need C&I sub-forum at all
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:16 pm

It was a long conversation with multiple players expressing similar desires, rather than players debating over ideas like C&I or one player making a client, which is a whole different development can of worms. Not only that but it caught the attention and interest of the devs. I don't see why they wouldn't prioritize that, given the circumstances.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby loftar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:26 pm

Well, the reason is that I've tried to somewhat consistently apply the principle that non-reversible actions should have a flower-menu "confirmation" to them. I get that you can argue that the action of picking an herb isn't exactly of great consequence, but that's the reason.

Clemence wrote:i know taht if i open the big map, i lag a lot, would i lag now if i open my mini map?

I've never noticed the map window causing any significant (or hardly even any measurable) performance hit. Just for the record, is it on the default client that you're seeing this? Even with it covering my whole screen, the most I can measure is 0.51 ms of extra frame-time.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:48 pm

I think it is nice to differentiate between just taking normal objects dropped in the ground and PICKING herbs.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby iamahh » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:13 am

since update I can only move if I click on map or minimap

clicking on the ground will only work for a few secs then stops (default client)
iamahh

Postby loftar » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:23 am

iamahh wrote:since update I can only move if I click on map or minimap

clicking on the ground will only work for a few secs then stops (default client)

When that happens, it would help a lot if you could turn on click-debugging with the :clickdb on console command and do a click somewhere. That will produce three PNG files, click1.png through click3.png in your home directory; supplying those files, along with the information it produced in the "system log" chat, would greatly help debugging that issue.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby dafels » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:40 am

loftar wrote:

Well, the reason is that I've tried to somewhat consistently apply the principle that non-reversible actions should have a flower-menu "confirmation" to them. I get that you can argue that the action of picking an herb isn't exactly of great consequence, but that's the reason.

Well, the player that actually has to do the clicking doesn't really care about the underlying principles. Less clicks to do something = better from the player perspective. That is the absolute truth that you can't bend, but only to encourage.

Anyways, nice to see the default client, the best client getting updates finally.
dafels

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements