Game Development: Off Grid

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Off Grid

Postby vatas » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:19 pm

Not complaining, but I thought that grid and player markers were something that was against your design philosophy?

Did you change your mind?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Thaydi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:23 pm

Sweet! I think these basic features of the custom clients are really great additions to the official client! They make the game better for everyone.

Keep it up, guys!
World 10 - Founder and Duke of the Duchy of Rattenschloß
World 9 - Founder of Meadhaus County
Thaydi

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:24 pm

vatas wrote:Not complaining, but I thought that grid and player markers were something that was against your design philosophy?

Player markers on the minimap isn't something I've ever had anything against, I've just delayed with implementing it because it needed special drawing modes and icon flags for rotation and various other bits and pieces of complexity that have diverted my attention towards other things instead.

The grid is perhaps a bit more controversial, but most of what I have against it is really just people playing with it on all day erry day and it being present in every last screenshot, &c&c, more than the mere existence of the functionality. I guess I've also slightly questioned whether it really "should" be a necessary function at all (I'd prefer it if there were a solution that didn't require special UI blinkenlights), but given that I myself have been using the survey tool to mete out land, I figured it something to a similar effect could be helpful enough.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:27 pm

Not having player markers was always an oversight. We never had anything against that, I don't think.

Idk... there are several features that I have a distinct dislike of as they are so terribly unaesthetic. Turning off the day/night cycle, flattening terrain, movement vectors. If we included grids in that I think the comment was more directed at the general spirit of uglying down the viewport for optimal performance, rather than at the feature per se.

I mean, on some level I don't really care all that much about how your viewport looks. One thing we have discussed recently is improving the screenshot tool, because I do dislike that people post this stuff to the media feed. Shadows turned off, flat terrain, terrain variants turned off, simple crops, grids, danger circles on animals, &c&c. Many such cases.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby DPblH » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:29 pm

strpk0 wrote:
DPblH wrote:Last time I'd played vanilla client there still was camera fixed to a four directions. Is this still a thing? Would it be fixed?

You can type the ":cam bad" command to get bad cam, even in default.

I like ortho cam. So, I hope, one day it will be more usable than current one.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:30 pm

The new player markers look good, BUT they are not visible enough. I want big marker that I can see when some unknown possibly hostile player appears on my view.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:32 pm

shubla wrote:The new player markers look good, BUT they are not visible enough.

Did you notice that the markers for yourself (and your party) vs the markers for other players are different? The other-player markers are pretty huge in my opinion.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:33 pm

jorb wrote:One thing we have discussed recently is improving the screenshot tool, because I do dislike that people post this stuff to the media feed. Shadows turned off, flat terrain, terrain variants turned off, simple crops, grids, danger circles on animals, &c&c. Many such cases.

Let us manually upload screenshots without the tool, we can make them nice if we want to. Just select the ones you want up there
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:34 pm

loftar wrote:The other-player markers are pretty huge in my opinion.

They are different but for me they appear to be the same size.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby noindyfikator » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:40 pm

Great update! Please consider adding
- option to "free" camera. Having only 4 view angles is very frustrating when moving from custom client
- option to see health of items in percentage eg. 75%, 25%

A lot of features from amber would be awesome, if you don't want to add them for "standard" players, please do it as "developer options for advanced users" for e.g. nightvision etc.
Last edited by noindyfikator on Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements