Game Development: Off Grid

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Off Grid

Postby LadyV » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:57 am

painhertz wrote:

I don't recall player numbers ever being this low with the original client.

Well when we had the very bad lag at night it got down to 2-4 people at times.
LadyV

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:42 am

LadyV wrote:Well when we had the very bad lag at night it got down to 2-4 people at times.

That'd be w6... I don't recall single digits, but it was definitely below 50 online consistently.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:27 am

jorb wrote:[*] Added player indicators to the minimap. The icons still need some work, but, in principle, there are two icon types, one indicating self and party members, and another indicating other players.

Well, they definitely need some work, and it would be nice if you won't delay it for long-term (it would be even better if you didn't commit such unfinished stuff at all):
- choosing an arrow as a marker, without it being showing the direction - kinda weird - i.e. make the arrow pointer indicate the direction of char facing
- making them all white is a bit off too - if Im moving through my base and see the marker near the wall - I wanna know is it one of my village-mates, or some unknown visitor. i.e. make the arrows get the color from your kin-list
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby AtoB » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:12 am

loftar wrote:The grid is perhaps a bit more controversial, but most of what I have against it is really just people playing with it on all day erry day and it being present in every last screenshot, &c&c,

Why not have a screenshot functionality that disables the skynet tactical overlays, resulting in pictures that do not make Jorb look for rope and a tree?
AtoB

Postby Fostik » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:52 am

jorb wrote:
  • We're planning on adding separate equipment slots for Mouth and Eyes, to support the all important "monocle, cigar, and amulet"-look. For that purpose, we have updated the "old" branch of the client git repository with stuff that customs will need to merge, on pain of crashing when we do make that change.

Me after this update, but with monocle in addition
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Schattengaenger » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:16 pm

jorb wrote:I do dislike that people post this stuff to the media feed. Shadows turned off, flat terrain, terrain variants turned off, simple crops, grids, danger circles on animals, &c&c. Many such cases.

I absolutly agree. I cringe every time I see People Posting screenshots with These Things on. Imagine a new player wants to check the game and sees this junk.
A mistake I see quite often is an active overlay of pclaims or vclaims. I don't know if people don't see the red tint on the ground tiles or are just to lazy to turn them off for a nice screenshot.
So it would be a nice Thing to have them automatically turned off for a screenshot like the UI that is being hidden.
Schattengaenger

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:20 pm

jorb wrote:e I do dislike that people post this stuff to the media feed. Shadows turned off, flat terrain, terrain variants turned off, simple crops, grids, danger circles on animals, &c&c. Many such cases.

Maybe the content needs to be censored accordingly, pictures that bring bad things of the game visible must not be allowed.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:37 pm

I mean we still got legacy's screenshots in the official screenshot's section. If you want to make the game look good for new players that ain't on us players.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby shubla » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:19 am

Apocoreo wrote:I mean we still got legacy's screenshots in the official screenshot's section. If you want to make the game look good for new players that ain't on us players.

It shows history of the game development and is important to tell the new people what the game was like when it all started!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby WowGain » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:22 am

shubla wrote:
Apocoreo wrote:I mean we still got legacy's screenshots in the official screenshot's section. If you want to make the game look good for new players that ain't on us players.

It shows history of the game development and is important to tell the new people what the game was like when it all started!

sure but they should probably be clearly marked as being of the legacy server to avoid confusing someone who's trying to get an accurate picture of the state of the game
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements