Game Development: Onion & Bacon

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Onion & Bacon

Postby Ardennesss » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:52 pm

They commit crimes? Duh?
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby azrid » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:54 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:I mean, ye. I talk about it publicly every day. Murdering people with my friends is the entire reason I play the game.
Still, I have a lot more credibility than you

Theres more than murdering people when it comes to you.
Your whole credo is negatively affecting the game. You are a frequent user of exploits(for example the one that just got removed). Your credibility should be questioned when taking your suggestions into account.
SnuggleSnail wrote:I'm a meta-gamer. It doesn't matter how much fun something is, all that matters is how effective it will be in helping me achieve my goals.
azrid

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:26 am

So you literally can't even think of a single bad use for the army of crime alts after with multiple days & posts worth of effort

Thanks, that's all I wanted
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:45 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:So you literally can't even think of a single bad use for the army of crime alts after with multiple days & posts worth of effort

Thanks, that's all I wanted

Well, if azrid won't answer directly, and you seem to be so obstinate to act like the problem doesn't or has never existed...

Shubla's "murder boat party" is just one recent example.

The "Wall of Flesh" is a distant example. Not sure if/where any images still exist of it, but was an issue in legacy resulting in some rules added for spawning in characters, like the Wilderness Beacon. (this didn't even need crime alts, just naked bodies)

Plenty of times people have used bot armies to crash the server, crash clients, etc etc etc.

I'm sure plenty of others can be dug up from the past.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am

I mean, those are examples of alts being used.

Those are not examples of an army of alts being used in a way where teleportion is a prerequisite or big help in using them...
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:00 am

Teleportation of any sort is always a help in using alts. Pretty much one of those "Mr. Obvious" level points.

edit: Can I name a recent instance of where such was used? No, but I can't say so because I don't hang out in the Haven Discord, such hasn't been shared on the HnH forums, or such hasn't been PM'd to me. I'm also not a person people come to with exploits. They get directed to jorb or loftar or go there directly.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:24 am

MagicManICT wrote:Teleportation of any sort is always a help in using alts.

Explain this to me like I'm a toddler, because I'm really not getting it. How does it help?

If you're trying to make 100+ alts to body block people you're either individually teleporting them, then moving them away from the charterstone to do the bodyblocking. Seems like a thing that would a) never happen, b) could be achieved more easily by just spawning new chars, c) doesn't require crime

If you're trying to transport 11 alts to fuel your med from a knarr, it seems like the strat would be to just... Have them in the knarr.

I'm really not seeing even an edge usecase. I'd kill my alts to spawn fresh vandal alts at a beacon way more often than teleport an army of vandal alts to do whatever.
SnuggleSnail

Postby azrid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:50 am

The original quote wasn't even directed at you Snail. I feel like you think I am accusing you of something else beyond using exploits and being a serial new player experience ruiner.
azrid wrote:You'll have a worse experience if I and some other nerds teleport our army of crime alts to wreck everything.

You also have a simple answer in the original quote.
Crime alts in fact commit crime.
Its easy to build study tables and fill them once to build up a steady supply of characters with all the crime skills.
If you can't see the value of not having to invest more resources and time to build a character that does essentially the same thing then I don't know what to tell you.
Tactics like this have been used by expert level players since legacy.
The exploit that got removed in this patch makes it a lot weaker thankfully.

You are a different kind of alt abuser thats all.
azrid

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:54 am

azrid wrote:The exploit that got removed in this patch makes it a lot weaker thankfully.

Eh... Now you have to transport twice as many toons on a knarr from A to B so they can use that charterstone. Maybe a bit annoying, but doesn't seem like it weakens charter stone travel that much.
MagicManICT

Postby azrid » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:58 am

MagicManICT wrote:
azrid wrote:The exploit that got removed in this patch makes it a lot weaker thankfully.

Eh... Now you have to transport twice as many toons on a knarr from A to B so they can use that charterstone. Maybe a bit annoying, but doesn't seem like it weakens charter stone travel that much.

People expressed their hatred for knarr travel in this thread. And an added gatekeeper for that is will food.
Living far enough from criminal nests makes it safer as well. All those things combined seems balanced enough to me.
azrid

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements