Game Development: Chicken Run

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Chicken Run

Postby Phaen » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:19 am

I appreciate the horizontal meter on things like water skins
Phaen

Postby MrM » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:01 am

talon00302 wrote:Need darker backgrounds on the quality of items because it doesn't stand out well against specific items and a persistent toggle.

^ Very much this + you can even see how the liquid indicator covers the number behind now. Image
MrM

Postby jorb » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:01 pm

The meter tries to optimize its resolution, quite simply, so it will be displayed along the longest axis of the item, with a preference for horizontal display on square items. Seems like a matter of taste, but the reason is that we display quality in the top right corner if the quality display is active, and we didn't want to block that.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:36 pm

MrM wrote:+ you can even see how the liquid indicator covers the number behind now. Image

Where does this happen? I can't think of any item that would display both a number and a level indicator.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Phaen » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:59 pm

loftar, symbel items have a number in the bottom right for wear. Many of them also hold liquids.

Pictured below: Drinking Horn, Tankard, Metal Mug
Phaen

Postby Agrik » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:12 pm

jorb wrote:The meter tries to optimize its resolution, quite simply, so it will be displayed along the longest axis of the item,
Erm... so the orientation will be different for some items? :? I'd say that's inconsistent and uncomfortable.

Also I'm not that sure that the resolution means much, as long as you can distinguish a nearly empty vessel from a totally empty one, and the same for nearly full vs totally full. But such cases IMHO are better shown by a special change in indication that flags totally empty and totally full states.

jorb wrote:Seems like a matter of taste, but the reason is that we display quality in the top right corner if the quality display is active, and we didn't want to block that.
MrM wrote:you can even see how the liquid indicator covers the number behind now.
Maybe then a vertical indicator on the left side would be better?
Agrik

Postby Apocoreo » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:45 pm

jorb wrote:The meter tries to optimize its resolution, quite simply, so it will be displayed along the longest axis of the item, with a preference for horizontal display on square items. Seems like a matter of taste, but the reason is that we display quality in the top right corner if the quality display is active, and we didn't want to block that.

Seems complex to negative point. So if I understand correctly, the location and size of the bar changes based on the item? Seems like it blocks the wear number on symbel. Hope that didn't take a lot of dev time, Amber's just has a blue bar vertical to the left of the item.

Not to be totally negative, it is a good addition. The colour changing based on what liquid is contained is a feature I've not seen in any custom client before, and is appreciated.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby shadowchris » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:54 pm

The fuck is this :?
W8 HLTU W9 Tartarus,Alfheimer,Niflheim W10 RiP, Dis
shadowchris

Postby tripp » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:43 am

this hat makes the game crash - character completely disappears and when dropped, client crashes completely
tripp

Postby jorb » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:04 pm

tripp wrote:this hat makes the game crash - character completely disappears and when dropped, client crashes completely

Likely somehow using an old client, or something?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements