Game Development: Off Grid

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Off Grid

Postby Forik » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:19 pm

jorb wrote:
noindyfikator wrote:Great update! Please consider adding option to "free" camera. Having only 4 view angles is very frustrating when moving from custom client

:cam bad

You can activate it in the console.

Any way to get an ortho cam with unlocked cardinal directions through the console? Amber had this feature and it was really neat, just wondering if it could be enabled through the console similar to cambad.

That, and easier belt access would actually be the last features that I'd miss from Amber.

But yeah, all of these nice little default client additions are amazing!
Forik

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:57 pm

I would say that the only red damage indicator isn't very easy to read unless you have more than a couple of items next to each other so you can see which is obviously damaged. it doesn't have to be a percentage, but it definitely needs to be a bit more obvious as to how damaged an item is.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ardennesss » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:59 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I would say that the only red damage indicator isn't very easy to read unless you have more than a couple of items next to each other so you can see which is obviously damaged. it doesn't have to be a percentage, but it definitely needs to be a bit more obvious as to how damaged an item is.
but muh immersion!!
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:07 am

Ardennesss wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:I would say that the only red damage indicator isn't very easy to read unless you have more than a couple of items next to each other so you can see which is obviously damaged. it doesn't have to be a percentage, but it definitely needs to be a bit more obvious as to how damaged an item is.
but muh immersion!!

If we wanted the devs to really aim for an immersive experience, we wouldn't be asking for better colored or percentage damage indicators, but rather an image of wearing and broken items. So I don't even know what the hell you're trying to say here.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Ardennesss » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:14 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:
but muh immersion!!

If we wanted the devs to really aim for an immersive experience
Nobody wants that.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:29 am

Ardennesss wrote:Nobody wants that.

I wouldn't say "nobody," but I'm not one of them... I can probably point out a few names, and you could point out a few names, and if we compared lists, they might be the same few people.

But there's a difference between being immersive and removing any form of user feedback. Just look at how well damaged buildings are done in the Warcraft series. I don't have to look at my Town Hall's HPs to know it's under 50%. I have to see the percentage reported or have a couple of other damaged items nearby to determine exactly which shade of red an item is colored, and how many HP the item has left.
MagicManICT

Postby painhertz » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:29 am

Wanting to come back but there are so few people playing..... Is there any way to get more people onboard? Steam?
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:16 am

painhertz wrote:Wanting to come back but there are so few people playing..... Is there any way to get more people onboard? Steam?

Why should the game be on steam if the game fails to maintain interest of even its current players?

I don't think that people would get on if the game was on steam.

Steam has tens of thousands of games these days. There is literally ZERO reasons why steam would get people to play this game!
Steam would only be beneficial if the game would end up on its front page or something, but I highly doubt that it would happen.

Well okay, there is possibility that some people would stumble upon the game when searching for other stuff, but I don't think that it would result in any influx of players or so.

With survival keyword there are 11672 matches, H&H being one of them means next to nothing.'

I think a good example is wurm. Some time ago they added wurm online to steam, player peaks are around 500. But only because it was released quite recently on steam and there were some new world, I think. Player count has been steadily decreasing, just like in HnH...
And wurm is relatively well known title. Comparable to HnH in some means I think.

H&H is not good title for steam anyways. Way too niche game, and current mechanics and community toxicity, and the fact that devs are unable to deal with these issues, are not suitable things for wide audiences.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby painhertz » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:50 am

shubla wrote:
painhertz wrote:Wanting to come back but there are so few people playing..... Is there any way to get more people onboard? Steam?

Why should the game be on steam if the game fails to maintain interest of even its current players?

I don't think that people would get on if the game was on steam.

Steam has tens of thousands of games these days. There is literally ZERO reasons why steam would get people to play this game!
Steam would only be beneficial if the game would end up on its front page or something, but I highly doubt that it would happen.

Well okay, there is possibility that some people would stumble upon the game when searching for other stuff, but I don't think that it would result in any influx of players or so.

With survival keyword there are 11672 matches, H&H being one of them means next to nothing.'

I think a good example is wurm. Some time ago they added wurm online to steam, player peaks are around 500. But only because it was released quite recently on steam and there were some new world, I think. Player count has been steadily decreasing, just like in HnH...
And wurm is relatively well known title. Comparable to HnH in some means I think.

Good Lord..... sorry to trigger you, kid.

H&H is not good title for steam anyways. Way too niche game, and current mechanics and community toxicity, and the fact that devs are unable to deal with these issues, are not suitable things for wide audiences.

Good Lord..... sorry to trigger you, kid. I don't recall player numbers ever being this low with the original client.
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby Astarisk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:32 am

Loving the client updates coming out. I'd like to see the player indicator icons to be scaled up by a bit truthfully. I can't even notice it on the map between all the texture noise and other details. At times I can't even notice my own indicator despite knowing its in the center.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements