Game Development: Off Grid

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Off Grid

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:07 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added player indicators to the minimap. The icons still need some work, but, in principle, there are two icon types, one indicating self and party members, and another indicating other players.
  • Added the ability to show a tile grid overlay to the client. It has no graphical button, but rather is set by default to keyboard Ctrl-G, which can be changed in the keyboard settings menu.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Redrew the Character Sheet buttons in 4x size to support higher UI resolutions.
  • We're planning on adding separate equipment slots for Mouth and Eyes, to support the all important "monocle, cigar, and amulet"-look. For that purpose, we have updated the "old" branch of the client git repository with stuff that customs will need to merge, on pain of crashing when we do make that change.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Shift-Clicking an herb will now pick it, without the intermediary step of a flower menu, and the character will then continue to pick all other herbs of the same type.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Items, for the fair price of $9 is the "The Graveyard Shift"

Store Description wrote:Image$9 A hat for late hours, for excursions by mist and moonlight, and for burying cold bones in shallow graves.

All Gold & Silver subscribers have been awarded "The Graveyard Shift", free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • Again urging any custom client maker who wishes to stay relevant to get with the new rendering times. Support for the old resources will be dropped at some point.
  • An update to the server-client protocol is the next project in the pipe. It is a relatively limited scope project to allow for better definitions of objects in relation to other objects (E.g. bubbling retort standing on lit tripod burner with variable materials, standing on an Alchemist's table. That kind of stuff). One upside is that it could allow us to add variable materials to tools and equipment. This is necessary for the next project after, namely Object Controlled Objects, which we consider the next major milestone in development.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?
  • Time to... follow us on Twitter?

UPDATE YOUR CLIENTS... might be a good idea if you want these changes.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Off Grid

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:08 pm

Bounding boxes when?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:10 pm

Legendary omg keep it up
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby talon00302 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Drop support for the old client now while no one is playing.
talon00302

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Why have you exactly started to improve the default client?
For long time you always said that there is no point in it because custom clients will always contain features that people want which will not be in default clients etc.etc.
So is there some reason for this change of policy?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Kirche » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:12 pm

shubla wrote:Why have you exactly started to improve the default client?
For long time you always said that there is no point in it because custom clients will always contain features that people want which will not be in default clients etc.etc.

I wonder if the constant feedback in the past 4 announcement threads towards improving the client has anything to do with it
Kirche

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:14 pm

shubla wrote:Why have you exactly started to improve the default client?

The intention has never been that there's no need to improve the default client, that has just been a general observation that custom clients will always have everything that vanilla has, plus more. The reason we've focused on it lately is really just because there's been a lot of talk about it lately, for various reasons.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby strpk0 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:15 pm

You guys are killing it, keep up the great work.

(Bounding/collision boxes for objects would be nice ;) )
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby DPblH » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:18 pm

Last time I'd played vanilla client there still was camera fixed to a four directions. Is this still a thing? Would it be fixed?
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby strpk0 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:19 pm

DPblH wrote:Last time I'd played vanilla client there still was camera fixed to a four directions. Is this still a thing? Would it be fixed?

You can type the ":cam bad" command to get bad cam, even in default.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Next

Return to Announcements